Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2018 11:00

7020, only boots OS with F12

Hi,

My Optiplex 7020 stop booting after a motherboard replace.

It only boots OS if I hit F12 and choose the hard drive in the menu.

If I plug any bootable flashdrive (like Hiren´s or a USB Windows installation media), it works like a charm.

I´m having a real hard time trying to figure it out.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Gama

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 27th, 2018 07:00

Swapping a MB out from underneath a live OS drive can be tricky sometimes now-days. UEFI Mode. Secure boot off for now.

Try reinstalling Windows with "keep files" option to re-align "Windows Boot Manager".

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

September 26th, 2018 14:00

What happens if you don't press F12?

5 Posts

September 26th, 2018 14:00

It shows a message that no boot devices were found, even with a Windows installed HD attached.

If a bootable flash drive is plugged in, the system in the flash drive boots normally.

205 Posts

September 26th, 2018 20:00

Check your BIOS settings and make absolutely sure your SATA and Boot settings are *exactly* the same as they were on the old motherboard, especially stuff like SATA ports enabled, boot drives enabled, AHCI on/off, etc.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

September 26th, 2018 22:00

As long as you replaced your motherboard, are you also familiar or somewhat familiar with BIOS?  After motherboard replacement, your BIOS settings may be different, especially if customized on the old motherboard.

1. Turn on all of your SATA ports in BIOS > DRIVES.  Remember to save changes.  Upon manually restarting, it will give you error msgs. for any not in use, which can be shut off later.  But 1st, does it now boot normally?  In BIOS > DRIVES, it should show you which ports have devices connected and if the port is on or off.

2. Another idea - Plug the HDD into a different SATA port.  Before knowing about turning on & off SATA ports in BIOS, I plugged an optical drive into different SATA ports until it was recognized.

As for #1, I used that method for 2nd HDD with success vs. trying guess one SATA port at a time in BIOS.

5 Posts

September 27th, 2018 04:00

I've already done the 2 options you gave me.

In my workplace I have sort of 200 identical desktops, which none had this kind of problem.

I suspect a defect in the new motherboard could be the cause.

Here´s a list of tried and failed solutions:

1. BIOS update.
  2. Copy all BIOS settings from a running system.
  3. SATA cable replace and port swap.
  4. 3 different HDs, 2 with Windows from a running system and 1 with fresh install.
  5. Erased NVRAM and set BIOS settings to factory mode.

205 Posts

September 27th, 2018 06:00

Does the drive even show up on the BIOS screens for system info, drives/SATA, and boot devices?

5 Posts

September 27th, 2018 10:00

Yes.

5 Posts

September 27th, 2018 10:00

It´s not possible.

In the last half of install process, it fails, showing a message that no boot devices were found.

If I point the hard drive as boot device via F12 menu, it will be installed.

I had tested already in UEFI and Legacy Boot modes with no luck.

No Events found!