Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2019 09:00

Blue screen after installing SupportAssist

After working in my new IT department for the last six months, I've been encouraging the install of Dell SupportAssist on our Windows 10 machines, to ensure that the drivers are regularly updated and the systems monitored.

However, over the summer, we had a user who was getting very frequent blue screening.  Dell provided warranty support and replaced the logic board.  But the system continued to blue screen.  After wiping the system repeatedly, we finally started making the connection to the blue screen and Dell Support Assist.

The issue is now 100% repeatable.  When the system is running Windows 10 1803 or older, Dell Support Assist runs normally, no blue screening.  When the system is upgraded to Windows 10 1809 or 1903, the blue screening occurs within minutes of boot and the machine is virtually unusable, except for a few minutes at a time.  

However, this only occurs on certain models of Dells.  We have probably 50 computers with Dell Support Assist installed, fully updated to Windows 10 1903 and we've seen this same behavior on about four of them.  One is an XPS, another is an Optiplex 7040, and the rest I can't recall off the top of my head.  We simply uninstall Dell Support Assist and blue screening stops and computer operates normally.

I explained all of this to Dell and they wanted to replace the logic board again.  They really need to focus on their application instead of throwing parts at a computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 8th, 2020 06:00

@mrgintautas @donm4599x we have found the issue to be caused by an incompatibility with the Intel RST driver. Our recommendation to resolve this issue is to run Support Assist on the system to ensure that the system finds the latest drivers and installs them.

Once done - uninstall Support Assist from the system.

Manually update the latest iRST driver on the system - more info on how to do this can be found here under "Resolution Steps"

If that fails to resolve the issue it is recommended to manually install the iRST driver instead.

Unzip the latest iRST driver for your notebook. Navigate to Windows 10 device manager and locate the Storage Controller. Select the controller that has Intel in it's name. Right click "Update Driver", select driver manually from the drive and navigate to the folder where you extracted the iRST driver too. Choose the Windows 10 folder and select Ok. Once it installs, reboot the system. 

Now install Support Assist and then system should no longer bluescreen.

That article I also provided a link to also explains how to resolve the bluescreen issues when updating to 1909 and 1903. 

Alan

9.4K Posts

August 27th, 2019 11:00

Hello atoss!
In case you have a question about your Dell system or need technical assistance, may I have the Service Tag or Express Service Code or order number, please? I’ll validate your system warranty and get back to you with the available options.

How to find the Service Tag: https://dell.to/2HsL2PN

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 28th, 2019 12:00

Have you read this recent post by Dell about a BSOD from SupportAssist in Win 10?

478 Posts

August 28th, 2019 18:00

@RoHe

I installed SA on my computer. It didn't seem to be of much help (maybe because mine is an older machine long out of warranty). Since it was so worthless, I uninstalled it right before windows updated to 1903 version. I guess I did the right thing without even knowing it

December 4th, 2019 21:00

That post says nothing except that a list of approved devices is under study. 

SupportAssist should be thrown out of the window. It’s still safer to download drivers one by one and keep checking regularly.

1 Message

December 26th, 2019 23:00

After some months, the problem is still the same even on 1909. 

On an XPS I had the problem, seems it was an intel optane driver and not the support assist for this one. 

But on Latitude 5490, I have lot of bluescreens with support assist installed. Uninstalled it on all computers which had the issue and its working like a charm. 

No problems on optiplex 3060 (Win 10 1909), no problem on my Latitude e7470 (win 10 1909).

1 Message

January 1st, 2020 14:00

Same problem on my Latitude 7300 with 1909 installed. Uninstalling SupportAssist worked. Would love to see it fixed.

478 Posts

January 1st, 2020 15:00

What about that other dell program, command something or other? Isn't it similar for downloading drivers etc.?

January 6th, 2020 07:00

Hey Guys, 

I keep getting BAD_POOL_CALLER issue after installing SupportAssit tool.

My laptop is Latitude 7400, Windows 1909. 

It's already in the tested laptop list:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-november-2019-update-and-previous-versions-of-windows-10?lang=en#One

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/Update-SA-1903-BSOD-BAD-POOL-CALLER/td-p/7318103

Any update on the issue? It's really strange that such a issue is not solved for 6 months. 

Best Regards, 

Gintautas

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

January 9th, 2020 14:00

Hi @donm4599x,

To answer your question above, Dell Command Update is older than Dell Support Assist.  Drivers can be downloaded from both, but Support Assist is more comprehensive and does well with scanning a PC.

Not sure if you saw in my answers to others - I've used Support Assist with success on both my 755 and 790.  And nothing complicated about it.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

January 9th, 2020 15:00

Huh, sorry to hear that.  My machines are out of warranty too with the 755 being 12 yrs. old.  It's an oldie, but a goodie. 

478 Posts

January 9th, 2020 15:00

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 10th, 2020 02:00

@donm4599x there does come a point where we do stop providing updates for older systems unless it pertains to a security vulnerability.

The solution that I have suggested in my last post has shown to resolve the issue of bluescreens due to the outdated iRST driver. As I understand it you have completely uninstalled SupportAssist. Do you still require assistance or has uninstalling SupportAssist completely resolved your issue?

Alan

272 Posts

January 10th, 2020 02:00

Even I had the same issue. I updated my system to Windows 10 build 1903. The problem is with the Windows update, not with the PCs.

I'd rather raise a support ticket with Microsoft and get the issue resolved.

478 Posts

January 10th, 2020 14:00

@Dell-Alan D 

Alan, I need to clarify. The support assist program did not crash or destroy my computer. But it offered nothing for this older machine. I understand that.

Since it was of zero use, I simply uninstalled it,  just before these horror stories started surfacing.  I may have been lucky that my old machine WAS completely unsupported ... the "assistance"  never attempted anything, so it was a benign (albeit worthless) program for my old orphaned Dell.

I don't expect dell to support anything they sold a few years ago, no more than I would expect ford motor company to do warranty work on an old model T,  sold 100 years ago 

I realize that Dell considers these to be museum pieces after a few years.

But, so far, it still works; My needs are simpler than many people.

Thanks for your concerns, and best wishes Alan!

No Events found!