Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 19th, 2018 10:00

3010, reset to factory settings?

I've got an Optiplex 3010  that is being given away & want to wipe & restore to factory settings.

Isn't there a factory image in a hidden partition on the HD?

When booting from DVD, repair computer, there are no images listed, or am I doing something wrong?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 19th, 2018 12:00

When you mess with the Drive partitions in any way you DESTROY the recovery partition.  That's where you are at.  Dell dropped support for F11 Norton Recovery, Dell Data Safe, Dell Backup and Recovery years ago now.

Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options

Dell has multiple options for recovering Windows operating system on your Dell PC.

Download Media Online

Use Dell OS Recovery Tool to download an image and create a USB flash drive that will install the factory version of Windows that was shipped on your device. Driver and software updates will be required after installation.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/optiplex-3010.html

Order Recovery Media

If you prefer to use a physical device, please contact Dell technical support to order a copy.

There may be a fee associated with this service.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 10:00

@mikey59 wrote:

If Win 10 was one of the options I could DL when creating the USB installer, I would have, but Win 7 was the only OS listed. If you're suggesting that I buy a copy of Windows 10 & install, just because I'm a nice guy, I think not. They're getting a free computer as it is!

If the Win 7 product code would activate Win 10, then I would do it.

BTW, that USB installer didn't work as I had hoped for - I still had to DL all the drivers...

And FWIW, I am running Win 10, myself, so I don't have anything against it!

"If the Win 7 product code would activate Win 10"  it will.

You download a windows 10 1803 ISO from Microsoft and choose HOME or PRO.

When you F12 boot from Flash Drive you tell windows 10 I do not have a key.

You then finish install.

Once Online you Run SLUI 3  from administrative command prompt and put the key from the windows 7 COA in.

Windows 10 will then activate.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

August 19th, 2018 11:00

@mikey59 wrote:

I've got an Optiplex 3010  that is being given away & want to wipe & restore to factory settings.

Isn't there a factory image in a hidden partition on the HD?

When booting from DVD, repair computer, there are no images listed, or am I doing something wrong?

There should be unless someone wiped it.

Dell has info about the procedure. Just Google!

If the original OS is Windows 7 you may want to consider upgrading to Windows 10 as the official Microsoft support for Windows 7 is expiring in 2020.  The upgrade is still free. You simply need to install Windows 10 then use the Windows 7 product key to upgrade.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 20th, 2018 08:00

Since it is being given away, I didn't want to upgrade to Win 10. Computer was running Win 8, but product key had Win 7 Pro.

The OS Recovery Tool is just the thing I need. If Win 10 would have shown as an available OS, I would have went that way, but Win 7 certainly better than 8!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 20th, 2018 10:00

8 is horrible which is why its already End of life and not supported.  7 is supported until 2020 and 8.1 is supported until 2025.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 10:00

@mikey59 wrote:

1. Since it is being given away, I didn't want to upgrade to Win 10.

2. Computer was running Win 8, but product key had Win 7 Pro.

3. but Win 7 certainly better than 8!

1. Why not?

For anyone to get any real use from it, it should already have Windows-10 on it when gifted-away.

2. Good. the lastest version of Windows-8 is called "Windows-10" :Smile:

3. No, I think that is incorrect. Windows-7 is very old code. The only exception I can image is if you are running it in a (Windows Server Domain) IT-managed (heavily locked down) business environment ... I would not be running it these days.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 20th, 2018 11:00

MSDOS is very old code or even CPM which came before Dos or the APPLE DOS from 1977 is OLD. Windows 7 is supported until January 14, 2020.

The Skylake Version of windows 7 is from JAN 2016 so thats not old. The Skylake chipset, was developed specifically to run with Windows 10. Users complained so on January 15, 2016 Microsoft announced new support policies.  Microsoft received feedback from customers at various stages of planning and deployment of Windows 10 expressing that they would benefit from some additional time to manage these migrations.

Based on this feedback, Microsoft updated the operating system support policies providing all critical updates for Windows 7 until January 14, 2020 and for Windows 8.1 until January 10, 2023.

SKYLAKE Windows 7SKYLAKE Windows 7

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

August 20th, 2018 17:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@mikey59 wrote:

1. Since it is being given away, I didn't want to upgrade to Win 10.

2. Computer was running Win 8, but product key had Win 7 Pro.

3. but Win 7 certainly better than 8!

1. Why not?

For anyone to get any real use from it, it should already have Windows-10 on it when gifted-away.

2. Good. the lastest version of Windows-8 is called "Windows-10" :Smile:

3. No, I think that is incorrect. Windows-7 is very old code. The only exception I can image is if you are running it in a (Windows Server Domain) IT-managed (heavily locked down) business environment ... I would not be running it these days.

When donating a PC, it is a disservice to not donate it with Windows 10 !

OP, don't let your biases effect what is most practical and useful.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

August 21st, 2018 22:00

If Win 10 was one of the options I could DL when creating the USB installer, I would have, but Win 7 was the only OS listed. If you're suggesting that I buy a copy of Windows 10 & install, just because I'm a nice guy, I think not. They're getting a free computer as it is!

BTW, that USB installer didn't work as I had hoped for - I still had to DL all the drivers...

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 18:00

@mikey59 wrote:

I don't know of any ISO that has the Dell drivers "built in".

https://www.urtech.ca/2016/02/solved-how-to-activate-windows-10-server-2016-through-command-line/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 24th, 2018 07:00

These Enterprise Models have WIN7  WIN81 and or WIN10 driver cab files that have all the drivers.

You download the cab file and extract to a folder with 7zip.

Then copy the folder to my documents.

Then right click on any yellow ! to update drivers  in the device manager and say install drivers from my machine instead of the internet and everything installs fine.

No Events found!