Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2018 04:00

XPS 8930, change the boot order

Using Acronis, I cloned my fast SSD to an internal HD so that when the SSD fails, I will still have a bootable, working machine. I have been doing this for years. But now that I've upgraded my machine to a new XPS 8930,  Windows Boot Manager puts the original SSD fourth in the list and the cloned drive is first. I can boot to the SSD by hitting F12 during the boot and then selecting the SSD, but of course that is both slower & annoying! How can I tell Boot Manager to place the SSD first?   [NOTE:  While I am not a total noob, the information at      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/changing-the-default-boot-entry      was beyond me.]

THANK YOU!!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 27th, 2018 19:00

@Mr King wrote:

1. You say cloning my boot drive is not really a good idea, but you don't give any indication why it isn't a good idea.  

2. I ask because I have been following this practice for probably 20 years, and until now, I have had positive results.   

3. And just in case it modifies your thoughts, I also have two sets of external backups of my three internal drives. 

4. because the copies made with backup programs typically require that backup program to be installed for them to be read. 

5. Of course, the backup of the C: drive never backs up everything, as many of the system files refuse to be copied in this manner.  That behavior, actually, is why I began cloning the C: drive in the first place. 

6. Lastly, I backup to a set of external drives which I store offsite.  

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but to me ... Cloning is for swapping a drive. Imaging is for backups (and I use it for Cloning also).

1. Well, actually, I did.

- You can store it (or even move it) where-ever you want until you need it.

AND

- It's not using a whole drive that is wasted and could even un-knowingly go bad.
- The backup isn't already outdated the week after
- More reasons are below

2. While your methods might have worked at one time, I think it's obvious they need some updating (as you are having trouble). I think advances like SecureBoot, UEFI, and Windows Boot Manager is what changed.

3. Good deal. You can never have enough backups.

So, consider Macrium Reflect.
Automatic Scheduled Daily Differential Backups, and Monthly Full Backups. All to an external 3tb USB-Drive (or any other large space). Always have the last 90 days with Auto-Purge of oldest files.
- You can Browse the backups to restore a file or whole folder.
- You can Recover a whole system in minutes. It will be exactly as it was before.
- You can even grab and save a Monthly-Full for a Yearly Backup. Take it offsite, put it in the cloud, whatever you want.

4. Not sure why you find it unreasonable. Macrium Reflect schedules, logs, and verifies the Imaged backups (among other normal things). You really want to do all that manually? 

5. Right. But Imaging does not have that problem.

6. Image files can be duplicated, stored locally (on HDD or NAS), copied into the cloud, copied to a USB-HDD and taken off-site, whatever you want.

Does that help?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 21st, 2018 06:00

I use "Easy BCD"  it will allow you to configure the Boot order on a multi-boot system.  Just watch for any unwanted software (uncheck) during install.  

https://easybcd.en.softonic.com/

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

June 21st, 2018 09:00

Or you can try the change to Advanced system setting that was suggested here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8920-HDD-boot-priority/m-p/6097122#M12998

10 Posts

June 21st, 2018 09:00

The solution you suggested probably works fine for a system booting two different OSs, but both my drives are identical, so Win 10 is the only option which shows up, so there's no selection possible. 

I thought about it some more, and decided my best option was to open the case and simply unplug power from the cloned drive so the computer can't boot from it.  While aggravating to have to open the case every time I back up the C: drive, I typically only do that a only a couple times a year - depending on how often I make significant changes to my system's programs.  Of course, it does run a bit cooler and quieter without the fourth drive operating, and it also prolongs the life of the back-up drive since it isn't spinning all those hours.  Also, I expect it reduces the chance the back-up drive will die at the same time my main drive dies, since the back-up is now isolated from power line anomalies when it's unplugged. 

All said, while it's annoying to deal with, the pop-off cover design really makes it pretty simple, and I suppose the benefits more than offset the aggravation.  So even though I didn't find a solution in adjusting the windows or BIOS settings, let's consider this one "solved". 

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 21st, 2018 10:00

The solution is to make a "disc image" (backup) of the comlpete disc, all partitions, NOT a Clone.  Then you won't have two bootable discs.  

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 21st, 2018 11:00

What drive letter is assigned to the clone and what letter is assigned to the SSD?

62 Posts

June 23rd, 2018 08:00

You're supposed to disconnect the original and reboot after cloning.  You can then reconnect the original and remove it as a boot device from the BCD file.

10 Posts

June 27th, 2018 08:00

Thanks, Cbarnhorst.  I did the first part of that on my own - seemed like an easy, logical solution.  But I have no idea how to "remove it as a boot device from the BCD file".  Perchance do you know where I would find instructions on that procedure?

10 Posts

June 27th, 2018 08:00

Fireberd, That sounds like a great idea, but leaves me a bit perplexed.  The whole point was to have a bootable disc - albeit held in reserve - so that I can boot from it when the main boot drive fails.  I am thinking if I do a disc image backup it can easily be made bootable (?) but if that is true, I don't know how to accomplish that task.  Could  you explain that process to me or perhaps point me to a resource?  Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 27th, 2018 11:00

@Mr King wrote:

1. The whole point was to have a bootable disc - albeit held in reserve - so that I can boot from it when the main boot drive fails. 

2. I am thinking if I do a disc image backup it can easily be made bootable (?) but if that is true, I don't know how to accomplish that task.  

1. Not really a good idea. It's better to Image your whole system (or maybe just the C: drive) to a Image-File (with Verify on). It's your whole working drive "in a time capsule" if you will. You can store it (or even move it) where-ever you want until you need it.

2. Not really. In the case of Macrium Reflect ... you would boot with the Macrium Rescue FlashDrive and tell it to restore the image-file to your C: drive. In a matter of minutes, the drives will be reverted back to the exact way they were when you created it. It can even be done against "a bare metal system" which means all the drives are working, but completely blank.

10 Posts

June 27th, 2018 13:00

Tesla1856, thanks for those thoughts.  I have a followup question, and I hope you can help me with it.  You say cloning my boot drive is not really a good idea, but you don't give any indication why it isn't a good idea.  Could you please elucidate? 

I ask because I have been following this practice for probably 20 years, and until now, I have had positive results.  I say that it has been positive results because the one time I experienced a C: drive crash, I recovered from it in just minutes.  All I had to do was f12 into the BIOS and tell the system to boot from the cloned drive, and it worked perfectly.  I did have to reinstall a program I had loaded since my last clone, and of course I later removed the bad drive, replaced it with another, and then cloned C: to it, making it my backup.   

And just in case it modifies your thoughts, I also have two sets of external backups of my three internal drives.  (Actually is four internal drives, but it is three in that I don't back up the one which is a clone of C:)   I make those with the copy command at the command prompt, and that's because the copies made with backup programs typically require that backup program to be installed for them to be read.  That's always bothered me, as I didn't want to be without access to my files should (a) maybe it takes a while to find and get that program running, or (b) should the base OS change enough that the backup program is no longer functional.  With files copied via the copy command (or drag and drop) I can read them on any PC.  Of course, the backup of the C: drive never backs up everything, as many of the system files refuse to be copied in this manner.  That behavior, actually, is why I began cloning the C: drive in the first place.  Lastly, I backup to a set of external drives which I store offsite.  I rotate backups between the locally stored set and the offsite set, never doing them both together.

10 Posts

June 27th, 2018 21:00

. . . and this is why you are a rock star.  Thanks! ! ! 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 28th, 2018 11:00

You didn't mention which external drives you use for backup, but Seagate (and probably Western Digital too) offers a free  version of backup software. Seagate calls theirs DiscWizard which is a "limited" version of Acronis. DiscWizard can be downloaded from Seagate site, as long as it detects a Seagate USB drive connected to the PC.

DiscWizard only makes a complete image of a hard drive, rather than incremental updates like Acronis, but a complete image is fine for "cloning" a hard drive. Their software can also create a bootable CD so if/when an internal drive fails, you boot from the CD and use DiscWizard to transfer an image stored on a backup drive to a newly installed internal HDD.

DiscWizard compresses images so they use less space than on the HDD being imaged, so you can probably store a couple of images on a backup drive. And if you accidentally delete a file from your internal HDD, DiscWizard will let you open an image, find the file you want and copy just that one file back to the HDD.

I image my internal (boot) HDD and a Seagate USB HDD containing "primary" files to a second Seagate USB drive on a regular schedule to keep current. And I delete older images if I run out of space on the backup HDD.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 28th, 2018 12:00

The Free Macrium Reflect is a full featured disc imaging program.  I used to use, and recommend, Acronis True Image but it failed me twice trying to restore corrupted drives.  Acronis didn't get a third chance. Macrium Reflect seems to be the most popular on other computer forums I'm on.  Macrium is what I recommend to the local clients I support and all but one use it.  

10 Posts

June 29th, 2018 05:00

I had problems with Acronis as well - the clone operation would only work if I booted from their bootable media.  It worked then, but I wasn't satisfied with that kludge of a fix.  I will say, however, their team was diligent in trying to resolve the problem, and ultimately provided me an upgrade to a newer version (Acronis 2018) without charge.  It has worked fine since then. 

As previously stated, I prefer backups which are readable in their native state.  I am not concerned about saving disk space with compression (a benefit, of course, of proprietary formats) and strongly prefer my backup copies be readable by any machine, immediately, without having to do any kind of restore process.  As was stated earlier, and as I know from experience, even if you use a backup program's validate function, sometimes those restores just don't work.   So while copying files via the OS also isn't 100% foolproof, I always test at least a few random files from my backup sets to be sure they are readable.

All that said, I already took a few minutes to look at the Macrium web site and will be doing a bit more research into their product.  Even though I've been bitten (more than once!) by other backup software, it may well be worth a switch.  Have to say, though, even if I employ the routine you suggested earlier, I almost certainly would also use the occasional copy of my drives as well.  External drives are cheap, and loss of my data, even if it's just a short-term problem, would be a huge issue for me.

No Events found!