Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2017 07:00

Nagios iDRAC SNMP plugin 2.1 do not appear to work correctly on R930.

Hello,

I am attempting to get the dell_check_idrac_snmp.pl Nagios check working with my R930 server. The server is running the latest BIOS and iDRAC firmware.  I have no problems with my R730 and C6320 servers.  But when I connect to my R930 I get:

ERROR: SNMP : No response from remote host

The only way I've found to solve this problem is to go into the perl code and increase the timeout settings.  I changed:

our $plugin_timeout = 75;

And then change "-timeout" in snmp_initialize to "60".

It seems that on the R9xx class servers, it can take the iDRAC longer to respond.  Perhaps there should be a method to allow the user to specify the timeout at the command line for check scripts.

Running /usr/bin/time on the various checks I see the following consistently exceeding the default "3" for SNMP:

ghs: 40 seconds

mem: 41 seconds

vlt: 8 seconds

ps: 4 seconds

with ghs and mem being the worst offenders, probably because my R930 has all 96 memory sticks in it and it takes a while to collect that data from the iDRAC.

August 1st, 2017 14:00

Hi,

We do indeed provide an option to change the common parameters using the command line. During discovery, depending on the protocol that you have selected i.e. WS-MAN or SNMP, you can set values for the protocol options in the parameter file ".dell_device_comm_params.cfg".

In your case, please do the following:

1. Edit $NAGIOS_HOME/dell/scripts/.dell_device_comm_params.cfg
  2. Change "snmp.timeout" value from default 3 seconds to 60 seconds.
  3. Change "wsman.timeout" value from default 60 seconds to 75 seconds.
  4. Rediscover the node again

HTH,

Anupam

No Events found!