Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2021 01:00

Brand new Optiplex 7080 issues

My story is long and painful. I'm looking here for answers as Dell support really doesn't exist any more. Trying to deal with them is truly unbelievable.

One month and one day ago I purchased an Optiplex 7080 (core i9-10900). I do not game nor do I overclock. Within 5 days I had 2 intermittent shutdowns so I started to monitoring the temps. Sure enough they were way too high so I began my FIRST journey with Dell support. I thought since it had a 3 year warranty I could get it resolved.  Wrong!

After hours of chats and phone calls where I was passed from one to another person who gave me song and dance I couldn't understand(with a lot of waiting in between) I was promised a return call the next day which never came. While I waited I searched the net. There's not very many Optiplex 7080s out there but I found on this forum all the people that had the G9 and XPS PCs built like mine who had the same overheating problems. It has been a known issue since early 2020. It was because of the small pancake cpu cooler, small exhaust fan and low 240w power supply. Like me, none of those people had gotten anywhere with Dell either and believe me, there are a lot of them. I then started the process all over again and finally got a rep. whose advise was to turn off hyperthreading to fix the problem.

What? That's no solution. Yes, with hyperthreading disabled, the pc did not overheat, but I didn't buy a powerful computer to run at 2.8 gz. I bought it to use Photoshop which I hadn't yet installed because I knew the pc couldn't run it in it's original configuration. I could have bought a lesser system for a lot less money. I asked if Dell would send me one of the premium coolers to fix my problem. He said I should have purchased a premium cooler when I bought the pc.  I argued that the consumer doesn't know what kind of cooler comes with a system. We expect the manufacturer to provide a product that will work. He finally said that I would get another cooler but he couldn't order it and some else would be calling me. Days later, they finally called but I was told I would be getting a cooler like the pancake one I have. I told them to shove it where the sun...well you get the idea  of what I said.

Long story short, I broke down and ordered Noctua case fan and cooler like all the other folks on this forum did and it fixed the overheating. I also bought a USED 500w power supply.

My story doesn't end there. I had been using my old mouse and keyboard, but today I decided to try the Dell wireless keyboard/mouse combo that came with the pc. When I opened it, there was no wireless receiver inside. The person in Africa I chatted with gave me a number to call but I couldn't reach anyone.

So now I have a mouse/keyboard that's a brick and a brand new top of the line system I've had to re-vamp by spending $300 more dollars on.

Can someone here tell me who I can contact with Dell. Surely upper management doesn't know such poor support is going on. They are still selling the same exact systems with the same insufficient components to the unsuspecting public and they've known about the problem a year and a half. It's well documented.

Am I mad? You have no idea.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 29th, 2021 15:00

@glasskuter1 

Business Address

C/O DELL INC.

ONE DELL WAY

ROUND ROCK TX 78682-2244

Post Private message to @DELL-Cares 

Customer feedback is a valuable tool used in evaluating products and services.Please be advised you have posted your technical issue on a non-technical forum board. If you are unable to receive assistance past your warranty expiration date, our community members are extremely knowledgeable and may be able to provide a solution to your concerns. Once you have posted on the forum, you may Private Message the Forum Liaison, @DELL-Cares  by clicking on his name in blue and providing the following information.

Name:
Email Address:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Order Number:
Service Tag #:
Country of purchase:
Current country location:
Reason:

Some wireless keyboard combinations have the reciever inside the mouse battery compartment. I recommend one with the unifying receiver so that if you lose the dongle it can be replaced and re synced.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/combos/mk520-wireless-keyboard-mouse.920-002553.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZWL9G4/

RECIEVER.JPG

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

August 29th, 2021 05:00

Try the information in this forum post.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 29th, 2021 06:00

That does sound like a disappointing experience considering how good 7080 spec sounds on paper.  It seems the accessory support (cooler and usb receiver) is shoddy.  
In the past Dell has been using all aluminum generic OEM heatsink across most XPS 8### models (8300-8900),  I wonder why not many users had complained.  I think it may be because in the past Intel CPUs for LGA115# socket are mostly 4 core.  Therefore the load cpu power consumption does not greatly exceed idle, thus peak cpu temp does not quite reach throttle, and the cheap aluminum heatsink part gets by.  In a company that mass produces consumer electronics, this is a big saving.

perhaps this past business success or technical get-by experience has blinded Dell engineers from realizing the newer Intel cpu is a different game. Starting from coffee lake 6 core to the 8-10 core comet lake/ rocket lake 10/11th gen cpu, load power consumption now greatly exceeds idle.  The more core you have in cpu, the more power it can consume at peak, even though at idle TDP is only 65w.  Now it is easy to overheat and throttle the cpu.  Dell should not go cheap on cooler with the new 8/10 core cpu.

Re: He said I should have purchased a premium cooler when I bought the pc.  What is the DP/N for the “premium cooler”?  Is this premium cooler configuration hidden unless one chooses the -k cpu?

Re: 500w psu.  How much would the total price be if user chose to buy it at first place?  Base price gets 260w psu. It is possible that Dell sales configuration hides the 500w psu option on paper for non -k cpu. 

August 29th, 2021 15:00

Yes. With the  i9-10900 nowhere in the ordering process was I given an option to upgrade the cooler and neither is the kind of cooler mentioned that I would be getting (or if it was, it was buried so deep I couldn't see it). As for the amount of heat generated, under load with no overclocking I would think the 10900 and 10900k would generate similar amounts of heat, thereby both needing premium cooling.

As far as the PSU, when I saw the results HWMonitor and Aida64 were giving, I realized the new GPU I bought for Photoshop could suffer depending on the demands of the system.That's why I upgraded the PSU when I saw how much power each core was using. In this day and time 260w should be on only low-end systems that cater to little old ladies who want to use Facebook. I really should have thought about Dell's propietary PSUs before I bought. That's on me. With older Optiplexes I was able to install ATX PSUs using adapter cables. Not anymore unless I wanted to leave it outside the case.

I wonder why not many users had complained.  They have. All over the net and right here on this forum.There are too many links to list but a search tells it all. If you read them all (like I did over hours and hours) so many buyers got the same runaround as I did. The sheer number of people who have watched the youtube videos on how to fix it is unbelievable.

When the Dell rep immediately said to turn off hyperthreading to prevent  throttling and/or lockdown, I asked him explicitly, "If a computer with an i9 (or an i7 ) overheats why do you keep selling them without including whatever it takes to make them work?" Very diplomatically he gave a non answer. I also asked him explicitly, "I have a 3 year warranty. If I use third party parts to fix this, will my warranty remain intact." Again a non answer of here's the webpage for the warranty. Have you ever tried to read one of those things? I would need a law degree to understand it all. I wanted a yes or no answer but I didn't get it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 29th, 2021 19:00

@glasskuter1 

@DELL-Cares 

KM636 comes in 2 versions.

km636-how-to-differentiate-between-logitech-s-unifying-and-dell-s-universal-pairing

Did you open the mouse battery compartment and look off to the side? The logo on the dongle is not visible when its tucked into the mouse.

You have other issues then.

This may or may not work for you.

You only need 1  Orange receiver but its nice to have a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-USB-Unifying-Receiver-Pack/dp/B07MVP819S/

The unifying software must be installed to Pair the Orange logo devices if you have that model. So you need a wired keyboard and mouse to install it if it has the orange logo.  No idea what you do for the BLUE DELL device.  I believe its paired at the factory and cannot be fixed.

• Software Version: 2.50.25
  • Last Update: 2010-03-30
  • OS: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (or older), Windows 10
  • File Size: 4 MB

https://download01.logi.com/web/ftp/pub/controldevices/unifying/unifying250.exe

Symptoms

The Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (model number KM636) has two versions. Both are the same in appearance with the one exception being the pairing feature whcih will be either Logitech Unifying or Dell Universal. 

This product was initially launched with the Logitech Unifying feature, however, this has now been replaced with the Dell Universal feature instead.

How to Verify Logitech Unifying v Dell Universal feature

The easiest way to check the version and subsequent compatibility is to look at the logo on the USB receiver and compare that to the logo on the bottom of the keyboard and/or mouse.  The Dell Universal logo comes with ‘’BLUE RING’’ whereas the Logitech Unifying logo is an ‘’ORANGE STAR’’. 

Dell Universal devices (Keyboard, Mouse and Dongle) are NOT compatible with any of Logitech Unifying devices (Keyboard, Mouse and Dongle).

UNIFY DONGLE.JPG

KM636.png

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

I could be wrong. According to 7080 tech sheet,

10th Generation Intel® CoreTM i9-10900, 20 MB Cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 2.8 GHz to 5.2 GHz, 65 W

10th Generation Intel® CoreTM i9-10900K, 20 MB Cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.7 GHz to 5.3 GHz, 125 W

it seems the -k cpu is a premium enthusiast class chip starting at higher base frequency and likely costs more.  I heard of XPS 8930 configuration offers “premium” copper cooler for 8700k whereas 8700 gets regular aluminum cooler.  
Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz vs Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz

I would guess unless buyer picks the premium -k cpu, the so called premium cooler option is automatically taken off list.  Dell sales prefers to keep the option unmentioned to average consumer so that the price tag is more appealing to mainstream buyer.  On the other hand if buyer picks the -k cpu, the premium price tag would implicitly include the better cooler.

It is short sighted because after sale support would not be able to solve the prevalent issue of poor cooling.  Perhaps the sales and support department are completely separate in Dell like left hand does not talk to right hand.  Sales has only one goal: sell more units at whatever cost of consumer happiness.  Support can do nothing to salvage the damage except for diplomatically putting on a poker face.  When you complain to support, they know you are right but they have no say on the marketing sales tactics.  If support has any influence on sales, they should tell sales to stop hiding the inconvenient facts.

Thank you speedstep. Yes, the instructions that came with the kb/mouse combo said the receiver was in the mouse but it wasn't. I searched the web for a receiver but found none for this particular set which I take to mean they are /were keyed to each other and that receivers are not interchangable. Something interesting I noticed is the box they came in is marked KM636, but on both mouse/kb its stamped KM632. This leads me to believe they was used before I got it. Doesn't surprise me at this point.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 29th, 2021 20:00

To demonstrate configuration and price difference I just went to optiplex 7090 build your own.  (7080 no longer available from Dell)

i9-10900k option raises price by $100 over i9-10900,  presumably this $100 difference includes both better cpu and better cooler, but it is not explicitly noted.

retail i9-10900 $439, 10900-k $488.  only $50 difference. so you pay additional $50 to Dell for the better cooler when you choose -k.

when I choose -k, psu automatically narrows down to 500w only.

when I choose non-k, psu options: 260, 300, 360, 500w.  500w psu is $55 above 260w.

Future 7090 buyer beware.  https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-7090-tower-build-your-own/spd/...

August 30th, 2021 11:00

Despite my own issues, the point of my post was that Dell is knowingly selling high end systems without proper cooling and then giving the customer the runaround when they encounter problems. It's been a few years since I've had to deal with them(back when service was excellent, Optiplexes were Cadillacs and support was knowledgeable, UNDERSTANDABLE, and easy to get to) and I never would have guessed service after the sale would come to what it is.

So what if the K chip includes premium cooling. It's been shown that the non-K chips in the i7 and i9 (and some i5)need it as well. If I buy something, right out of the box I expect it to do what it is advertised to do. I should not be expected to turn hyperthreading off and then say "Thank you so much Mr. Dell Man. You solved my problem." And I certainly shouldn't have to spend money that wasn't in my budget to fix it. Keep in mind that Dell sells most of their systems to Joe Blow on the street who doesn't even know what hyperthreading is. To him, it's a solution so he goes on his merry way, unknowingly never running over 2.8 gz. and never getting what he paid for.  I probably wouldn't have questioned it either until I tried to run Photoshop. But I encountered the lock down first. From there, I did my due diligence, learned about temps, hyperthreading, and power and how they work together and more importantly, how to monitor them. Joe Blow won't do this because he's fat and happy running with hyperthreading turned off. Sorry, but I'm not. If I pay premium money, I expect a premium product. Simple as that. I don't care how you slice it, it's poor business practice, because Dell KNOWS it's been a problem since 2020 and keeps selling them to unsuspecting customers anyway. That's my biggest contention.

Through this forum someone contacted me about the KB/mouse issue. I can't wait to see how that goes.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 30th, 2021 13:00

Concur completely.  They should have issued a recall and sent out copper heatsink to all users who bought i5/7/9 cpu.  maybe only the bottom entry level i3 10th gen cpu (4 core) can do with the low end aluminum cooler.  In other words make the copper heatsink a mainstream feature rather than luxury for -k cpu only.  

It looks like an engineering flaw to use low end hestsink for mainstream i5/7/9 cpu as well as disingenuous marketing strategy.  The product was pushed out too quickly without thorough testing in lab.  Dell may be in a rush to capitalize on the newest 10/11th gen cpu as soon as Intel releases them.  Will Dell listen to all these complaints?

On the side note, curious which model of optiplex was considered Cadillac?  I had dealt with the BTX series 3 optiplex mostly (745/755/760) and found them as sturdy as tanks.  That was when it used pentium and core 2 duo cpu.  Some of the old pentium cpu were hot chips generating a lot of heat requiring copper heatsink.   Not much experience with series 4 except for optiplex 780, zero hands on experience with the more recent series 5 and now 6 (7080-7090).

August 31st, 2021 15:00

GRRR.

Folks, here's a prime example of @DellCares and how clueless these people are. After several back and forth through this very forum's messages where I furnished PO number, the exact issue with the missing part for the mouse/kb here's the response I got back this morning.

"As per discussion over the chat , we understood that you need to upgrade USB port on your system. I request you to contact customer care team: Customer Care (Consumer)
800-624-9897.To help you purchase the required Part(s) I will arrange a callback from our Out of Plan team. They will call you at a convenient time between 10 AM to 7 PM CST M-F. The phone number we have to call you is [xxxxxxxxx]. We will also raise a callback from concern team as well."

upgrade the usb-WHATT??? to help you purchase the required part-WHATT??? No way in will I ever purchase anything from Dell again. I called the number and got the old song and dance again. Then I was referred to another person, then another. I finally ended up with technical support who said I was out of 30 day window for a replacement. (Yeah, but I wasn't when I first began the process) One positive thing, I could mostly understand her. She said it would require higher approval. I said fine, but I wasn't leaving the line until she got it. She finally assured me I would get a new mouse and keyboard but that I would have to return the old one. I said that's fine so long as Dell included a prepaid return shipping label  because I wasn't paying it. She said she wasn't sure about that.

So two more hours of my time for such a simple issue. I spent ten times that with the overheating issue. So sad to see what Dell has become. I'm done. Lesson learned...the hard way. I pity the next .

Thanks to all of you here who have let me vent.

No Events found!