Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2019 09:00

790, Apex Legends freezes

Hi all, I am not quite sure my problem is related to ''DELL'' forum. But i had to try it. I installed new PC using one of my oldest chassis.

Please see the details below :
Windows 7 64 Bit
Storage :240GB Toshiba SSD
Graphics card : GTX 970 4GB DDR5 Directx12
Mainboard : Optiplex 790
RAMs : 4x4gb 1333 Mhz Kingston DDR3
Processor : i7-2600 3.4Ghz
Cooler : Original Intel Stock Fan
PSU : Platoon 600Watt

Details about my installations I believe you may need to know!

To POWER my graphics card, 4 pin x2 cables and 6pin x1 cable were free. GTX 970 requires x1 8pin and x1 6 pin. I used 2 adaptors to make it possible. My free 4 pin x2 cables becomes 6 pin and my 6pin becomes 8 pin. This is how i power the graphic card. Please have a look at the pictures for it.

Few Questions and info :
Is it okay that some of processors are 0% sometimes.
Is it possbile that this temperature is HIGH for i7-2600?
During these freezings, none of CPUs are %100!
During these freezings, GPU's is not %100 !

20190420_154746.jpgaaa.jpgIMG-20190422-WA0000.jpggtx970.jpg

My problem is, while playing Apex Legends, it is freezing for few mili seconds. My settings are fixed to keep the game FPS at 60. I do get it perfectly, but when this freezing thing happens, it is reducing to 56-57 for few mili seconds and it increases to 60 again. I have tried almost every possible options reading all internet forums about it. Here is the list of them.

- I turned off INTEL TURBO BOOST and tried
- Turned of speedstep or C-State option and tried
- Tried MAX FPS settings for Apex Legends on Nvidia Settings
- Tried in-game settings
- Run the game as administrator and also in compatibility mode for Windows 7
- Tried to REPAIR game
- I updated all of my drivers for motherboard and graphics card as well.
- I did untick ''number of processors'' options in msconfig>start
- Power settings for Windows and Graphics card are set to be ''Max performance''
- Game is running using ''GTX 970'' not onboard.
- in nvidia panel I changed ''configure surround physx'' to CPU instead of Graphics card as well which was automatically selected as GPU 
- I have tried ANOTHER i7-2600, result is same.

What i have not tried yet :
- I did not remove RAMS 1 by 1 to check if there is a defective RAM.

Inform me please, all advices are appreaciated! Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 29th, 2019 10:00

I own a 790 and have an EVGA 750B1 power supply with CORE I7 2600 and GT1060 6 GIG video card and it works fine.

Its not overclocked nor is it unstable.

Any issues with cooling and stability are related to the power supply and video card.

There is nothing inherently unstable about a 790.

The fact that your power supply DOES NOT COME WITH 2 x 8 PIN aux power connectors for PCI-E video should be a clue as to what the unit is OR IS NOT capable of.

6-pin power connector can supply 75 Watts to the graphics card. So if your graphics card power consumption is more than 75W then it will have one 6-pin PCI-E power. A graphics card with one 6-pin power connector can get maximum of 150 Watt as it will get 75W from the PCI Express x16 slot and 75W from the 6-pin connector. Having an 8 pin is equivalent of 2 x 6 PIN. So 1 6 PIN plus 1 8 pin IS 75 + 75 + 75 + 75 from the slot. That's 300w and that's also what the PCI-E power spec says.  Telling people that cards only use 148w is bad advice.

TDP 148 W  = Power Connectors  2 x 6-pin

TDP 300 W  = Power Connectors  1 x 6-pin AND 1 x 8-pin

TDP 375 W  = Power Connectors  2 x 8-pin

300W cards use 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin300W cards use 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin

300w cards have this connecton.300w cards have this connecton.

Graphics Card Power Consumption in Watts

PCI Express x16

6-Pin Connector

8-Pin Connector

Total Power

75W

75W

75W

1 x 75W

150W

75W

1 x 150W

225W

75W

2 x 75W

225W

75W

1 x 75W

1 x 150W

300W

75W

2 x 150W

375W

8 Posts

April 28th, 2019 12:00

Hi all, I am not quite sure my problem is related to ''DELL'' forum. But i had to try it. I installed new PC using one of my oldest chassis.

Please see the details below :
Windows 7 64 Bit
Storage :240GB Toshiba SSD
Graphics card : GTX 970 4GB DDR5 Directx12
Mainboard : Optiplex 790
RAMs : 4x4gb 1333 Mhz Kingston DDR3
Processor : i7-2600 3.4Ghz
Cooler : Original Intel Stock Fan
PSU : Platoon 600Watt

Details about my installations I believe you may need to know!

To POWER my graphics card, 4 pin x2 cables and 6pin x1 cable were free. GTX 970 requires x1 8pin and x1 6 pin. I used 2 adaptors to make it possible. My free 4 pin x2 cables becomes 6 pin and my 6pin becomes 8 pin. This is how i power the graphic card. Please have a look at the pictures for it.

Few Questions and info :
Is it okay that some of processors are 0% sometimes.
Is it possbile that this temperature is HIGH for i7-2600?
During these freezings, none of CPUs are %100!
During these freezings, GPU's is not %100 !
Today, i used overclock option of MSIafterburner on CPU and it seemed to me like, time between these freezings reduced for a little bit. Not %100 sure.

20190420_154746.jpgaaa.jpgIMG-20190422-WA0000.jpggtx970.jpg

My problem is, while playing Apex Legends, it is freezing for few mili seconds. My settings are fixed to keep the game FPS at 60. I do get it perfectly, but when this freezing thing happens, it is reducing to 56-57 for few mili seconds and it increases to 60 again. I have tried almost every possible options reading all internet forums about it. Here is the list of them.

- I turned off INTEL TURBO BOOST and tried
- Turned of speedstep or C-State option and tried
- Tried MAX FPS settings for Apex Legends on Nvidia Settings
- Tried in-game settings
- Run the game as administrator and also in compatibility mode for Windows 7
- Tried to REPAIR game
- I updated all of my drivers for motherboard and graphics card as well.
- I did untick ''number of processors'' options in msconfig>start
- Power settings for Windows and Graphics card are set to be ''Max performance''
- Game is running using ''GTX 970'' not onboard.
- in nvidia panel I changed ''configure surround physx'' to CPU instead of Graphics card as well which was automatically selected as GPU 

What i have not tried yet :
- I did not removing RAMS 1 by 1 to check if there is a defective RAM.
- I may find exactly same processor and try it (another i7-2600)

Inform me please, all advices are appreaciated! Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 29th, 2019 03:00

Platoon 600W is extremely TOO SMALL for 350W GPU.

Each 6 pin connector is 150W.  6 + 8 PIN = 350W

EPS12V states a 24 pin + 8 pin connector and 80 percent efficiency.

That means you need bare minimum EVGA 700B1 power supply.

B2 BQ G2 series from the same vendor has insufficient power combined on the 3.3v /5v rails.

The other issue is the GTX 970 itself.  ALL 970'S are defective.

They don't use 4 gigs of video ram properly.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2875740/nvidia-explains-geforce-gtx-970s-memory-performance-issues-admits-error-in-specs.html

gtx 970 BUGgtx 970 BUG

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Tester-100-B1-0700-K1/dp/B018JYHBE6

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 29th, 2019 03:00

An OptiPlex (any model) is NOT a "gaming" PC.  They are sold as business systems.  

Gaming is worst case for a PC and especially one that is not specifically designed for gaming.

As highly modified as this unit appears to be a non-Dell forum would be the best place to try and seek help.  

8 Posts

April 29th, 2019 07:00

Posted it twice. Please check below!

8 Posts

April 29th, 2019 07:00

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Sadly, this forum is full of Gaming pc with Optiplex 790 and they are running these cards with no issue.

I am aware of 4gb V-RAM issue, i have set it to 2gb (LOW) already.
Even using 500watt, i7 4th,5th,6th generation processors and GTX970 run together as i read forums on internet.
Considering the technology they have used on cards, unsufficient volt/watt would cause NO SCREEN i believe?

Power consumptions : 

i7-2600        95W
GTX 970      292w ( Where did you find it to be 350W?, just calculating max WATT that 8 pin and 6 pin can pull?'' Okay lets assume 350W
SSD : Active Power:  1.6W
DDR3 Rams x4 = 3x4 = 12W
Case Fan : 6W wat
High End Motherboard : 80WAT MAX

Total is lower than 550 it seems?

Inform me please, thanks!

2.5K Posts

April 29th, 2019 08:00

this 970 uses only 145 extra watts, not 300 not 500 ever. that is its maximum demand, on card only. (full load)

proof is here, best of all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_900_series

so any PSU like yours, that can do that, above the normal current load, of the mobo , CPU ( 95watts)

then you have enough this is called a power budget, than any person with full electronic training can do.

we do the full budget , now and even future.  and add say 100watts more for FREE board. (margin of safety)

your mobo is stock dell right, I seen no z370 there, or the like (high end) like I have, now typing away.

your PC could have came new with a 265watt PSU, so you upgraded it , or someone did

also know that noName PSU the stickers on the side can be a pack of lies,, buy a corsair?

my dell 3020 with 550watts run gtx660 (120watts) ok.

freezing the game only freezes even in not full screen mode, no game named, COD?

freezing and Control +alt+ delete key is dead, or is not dead and you go nuke the game there and the disktop dead to.. define freezing under all condtions,

also saying the black screen word is wrong, learn that if power drops, the OS will crash.

all chips in the PC every one must have full clean DC power or it will CRASH, freezing sure.

how bad it freezes is KEY here and unstated, learn how to use taskmanager, and how to gain the desktop while even in a game (w10 64bit what")

the 350watts is the connector and power rating just on it,  ok??  your card will never ever use, 350 watts

in fact the worst card ever by Nvida was 300watts max, GTX690 hog of the century card.

here is  list of the hogs, (page is nonprofit, org)

http://pcdied.com/intel-magic/Dell/3020/GTX-TPD.html

freezing has many causes, not  just GPU card overload.

1: HDD bad.

2: OS corrupted.

3: bad RAM DDR>

4: bad PSU. or junk bands, with lies for AMPS.

5: The GPU card this old can be bad. buy a GTX1050 that sips only 75watts max , I have 50 top games running on it. now. no issues ever. and a box full of older GTX power hogs that I use to test PSU's,etc./

numbers above 1050 all need MORE POWER< watts. and a AUX ATX12v power cable from PSU.

that 970 jack only draws 12amps max ,the reason for so many pins and jacks is not power but so it can work with older PSUs, even one pin can do 9amps, so 2 is plenty (molex spec, 9amps per pin)

stop overclocking it (basic basics 101 , pure physics)

nobody on earth has  Platoon 600Watt , I call junk PSU here,  ok?

I'd for sure get a better GPU card, others say this has issues, and may be true, check that out.

1050 , no PSU upgrade needed .

or 1060 for vastly more performance.  120 to 200 watt range (card only)  but  runs games fast. FPS.

2.5K Posts

April 29th, 2019 08:00

I missed this word:

overlocking I pass, why do that, then gripe freeze ,it is so contradictory , i'm floored.

it freezes for few milliseconds, really? the human brain limits this to  13 milliseconds (super humans rare)

few = 3, so... is bogus.

ever heard of Flicks or watch 1920 movies at the then slow frame rates< and the movie is not good, in fact flickers

this is why we call them flicks today, at 20 fps.  they don't,  back then 16fps, or even slower hand cranked camera;s then. 

are you confusing internet , multiplayer (are you) delays?

my guess you meant a delay of 100s of millisecond's mS:

most folks call freeze, as  solid freeze not a simple delay. ok? or a stall,

game freeze

OS freeze up

all things freeze.

all different causes.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2019 09:00

Hi Sir, thank you for your time but it is quite hard to undrestand you. I'm not looking to replace any of my components here. So buying new GPU is not an option! I have tried new i7-2600, result is same. It starts to freeze randomly for really short durations after CPU reached +70 degrees. (you may call it coincidence). In a week hopefully, i will have installed darkfreezer x92 and will try it. meanwhile i can try removing RAMS 1 by 1 maybe!.

8 Posts

May 5th, 2019 12:00

Hi all,

I have replaced my powersuply with FSP 700Watt and replaced my stock cooler with darkfreezer x92 cooler. It reduced my under-load-highest temperature by 12degrees. Considering i have changed 2 components at the same time, i'm not quite sure which one solved my issue.

As a result, it seems it is solved.

Thank you all.

No Events found!