Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

October 11th, 2018 13:00

7060, Windows 10 and SSD, USB boot (Acronis, Linux, etc)

My Tools:
Windows 10 Professional
USB 3.0 32GB flash drive
Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0 external drive
Acronis True Image 2019

Hello,

I have so far been unable to boot into USB.  My goal is to capture an image using Acronis True Image, and then push the image to another hard drive for a backup.  So far I have only been able to create an image from within Windows, I cannot begin the capture process from the Acronis USB rescue media.  Since using that is new, I tried my trusty, long-lived Linux Persistent LiveUSB (Mint distro), and I get the same result.  It isn't recognized.

-I've disabled Secure Boot, and it continues to fail
-I've enabled Legacy boot, and it continues to fail

Since I have actually created a clone from within Windows 10, I thought, "well, let me see if I can boot to that."  And low and behold, even with Secure Boot enabled, I was able to see the external disk drive in BIOS and boot to it should I choose.

So what gives?  I'm out of ideas, I've used the Acronis utility from within Windows 10 to create the Acronis rescue media (thinking perhaps my older Windows 7 machine was not creating the boot record properly), alas, I cannot see the USB stick in BIOS and therefore cannot boot to it.

Lastly, this is Dell BIOS Revision 1.2.14 for the OptiPlex 7060 slim. 

Thank you in advance!

3 Posts

I'm not sure why you've brought up Windows 7 at all.  That is not at all what I'm trying to accomplish.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

There is no legacy booting on a 7060 and windows 10 is the only supported os.

32 bit and Windows 7 is not supported on this model.

Please be aware that USB 2.0 and older removable media devices are not supported on systems using the new Intel SkyLake Processors. The Chipsets for the CPUs no longer support the USB 2.0 Hub.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS might work on this but any ole distribution under the sun is not going to work on a secure boot system  that does not support LEGACY booting of any kind.  Joes crab shack linux and mint and hushpuppy linux are not supported on skylake and coffeelake etc.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln151664/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

1. Do you need to Install Ubuntu on your Dell PC?
  2. Things to know and check before you start an install
  3. Setup the Ubuntu Install
  4. Install Ubuntu on your System
  5. Configuring the Ubuntu install
  6. Install complete

If you need to run windows 7 you should look at an older model like the 7050 or earlier.

My preference is 9020 Towers with core I7.

3 Posts

October 11th, 2018 14:00

I'm not sure what exactly the problem seems to be between you and I communicating, but it's failing.

The only thing you've helped me with, is that I realize I hadn't mentioned what version of Acronis True Image I'm using, which is 2019 (tried 2017 as well).

Please if you are not going to read my initial post, do not continue to respond.  My issue has nothing to do with working inside any Windows or Acronis environment.  Am I being unclear in what my issue is? The issue is that I cannot get the OptiPlex 7060 to even see the USB drive in BIOS.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

USB Drives are not visible in bios unless they are USB3 and GPT with Secure Boot UEFI.

Cloning a sata or NVME drive WILL NOT BOOT via usb.  You need windows 2 Go installation with compatible USB3 media and F6 drivers and and and and.

Bios is not a file system transfer utility nor is it able to format drives.

You should be able to get windows 2 go working via USB Drive.

I have only used the Sandisk SDSSDEXT-250G-G25 variety successfully as described in the video with RUFUS 2.5

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-250GB-SDSSDEXT-250G-G25/dp/B06WGPCW5L

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.5.exe

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/

The other catch not clearly explained is that you need a mac to download the ISO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZJpzPvqtk

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Windows 7 is legacy just as mint is and and and and.

Acronis has many versions and more than 15 of them do not support windows 8 or 10 because they are too old.

Neither Dell nor Microsoft support imaging or cloning.

Neither Dell nor Microsoft support Acronis software.

USB 3.0 support has been implemented in the following products:

• Acronis Backup (Acronis Backup & Recovery) - sarting with Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Build 13545;
  • Acronis True Image - starting with Acronis True Image Home 2010;
  • Acronis Dist Director Home - starting with Acronis Disk Director 11 Home
  • Acronis Disk Director 11 Advanced Workstation; Acronis Disk Director 11 Advanced Server;
  • Acronis Snap Deploy 4 or later

Disks are not detected

If the disks are detected neither in full disk/partition backup mode, nor in file/folder backup mode, then check the following:

1. If there is any non-Acronis backup software installed, try temporarily disabling it. See if this resolves the issue. Please also take a look at Compatibility of Acronis Products with HP Backup and Recovery;
  2. If there is any antivirus software, try temporarily disabling it. See if this resolves the issue;
  3. Download and install Acronis driver update:
    • Acronis Backup (Advanced) 11.5: request in Acronis Customer Central
    • Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5: SnapAPI 2140 (SnapAPI 1204 for Windows 2000)
    • Acronis backup & Recovery 10/11: SnapAPI 640
    • Acronis True Image 2016, Acronis True Image Cloud (Release 2016): request in Acronis Customer Central
    • Acronis True Image 2014, True Image 2013 by Acronis: SnapAPI 2140
    • Acronis True Image Home 2012: SnapAPI 685
    • Acronis True Image Home 2010/2011: SnapAPI 586
    • Other Acronis products: SnapAPI 380

(!) You will need to reboot the machine to finish the installation.

If you are using Acronis Backup & Recovery, you can circumvent the reboot requirement by restarting the Acronis Managed Machine Service:

Show Acronis Backup & Recovery: Restarting Acronis Managed Machine Service:

Disks are detected in file/folder backup mode only

If the disks are detected in file/folder backup mode and the drives contain only one partition, which fills the entire disk (this can be seen from Disk Management via Start-Run -> diskmgmt.msc), then these symptoms indicate that the drives might not contain a valid MBR (which is often the case with the new drives formatted by the disk vendor) and therefore are not supported. Support for such drives without MBR is planned for future versions. The solution is to reinitialize drives from scratch and ensure proper MBR is created on them:

(!) Please note that all the data from such disk is to be transferred to some other location not on this drive, since the below actions will erase all the data from the disk in question.

• Hit Start-Run and type in cmd
  • In the command line, type in diskpart
  • Issue the following commands:

list disk

-> and locate the number of the problem disk (let us consider the problem disk is Disk 1).

select disk 1

-> this will select Disk 1 as the target, and diskpart will run further operations with this disk.

clean

-> this will erase all disk formatting and overwrite the existing MBR with zeroes to make the disk uninitialized.

• Then go to Disk Management (Start-Run -> diskmgmt.msc) and initialize the problem disk:

See also:

More information

If the issue persists, please do the following:

1. Get AcronisInfo Utility;
  2. Screenshot your Windows Disk Management (Start-Run -> diskmgmt.msc). See also Creating Screenshots;
  3. Contact Acronis Customer Central with reference to this article and all collected information.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 11th, 2018 15:00

Can you boot from a Windows 10 Version 1803/1809 Bootable USB this should be setup to boot using GPT and be FAT32 formatted, your system should have it's UEFI Boot Enabled with Secure Boot.

P.S. you do not need a Mac to Download a Windows 10 Installation .iso. The Media Creation Tool is shown by default which you can Download the Windows 10 .iso with...

If you prefer direct download links (the installation .isos from Direct Download links cover slightly more Editions) you can change the view of the website on the web browser to show up as a mobile device. If using Edge, press F12, to open Developer Tools, select Emulation from the Drop Down Menu and use Microsoft Lumia 950XL as the Device. You will now get the Media Creation Tool opposed to the Direct Download Links.

Edge.PNG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 11th, 2018 21:00

I gave up on Acronis long ago.

I use Macrium Reflect. And yes, I've actually used it to restore/recover machines.

Inside Windows, you create a full image file with Verify on. 32gb sounds pretty small. I usually send it to a local USB-HDD.

You are done. You don't need to restore it, just keep it safe.

If you ever need to restore it, you can boot with Macrium Reflect Recovery (flash drive). You can restore that image onto "bare metal". It WILL boot on UEFI/SecureBoot systems because it's an Authorized Microsoft BootKit.

You can also do this (even with the free version) ... Daily Backups (with Monthly Fulls).

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-change-the-boot-order/m-p/6103206/highlight/true#M13206

No Events found!