Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

13 Posts

May 28th, 2019 22:00

9020 MT, sata ports

Hi all,

There's a similar post (there's was the 9029 SFF) on here asking this same question, from 2017-- never answered.

Here I am, two years later, asking again:

The user manual for the Optiplex 9020 FULL TOWER states that the board has:

SATA 1, 2, & 3. This board has 4 ports in total....there are NO markings on the board re: slot speed.

WHICH ONES ARE WHAT SPEED? Honestly. Question has been asked EVERYWHERE on the internet. WHY can't Dell ANSWER any of them?

It's ridiculous to rely on "the community" when most questions are similar to mine: Dell NOT disclosing basics of their own systems and then IGNORING support questions from their own clients.

If this setup weren't a favor I'm doing for some older folks, I'd have tossed the thing and gotten them a 2nd-hand anything else.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 29th, 2019 07:00

The first slot is SATA 0 and that must contain the boot drive. It is marked but you need a flashlight to see it. It is usually the top slot.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 29th, 2019 16:00

THIS POST IS ONLY A PORT SPEED QUESTION SATA ON THE MT.

THE MOBO HAS THIS CHIP AND THIS SHIP RUNS THE 4 PORTS.. ALL  ARE TH ESAME.

the INTEL Q87. SOUTH BRIDGE RUNS THIS PORT, set.  period. always see what your  Q87 can do.

here is the intel page  to read, one drawing

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/images/embedded/16x9/shark-bay-desktop-block-diagram-16x9.png

6Gb/s

END STORY..

13 Posts

May 29th, 2019 22:00

This is a DELL computer and it is up to DELL to inform the buyer of what their computer's specifications are. No customer should need to go to the internet to try to find out, or guess, what their DELL hardware is.

101 Posts

May 29th, 2019 23:00

TracyLF,

Please know MOST OPTIPLEX / DELL owners have 'no idea' what is under the hood...  nor do they care.

Follow the SATA cable from your Hard Drive (*boot drive) back to your motherboard.  THAT should be/ must be SATA "0".  Your CD/DVD SATA cable should go to SATA "1" as another OP said...

About the only exception I can think of is IF you have your System "booting" from your CD Drive or from a USB port?

TracyLF, please know your answers have (almost always) been just a few keystrokes away...

Go to GOOGLE and search for "Optiplex 9020 MT SATA Ports" and be SURE to select "Images"... find loads of photos there with lots of nomenclature.  Sure hope these links work!

9020 MT SATA PORTS

OPTIPLEX 9020 OWNERS MANUAL

See page 29 (please)  Item "16"... is that "BLUE" connector marked SATA 0 ?  Now this is NOT written in stone, but the BLUE connectors are (most times) the fastest... same with USB connectors too...

ALSO see page 54!

'SATA 1.5, 3.0 and 6Gbps'.  

Anthony

13 Posts

May 30th, 2019 05:00

What you're not grasping isn't that this can't eventually be figured out-- it's that we should not be the unpaid testers for DELL.

1) DELL should clearly include this sort of info (ditto, including maximum RAM support, which is nearly never listed) for THEIR products. DELL should include stats on items which are end-user upgrade-able, at the very least.

2) Because DELL refuses to do their job (see 1), people are essentially told to "bugger-off and find your own answer". Spending hours online & searching, then unable to corroborate a mish-mash of differing opinions, you just end up with nothing more than "fingers-crossed". Hardly something to hang your hat on.

101 Posts

May 30th, 2019 14:00

YIKES, TracyLF!

Calm down, please.

Know a huge number of "Systems" are built to spec. and must agree with contracts.  Most WANT CD/DVD Drives, some buyers do not!  Some want USB ports enabled, others do not.  Some order with 'bare bones' memory and others expect to do heavy graphics and order MORE memory.  Some plan to boot from their 'network' so tiny (low MB) hard drives are ordered...

Often companies like DELL and Office Depot team together... the create a LARGE order with 'everything' installed (or stripped down) and those special "DELL SYSTEMS" go on sale... to Staples or Office Depot specs!  But the buyers can also be a 'State', county or school district buying Systems by the hundreds... same deal, DELL "bids" and builds to contract... so "things" change even with YOUR 9020!

I bought 2 DELLS from Staples years ago. They had colorful full page stickers on the sides with ALL the specs.  I soon tired of seeing the stickers so I carefully pealed them and stuck them to the inside of the covers... and no, information about which SATA Port is "0" was not included.

So please, TracyLF... your System BIOS usually tells you almost *everything* you need to know without pulling the covers or taking things apart!  CPU / memory specs./ drive information, even the BIOS version number and much more!  NO troubleshooting or disassembly required!  

Your product was launched in mid 2013... thankfully generous and FREE documentation is provided online!  As a system ages those docs often fade away.... but YOU still have your BIOS to refer to ~ unless a system is totally dead or has no display.  Heck ~ some used systems are sold with NO DRIVES and NO CABLES... what then?  LOOK at the motherboard for "SATA 0"... provide a new SATA cable and connect your BOOT Drive to it.  If it is NOT marked, make a guess and TRY the outside (motherboard) SATA connectors first.  How tough is that?

Honestly, if all this is asking too much... take your system to a 'shop' and let them worry about things... take the money you have left and buy yourself a beer.  This is my last reply to you.

Anthony

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 30th, 2019 21:00

13 Posts

May 31st, 2019 07:00

I'm perfectly calm--- just calling when it's obvious and avoidable. The motherboard is all that I spoke of. That wouldn't change. End-user replaceable parts on the board (in addition to being physically marked) should be supported within the manual, as well. I mentioned specifics so as not to have alarmist/apologists anything to work with, but you managed anyway. Who fights so hard against consumer rights & common sense? 

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 31st, 2019 07:00

never say , never !

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 31st, 2019 08:00

there is no PC maker that has  spec, deep enough for tracy,

but you could start your own post and ask  tech question.. not hyjack this post with hate.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

lost but not forgotten, I have mine, why can not YOU... (first google hit ,now lost at dell.com)

there it ,with errors inside..  see page telling SATA v2,  lies. and the contradictions on SSD .

the book is missing on Dell. now..  dell got rid of a real spec book, now  (progress)?

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

I told you what you needed to know, why hyjack this post to complain,?

NO PC ON EARTH has a book/spec, or what eva,  on it to make you happy,

none.

end story.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

we answered you question what is the problem now,? on 6 year  old PC.

13 Posts

The motherboard is all that I spoke of. What are you blathering on about?

An industry standard needs to be applied to supply the proper direction and instructions for the end user to upgrade/maintain end-user replaceable parts.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 31st, 2019 10:00

The 9020 vs  9010 is extremely proprietary.

Power supply in particular uses 8 pin not 24 pin connector.

MODDIY CAB359  cable or equivalent.

This is not however supported by Dell.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-7020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Ca...

Dell OPTIPLEX XE2 9020 3020 Precision T1700 T20

DPN 7VK45 T1M43

365W

Here is the Pinout for th 8-pin power plug (instead of the standard 24 pin plug)

Black = Ground
White = 12 volt
Green = Power On (just like on EPS 12v)
Gray = Power Good (just like on EPS 12v)
PURPLE = 12 Volt Standby (NOT present on EPS 12v)

On EPS 12v, the purple is 5 volts, NOT 12 volts.

The following Dell OEM full height but short video cards 8.5 inches or less fit into the 9020 case.

Secure boot must be OFF with CSM ON for non Dell video cards.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

OEM 365w PSU =
7VK45 365w, Huntkey
T1M43 365w, Delta

T1M43  Delta  CN-0T1M43-17972-33B-00L0-A00

HU365EM-00 7VK45  Shenzhen Huntkey

There's also a guy Raphtec who made his own adapter.
https://raphtec.wordpress.com/projects/dell-poweredge-t20-atx-power-supply-adapter/

DVP9W Nvidia  GTX 1050 Ti, PCIe, 4GB, DVI-D/DP 1.4/HDMI 75w
36V90 Nvidia  GTX 1060, PCIe, 3GB, DVI-D/3DP/HDMI, 120w
24K8H Nvidia  GTX 1050, PCIe, 2GB, DVI-D/HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3

1MPR3 AMD R9-360 (2GB, DP/HDMI/DVI-D)
24K8H Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB, DP 1.3/HDMI 2.0/DVI-D)
8CCF1 Nvidia GTX 1030 (2GB, HDMI/DVI-D)
8MXMJ Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (2GB, mHDMI/DVI-D/DVI-I)
J27RG Nvidia GT 730 (2GB, HDMI/DVI-D/VGA)

OPTIPLEX 7VK45 T1M43 365WOPTIPLEX 7VK45 T1M43 365W

No Events found!