Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2008 19:00

Inspiron 6000 Laptop shuts down/refuses to come back on!

I joined this community in the hopes that someone will be able to give me some clue as what it happening with my Inspiron 6000. 

Here are the details: Whenever the computer shuts down (Standby, hibernate, or full shut down), either b/c I power it down or just b/c I close the lid, the computer refuses to turn on again.

When I press the power button, the fan starts up, the power light comes on, the caps lock light blinks 9 times and then it turns off again. Happens regardless whether the laptop is plugged in or on battery.

I have discovered that I can get the computer to start up by holding down the "play/pause" button bellow the touchpad and pressing a bunch of keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This causes the computer to turn on and opens a program called Dell Media Experience (which I've only used occasionally before). Obviously, this "solution" is not ideal.

At this point, I'm afraid to let my laptop sleep or turn off for fear that it will never turn back on.  Any suggestions - anyone?

1.7K Posts

November 9th, 2008 15:00

Is it only the caps lock light that blinks?  When the system has problem during the power up self test it will show a pattern of lock lights (caps-, scroll- and num-lock) to indicate what test it was running when the failure happened.  Have you already checked in the "Solving Problems" section of the user manual to see what that error indicates?

3 Posts

November 10th, 2008 14:00

Yes, it is only the CAPS that blink.  I have looked at the online Dell Support site, which explains a number of the error codes, but 'only CAPS' is not one of the ones listed.  I completely cleaned the hard drive and restored the computer to its orginal purchase state.  Unfortunately,this did not fix the problem, confirming my suspicion that it is likely a problem with some physical component, not a virus or something like that.

No Events found!