Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2008 12:00

dell 946 printer

Hello, I have a dell 946 printer that I have unplugged, disconected, uninstalled, re-installed and everything else I could think of to do to get it to work; however, it still doesn't work properly. Although the ink cartridges are new and it looks to be installed correctly it only prints the color portion of the pages I want printed. Maybe someone can assist me with this issue. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2008 15:00

Let's check to see that the printer is installed correctly. Then see what your printing results are.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

7 Posts

December 18th, 2008 11:00

Hi there, I have the same problem as this poster has and I have done all that you suggested in your post....still no black printing shows up!  I had Vista installed before and went back to XP pro and this problem just started when I put XP back on. Very frustrating!   Any more ideas?

Thanks for your time......Gary      

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2008 14:00

Gary,

After you went back to XP Pro, did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Get all your windows updates, especially net framework and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

7 Posts

December 18th, 2008 15:00

I'll go over your suggestions Rick, and see if I can get this worked out.  Thanks for taking the time ...Have a good Christmas! I'll let you know how if it works out.

~Gary

7 Posts

December 19th, 2008 07:00

Well Rick....I did all that you suggested...to the letter.... and still no  Black shows up on my printed pages...just colors show up. Not sure where to go from here, but it's a frustrating process thus far  :emotion-18:

thanks... Gary

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 19th, 2008 10:00

Gary,

You said these are New DELL Series 5 ink cartridges, correct. It's possible to get a bad ink cartridge. I would take the Black Dell Series 5 ink cartridge back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund. Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

I have a printer that uses Dell Series 5 ink cartridges and haven't had any problem with mine, but I usually order them from Dell's website and they take about 3 business days to get here.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 19th, 2008 11:00

Gary,

What happens when you try to copy a document on the printer using the glass, without using the computer?

Is Black there when you copy something?

Rick

7 Posts

December 19th, 2008 11:00

Yes Rick they are series 5. They both worked before on Vista, but after all I have done now to attempt to remedy, this seems like the only practical thing left to try, so I will try to get a replacement black and try that......thanks! Gary 

7 Posts

December 20th, 2008 16:00

Rick,    Upon scanning a back and white text page........ and printing it out.. the page is completely blank. I still haven't gotten around to change out the B&W cartridge yet

thanks Gary

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 21st, 2008 02:00

Gary,

Just wanted to check to make sure. It sure sounds like the black cartridge is bad, black & white = blank. That's one way to test the printer cartridges, with scanning.

Rick

7 Posts

December 21st, 2008 07:00

Ok..thanks for all your help Rick. I'm off to get a  new cartridge...........:emotion-21:

1 Message

January 4th, 2009 07:00

Rick,

I am having the same problem with my Dell 946.  It's not printing the black when I print from the computer, but it does print black when I make a copy.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers as you had noted previously.  Is there something else it could be?  I didn't start having the problems until I put in this new black ink cartridge (Series 5).

Thanks,

Eileen

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 4th, 2009 10:00

Eileen (Stormsep),

I really prefer that a new post be made. I have tried replying to a post a while back, then got confused with the other person that had the origional post. My suggestion would be to make sure to disconnect the printer, run the patch (a MUST on Vista Machines) provided for the 946 printer in the above post, restart your computer. Make sure that you have all the Windows Updates, especiall the net framework(custom update), which is needed to run many applications. Also make sure to have the latest Java. Install the proper drivers. Connect the printer when prompted. Then if the printer doesn't print at all, I have other steps to take.

I use Dell Series 5 ink cartridges in my 964 printer and I haven't had any problems with this issue. I usually buy my Dell Series 5 ink cartridges from Dell's website but the can also be purchased at Staples and Walmart.

If you continue to have problems, please make a new post, in the Printers Forum and explain what you have done. Does this only happen when printing when using a certain program?

Rick

No Events found!