Optiplex Desktops

2 Bronze

Can't install Windows 2016 LTSB on Optiplex 7090

Hello,

I need to install the Windows 10 LTSB 2016 (or Enterprise, or IOT). It fails to boot on the first reboot, from the freshly created partition. It seems to find the partition, but then it only shows Dell logo with rotating dots animation indefinitely. 

Some related settings and failed attempts:

- doesnt work on both M2 and SATA media 

- same disk plugged into an HP desktop PC starts as it should (tries to continue setting up windows)

- installing Windows 10 Pro setup on same SATA disk starts as it should (tries to continue setting up windows)

- tried all "bootrec" commands: no difference.

- updated BIOS to 1.2.1(the most recent) - no difference

- BIOS boot option seems to be completely broken. elements are added, removed or changing positions without my consent. The 1st option is Windows boot manager. Tried setting up the option by hand, but that does not change much... Once, after I randomly added to list combination of recovery boot and EFI windows boot, I was able to see the repair screen (probably booted to repair partition) and subsequently, after selecting startup repair and restart it booted! But then I decided to cleanup the messed up settings in BIOS and NEVER was able to see it booting again... 

- System came with RAID mode for SATA, but it doesn't see drives for installing in this mode. I set it to AHCI.

- tried to install Win10 Pro and then (from it) to launch setup.exe to upgrade to LTSB -> again fails on reboot...

Please help. Any hints/ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Igor.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze

I managed to boot with a SATA disk from another PC (with LTSB). It was running fine till I rebooted - it stuck again.

I enabled bootlogging, but all is looking fine except this line

"BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED dxgkrnl.sys".

The last line in the log log is "BOOTLOG_LOADED UsbHub3.sys"... Not sure if that may ring a bell for someone, but if the log says truth, USB Hub was loaded, something happened after it. But what?... 

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Reply (1)
2 Bronze

I managed to boot with a SATA disk from another PC (with LTSB). It was running fine till I rebooted - it stuck again.

I enabled bootlogging, but all is looking fine except this line

"BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED dxgkrnl.sys".

The last line in the log log is "BOOTLOG_LOADED UsbHub3.sys"... Not sure if that may ring a bell for someone, but if the log says truth, USB Hub was loaded, something happened after it. But what?... 

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions