Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2019 10:00

9020, problem, CPU or Motherboard?

Hi, just curious if you know if the Dell OptiPlex requires a bios update to run 4790k or the 4590s?  Based on the asset tag, the used one I bought had a 4570 installed previously.  I notice that the PC will not power on.  I see the amber flashing power button.  I believe it is 2,3 which says motherboard / ram / cpu issue.   The fans of the CPU and the rear do come on.  But can't actually turn the PC on.

The 4790k I tried with first.  The 4790k I'm not sure if CPU is damaged or not, but at least I'm sure I fried that board it was previously on,  I just thought I'd be able to use this CPU in the Dell OptiPlex, which I got it for cheap with no ram or cpu installed.  I want to say the power did come on but there was no display, but I was only able to do this a couple of times then it went to the blinking.   

When that didn't work, I tried the 4590S - same thing.  The Dell OptiPlex won't turn on.   Just the flashing orange light.  I did look and there seem to be a couple of bent CPU pins.  I tried to straighten them, but didn't work either.  I have ordered a new motherboard from ebay.  

I have already installed a new battery.  The whole system is very clean with no noticeable damage other than the pins I mentioned.  There is no smells or anything. 

Just curious if you know whether the 4590S requires a bios update.  If the 4790k is damaged, can it hurt the motherboard (new one)?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 5th, 2019 20:00

Yes, the 4770k will work.  I've seen those forums too where people have used the 4790k.  It's unsupported by Dell, but that doesn't always mean it won't work.

Yes, if CPU pins are bent on an MB it will cause problems.

I don't know what the "service" connection is for.

The other CPU's you mentioned will work.  It's up to you to decide which one you want to use.  Exception being if you think a CPU is damaged, I wouldn't want to chance it again.

I see a few more posts have popped in while I was typing this one.

8 Posts

May 5th, 2019 10:00

Sorry if this posts twice!  I purchased a used OptiPlex 9020 MT.  I wanted to use some old components to use this at the office.  

I have a 4790k and 16GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Ram that I was going to install.  I'm not sure, but I may have previously damaged the 4790k.  At least, I think I damaged the motherboard it was in by plugging in a fan on the mother board header while the PC was on and in Bios - yes dumb I know.  The system shut itself off and never came back.  

Anyway, I tried the 4790k in the OptiPlex and I think it did power on once or twice, but now I only get the flashing light on the front - I believe it is in the 2,3 pattern.  According to the manual this means cpu / memory / motherboard are having issues.  I checked all the ram sticks and they are all working.  The power supply is not the issue, I have tried with another one and same lights flashing pattern.  I also replaced the cmos battery.  

After this, I tried with a 4590S.  Still just the orange flashing lights.  The CPU fan and rear fan do come on when the power is plugged in (regardless of CPU).  

I checked the asset tag an this system was built with a 4570 CPU.  I also see that a couple of the pins on the motherboard are bent.  I did try and get them into position, but same results.  

So I have a couple of questions:

1.  Does this system require a bios update before a 4590s or 4790k can be used?

2.  If the 4790k is damaged, could it have damaged the board here?

3.  I have ordered a new compatible board from ebay.  Should I use any of these two processors in it?

4.  Should I just get a 4570 CPU first and update bios or is there another maybe cheaper CPU I could try first?

5.  is there any other way to test this board?  I see a 2 pin connector on the board, I believe it says "service"

Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 5th, 2019 18:00

Yes, a damaged CPU can damage an MB and vice-versa.

Indeed, update BIOS to the latest version available for your PC.  That also makes it more secure.  Remember you might not be able to jump to the latest version from the version you have.  For example, from Dell Support Assist, I had to download something like A11 & A14 before going to A22 from A09.

Remember to unplug before working on anything on your MB.  Let the l.e.d. light drain the capacitors and go out first.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 5th, 2019 19:00

The I7-4790K is 88w and the MB limit is 84w.

Optiplex 9020 Spec Sheet.pdf

8 Posts

Thank you for your comments.  Are you saying that I should go ahead and get a 4570 since that was the original equipment for this system?  I purchased it with no memory or ram installed.  Or is it possible the 4590S will work?  

Also, I have seen posts here on the forums where people have used 4790k in the 9020.  I'll find the link and post it.  I'm not sure how they were able to do this.  

Does anyone know what the "service" two prong plug on the 9020 motherboard is for?  

Either way, I'll have a new motherboard soon.  I'm just worried about messing this one up too.  

I'm not sure if the motherboard I have isn't working due to the bent pins or if the 4790k is indeed damaged.  

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community  @ez101 

The i7-4790K is not compatible with the i5-4570

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7/i7-4790K.html

The i7-4770K has the same "Stepping" and "TDP" with 100% success rate.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-4570.html

You can then install Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Always make sure to update your BIOS before upgrading "Memory or CPU"

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-9020-desktop/drivers

Best regards,

U2

8 Posts

Based on the link you shared, I think it means that the 4770k will work, but not the 4790k?  Looking at the power rating I think the 4790 would also work.  

I believe there are posts here where people did use the 4790k.  Here is a link. https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Optiplex-9020-MT-i7-4790k-Upgrade/td-p/4703959

Anyway, is there a way for me to verify that the 4790k is damaged, other than putting it into a board to see if it kills the board?  Maybe it's just a complete waste of time for me to even think about it.  The only reason I haven't trashed it is because of the bent pins in the dell motherboard I have - is giving me some hope.  

Thanks!

8 Posts

Brad, sadly, I just happened to have it left over after I killed the 4790k motherboard and possibly that CPU.  

Since the 4590S never powered on, I'm hoping I didn't hurt it.  I know it was working before.  I bought it from a friend and don't have another motherboard to test it out.  

The new motherboard will be here in a few days.  I just don't know if it will work even with the 4590S without a bios update.  

Are you aware of a listing of the supported CPU's based on bios version?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

Thanks for accepting my post as a solution.  I wanted to point out you're right on with using Crucial RAM, as it's guaranteed to work in Dell's.  May be you noticed in another thread(s).

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

No, I haven't heard of a CPU list based on BIOS.  It's always based on the model and MB it has.  I say it that way because Optiplex models (not the only ones that vary in size per model #) come in 3-4 sizes per model # and the MB is unique to the size.

I'm sure you know not to retry the 4790K.  If you're MB was already dead, the 4590S shouldn't be affected, but I wouldn't try it if any pins are bent.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@ez101 

The i7-4790K will not work!!!

The Intel Core i7-4790K is a Socket 1150 CPU, based on **bleep**'s Canyon core

The i7-4770K will work!!!

The original Intel i5-4570 is based on Haswell core, and it uses Socket 1150. 

The Intel i7-4770K is based on Haswell core, and it uses Socket 1150. 

Look at the "Links" and the charts for compatible CPU's!!!

Regards,

U2

8 Posts

Is there any place I can find list of supported CPU's based on bios version?  For example, if I assume that this has the earliest bios, perhaps I can find a cheap Celeron or something that will boot so I can update to the latest bios.  I'm not sure if this 4590S will work or not, but I'd rather not spend $60 on the 4570.  Thanks

No Events found!