Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2009 18:00

Poor / Worse Customer Service

I just experienced the worse customer service I have ever had from any company!!! I ordered a portable hard drive and had it was to be shipped the next day.  The order was scheduled to ship.  Suddenly, the order changed to shipping in 8 days.  With the order sitting "In Production", I called Customer Service and they told me that I could not cancel the order because they had sent a message to the vendor to ship it.  When I told the person that I still wanted to cancel it and that the website instructs you that you can cancel if it is "In Production", he told me they could not.  I asked to talk to a Supervisor and he put me on hold for 10 minutes to return saying his supervisor was not available.  He told me that the Supervisor would contact me within 4 hours and hung up.  I immediately pulled up my order and he had changed the order to "Shipped".  Absolutely, unacceptable!!!  I am still waiting to hear from a supervisor.  This will be the LAST order I ever place with Dell!!  My hope is that someone that cares about the company will contact me to fix this problem!!

1 Message

July 14th, 2009 18:00

I can sympathy with you as I am having the same problem my order was placed on the 16/6 and was told it would take 6 to 10 days, it seem perfect as we needed it for the end of financial year, we had a bookkeeper hired to close the books in our small organisation, and our order has been changed 5 times without an explanation.  I have also contacted Customer Service and have had the same response, today I insisted and wanted to talk to my contact  directly and again was told she was out of the office, this is the 4th attempt and again they asked for my contact number, I am still waiting for a reasonable customer  service delivery from DELL, and the funny thing is that the same computer is available at our local Officework shop I could have had this 5 weeks ago and I cant cancel the order....I expected more from Dell and I am sure we are not the only ones.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2009 19:00

Wow, it only gets better from here!!!  Finally someone calls me back....not a supervisor or manager....just another rep that wants to tell me that the item that wasn't available has shipped and I will get it back by tomorrow.  Then when I ask how this happens, she argues with me about the circumstances that lead up to the prior call I had.  When I tell her the incident details, she says "Do you want the tracking number or not". Amazing, simply amazing!!

2.2K Posts

July 14th, 2009 20:00

For what it's worth, I like Dell computers, but have never ordered a non Dell item from Dell. They are at the mercy of a third party vendor for order fulfillment.

If it were not available and had not shipped, I would understand your concern. But if I am reading correctly, this sounds like it has shipped. If so, what is the problem?

70 Posts

July 16th, 2009 14:00

There is a sorry pattern thay may happen to you on order inquiries. You call the dell rep., they ask for your information and name, you discuss your issue and after a few minutes, they transfer you another rep. who will "assist" you with your issue. The next rep. repeats this same process. This can go on for four or five rep. changes, and at the end you are told to call back for an update in 48 hours. Of course, with this stall, nothing gets done at all. I am waiting on a replacement order  that has been "In Production" going on three months! I can't believe how bad this situation is. I know I should have initiated a chargeback long ago, but am afraid it may be too late. Dell needs some kind of hotline for issue resolution, where answers are forthcoming to the customer, and action is taken quickly.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2009 16:00

I can relate to all of these problems and wish I had known and checked BBB site also, before my purchase. Dell has a terrible reputation for customer service (or lack thereof).  I have had my XPS630 for about 3 weeks. I spent $2100 on this system. When I ordered it, I was told I would have North American Tech support, only to find out I DON'T! They transfer you from one person to another and even hang up on you, without receiving any assistance. After many calls, I finally got a tech in Equador that not only helped me, but I unstood his broken English. In frustration,  I filed a complaint with the BBB that there is no North American tech support available to me as promised, nor is there any N. American Customer Service people. That was a few days ago. Now some guy from India keeps calling me to SELL me N.A tech support and telling me to return my computer, rather than give me what I was promised. This guy is not only hard to understand, but has no authority to negotiate a resolution. He has to check with someone else, putting me on hold, or even calling back the next day. Although I am pleased with my computer, if I keep it, what will tech support  and customer service be after my computer is a few months or years old? I really hate to keep it knowing there will never be any help from Dell for me.  This is totally insane... how can Dell stay in business with these practices?

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 18:00

Are you kidding?

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 23:00

No

1 Message

July 22nd, 2009 23:00

i have ordered a studio 1737 online on 7/14. and the edt is 8/14 what is that bull? i was hoping to have it sooner as i have important business and school work to get done. when i called to check on my order the indian woman whom i couldnt understand at all just simpily told me that its in production and when i asked her what that means she just repeated herself untill i got frusterated and hung up. what kind of customer "service" is that?

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 00:00

I, too, have suffered the same problem.  I ordered my computer on 28 June, and STILL haven't got it.  Am I ever sorry I ordered this computer from Dell - BIG MISTAKE, people, don't do it!  Seven to 10 days, was what they told me. 

8 Posts

July 28th, 2009 20:00

Looks like its happening to us all over the world, even over here in Australia.

Today, I sent Dell CEO, Mr Dell, the following email. Reading, your postings after I sent the email, and also from reading feedback on other blog sites, it would appear that I am not over reacting. What surprises me, is that these comments are through Dells own forum, so I am equally surprised not to see a response from Dell to quell these issues and turn the poor customer experience into something more positive.

Dear Sir,

As an Australian Customer, I am absolutely appalled with the customer service that Dell has provided to me.  I chose Dell, because I thought I was getting a superior and reliable brand - I believed this from past comments, however, I will never know as I have cancelled my order.

I cancelled my order because the delivery was double the time that I had anticipated.  This is when my troubles began. The customer service is the most unprofessional and worst I have experienced. Dell Customer Service Representatives are rude, they are unhelpful, and I still don't know if I receive my refund of AUD $548.99.  I have been hung up on, I have been refused the right to speak with a supervisor - your customer service representatives refuse to provide confirmation of my cancellation.

I have decided that after lodging a formal complaint with you, I will be lodging a formal complaint in my state, with Consumer Affairs Victoria, as I firmly believe that Dell are refusing to refund my money for a product that has not left your warehouse, and that I have not received.

I am frustrated that I have taken this amount of time to try and resolve the problem, however, in an economic and global climate as today, it really does not surprise me that international corporations, such as Dell deserve to fail, because they are not focusing on their customer service.

I really hope that I get my refund so that I can buy my mother the computer that I wanted to as a surprise.  Unfortunately, it was not to be Dell based on your poor customer service.

Please Sir, I have researched this online, and this is not a one off - it really is appalling.

Thank you for your time.

1 Message

September 4th, 2009 20:00

I have ordered many computers and they consistently come early. Now my computer has been delayed a week. I ordered an HP and a Dell on the same day. The HP arrived a few days later. The Dell, if it arrives at the new projected date will be more than two weeks later. Dell clearly has problems based on my web search.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2009 01:00

Well, I finally got my computer here in Australia many weeks later than they said. They are just pathetic that's for sure. The computer is very nice, but I could've got it from Office Works, or even The Good Guys have them and I would've had it that day, instead of paying out nearly $2,000 for weeks with nothing. I will have nothing to do with Dell On-Line again

November 2nd, 2009 20:00

I am having the same problem with their so called "cancellation policy". I ordered a laptop just yesterday(Sunday) to replace another Dell laptop that the screen stopped working on after only having it for not even two years. I also applied for their Dell credit line since this was an unexpected expense. On the payment screen I was given the option to split payment and put a portion on my dell credit and the remainder on my debit card. In the morning I was stunned to see a holding for the full amount on my bank account. I called right away in the morning and after navigating through many menus, I finally was directed to a representative and placed on hold for lengthy time period. I tried to explain my situation to the representative who didn't seem to comprehend it, I had to explain it several times, and he definitely sounded like he was reading from a script. He told me there was nothing they could do, and I could return it after it shipped. I told him this was not acceptable and asked to speak to his supervisor(Moses). His supervisor seemed as incompetent as the representative. He put me on hold several times and finally said they could do a balance transfer within one billing cycle to my dell account. I said again this was not acceptable to wait for the money to be placed back in my account for one month, amazing they can take it out so quickly and easily, but they can't put it back. He put me on hold again and came back saying the internal accounting said the money would be credited to my account within 7-10 days, I asked if that was 7-10 business days and he said no it would be 3-5 business days. I said that would work although I was still unhappy. He waited until nearly 8 pm to call my cell several times(I was at an event and couldn't take his call) to tell me that he just reviewed my account and my order is still in production(why wouldn't he "review" my order when I was on the phone with him to begin with) and wouldn't be invoiced until it was shipped, so he couldn't give me the credit. Why if it is still in production and not invoiced would my account be charged and why could they change the payment method or cancel the order, or cancel the order and then renew it under the same laptop being built with the correct payment method. I returned the call only a minute or two after he called and the representative I was directed to informed me had already left for the day. I asked to speak to the next supervisor and the representative refused to let me to speak to him. I told him he could just cancel the order then and he directed me to the Payment modification department where I was directed a very rude woman, who also would not help me or cancel the order and would not let me speak to her supervisor when I asked her on several occasions, her response was a rude, "They will just tell you the same thing I told you." She then transferred to a department that was closed. I called back and immediately asked to speak to the supervisor who at first seemed like he wanted to help me and said they could just cancel the order and reinstate it with the new payment methods. He put me on hold and came back to tell me it couldn't be done because it was in production. This wasn't even an actual cancellation, it was just to change the payment method. It's not like they would end up with custom built computer and no customer(although they will now in the end when I put a stop payment out through my bank). I also asked to speak to his supervisor, and he too wouldn't let me saying they "probably aren't even in because this is not our normal business hours." I said it is not my fault that the other guy waited all day to review my account and call so late at night and then step out two minutes later. This all could have easily been resolved if I weren't dealing with rude, incompetent dell customer service people. Now I will be writing bad reviews on as many websites as I can dig up and telling my friends and family not to order from Dell. I'm sure about 90 people alone at the function I was attending when having to rudely deal with this situation late at night already know.It's not like I waited a week and changed my mind, it was a day later and just to correct their mistake.. Horrible..

1 Message

January 10th, 2010 09:00

I am happy I found this thread on dell and all of you who commented on the customer service because I was contemplating buying a dell. I have been going around for 10 days with customer service for gateway/acer/emachine on a warranty and the same thing ,support comes from India,have no authorization to rectify problem only recite a troubleshooting procedure. If you want u.s help,they charge you . So I see dell is no better..can anyone suggest a brand? The one positive note for dell is they give us a forum to state our grievance and I am sure they read these….emachine/gateway/acer doesn’t give you this choice to let off steam.

468 Posts

January 10th, 2010 14:00

Depends on what you want.  If you are looking into laptops, I would go with Toshiba as that is all they make (no desktops).  Love them!

No Events found!