Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2009 14:00

Having computer give me option to have it answer an incoming call as a fax

At one time, When I was on the computer & my home phone would ring, I would see a pop-up in the bottom right hand corner of my computer screen telling me that there was an incoming call and if I wanted to have that call answered as a fax, then I should click on the icon that the message pointed to in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  When I clicked on that icon, the computer would start receiving the fax.  For some reason this has stopped happening & I get no message giving me that option when I am on & the phone rings.

I am running a Dimension 4600 with Windows XP & I have a DSL hookup to the internet. 

I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me how to have the system once again give me the option of clicking an icon to have the computer answer the phone as a fax.  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 12th, 2009 15:00

You need a fax utility like the old Phone Tools to do that. I think you might be remembering when you had Dialup. With dsl, you no longer have dialup and cannot fax or answer the phone unless your computer's internal telephone modem (no relation to your dsl modem) is connected to a telephone jack and your fax software is running. DSL uses a different part of the phone line and does not interfere with your phone line and cannot be used for fax. Look up Fax in Windows Help for more.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 12th, 2009 16:00

miltozah,

In addition to what Mary said, you need DFSL Filters on everything, Phones, answering machines, faxes, etc..., everything except the DSL Modem/Router, itself. You may share a DSL Filter.

Wall > DSL Filter > splitter > Multiple devices

I have this program that might help you.

BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing

Don't know a lot about faxing. 

Rick

No Events found!