Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2013 11:00

Dell OMCI issues on certain machines

I have some scripts which set the WOL value and the BIOS Admin password which work great on 95% of the machines.  The other 5% of the machines I get the following error trying to set the BIOS password or WOL

Error: Exception calling "SetBIOSAttributes" : "Invalid parameter

The issue I've found between the machines that work and the ones that don't is the "SystemName" isn't set

If I run the following command "gwmi DCIM_BIOSService -namespace root\dcim\sysman" the value for "SystemName" is usually "dt:theservicetag"

How can I set this value on machines I am having an issue with? I've tried setting the asset tag via the BIOS and i've tried updating the BIOS to the latest version on two test machines but neither fixed the issue.

1.1K Posts

December 5th, 2013 14:00

If you have a blank service tag, that is probably due to the motherboard being replaced and the service tag not reset.  There is an Asset Tag utility that can assist with the reset if the option to set the tag is not available in the BIOS  Here's the link to the tool  http://downloads.dell.com/utility/ASSETA00.EXE

4 Posts

December 6th, 2013 07:00

The service tag value is set in the BIOS if I manually go in via F2.  Is this the "SystemName" value something I can set some other way?

1.1K Posts

December 6th, 2013 08:00

No, the service tag is a "write once" field which should only need to touched by a customer after a motherboard replacement (and that should be handled by a field tech if they were involved).  Since that is the only scenario, there isn't an automated method for changing this via OMCI or other management tool.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2013 08:00

So if the service tag is set in the BIOS correctly, then where is this "SystemName" trying to pull its value from?  It can't be from the Service Tag section since it is populated.

1.1K Posts

December 13th, 2013 14:00

The "SystemName" field should report "nb: " for notebooks and "dt: " for desktops.  If the portion is not representative of the actual service tag, then I can understand why there is a problem.  I'm not sure whether it is getting the service tag from Win32_BIOS or directly from the BIOS interface.  

If it isn't correct, open a support ticket to get it escalated to the engineering team.

No Events found!