Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2020 18:00

Computer does not recognize disk

Optiplex 755, windows 7

Computer does not recognize any disk.

Device Mgr says it is functioning

I uninstalled and reinstalled a newly downloaded driver.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the IDE/ATAPI controllers, as suggested by a MS article.

It shows up in bios and boot sequence.

I thought the DVD-ROM was defective so installed an identical one, TS-H353.

It doesn't work either.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 17:00

@dorothyroeder, you didn't say anything that was "pirated."  You indicated early on that you're a novice and it doesn't look like some things were kept simple enough and/or it was forgotten that you're a novice.  So if by chance you still read this, there you go.

2.5K Posts

January 17th, 2020 05:00

does DISK MEAN DVD?

if yes post a photo of top side of all DVD disks,  millions exist some work some do not and other 1/2 the time is scratched or burned wrong,(burning a DVD-r)

you have windows 7 now, but will not boot, HDD bad? or RTC coin cell dead, sure will be this old., with new coin cell battery , you can then get to BIOS , turn off PXE boot, and boot to USB (not a DVD is too slow and problematic for most folks) and then fix the HDD.(if not bad)

run eSPA yet, if there.?  power on hit F12 see diagnostics, 755 is old not sure it is there, me.

HDD = hard disks drive, SSD means solidstate drive no motors.

2.5K Posts

January 17th, 2020 06:00

you mean DVD,  say DVD disk for that, and HDD for HDD , or SSD for SSD.

ok

no Lunux told, no disk label no lunux URL link you your Linux page sources no photos of your disk.

and windows will not run a Linux, disk. (the Linux disk must be booted to install it)

all answer here, are very hard, do 1 fact, you not showing what is IN YOUR hand, no photos posted. of your

media or what is inside the PC.

and the HDD or SSD bought new does NO COME with windows on it. (ok they came erased of all things)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 17th, 2020 07:00

Drives made after 2011 and larger than 120 gigs are ADVANCED FORMAT.

This means it requires Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver to install.

H79NK

Sata operation must be set to AHCI

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER00679472M/26/DRVR_SATA_Intel_A01_H79NK_f6flpy-x64-setup_ZPE.exe

You have to run the exe or rename to .zip and extract the driver so that you can save to the root of a usb flash drive for install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/952951/error-a-required-cd-dvd-device-driver-is-missing-when-you-start-window

A required CD/DVD driver device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

You cannot point to the exe file you must extract the files.

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/error-installing-windows-7-on-advanced-format-disk-drives-218571en/

January 17th, 2020 20:00

a bit flummoxed by all the answers. novice here.

The dvd-rom drive is the only problem.

using windows 7 presently.

the computer will read windows installation disks, any version, but it would not read a linux boot/installation disk. won’t read ms program installers.

same thing with the new drive and the old.

5.6K Posts

January 18th, 2020 07:00

The fact that you can read a Windows 7 or Windows 10 DVD means that the PC and the DVD-ROM drive is working.

I am not sure what you mean by read "ms program installers".  Which software programs DVDs are these?

If you are trying to boot from a Linux installation DVD, someone who gave it to you probably did not burn it right.

January 18th, 2020 09:00

I can use music disks and Windows installation disks. Not recognized are MS Office installation, and the Linux installation. Both of these will be recognized by an older Optiplex and will run just fine. Just not on this computer.

5.6K Posts

January 18th, 2020 11:00

Are the ones that can be read CDs and the ones that cannot be read DVDs?

January 18th, 2020 12:00

The MS Office 2007 one says DVD on it don’t know about the other.

The linux disk is labeled DVD also.

Since I have finally to replace windows 7 I am trying Linux, if I can load it.

5.6K Posts

January 18th, 2020 13:00

Check to see if the PC is new enough to be able to boot from USB. 

Then on another PC create the bootable USB. 

By the way, Microsoft is still letting people upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.

2.5K Posts

January 18th, 2020 14:00

Im stuffing disks in to my PC and they  don't work

I don't' know why,  well nether can we, we cant see your actions, and some are wrong.

and cant see your disks , no we cant and can be formatted vast ways and done wrong vast ways. sure can.

we cant see your DISK labels (optical disks) no we can not.

see all these disk, ? formats?

they are real,  Ignore the BD first media, there, blueRay DISK. BD.

see those, you PC may allow some of those but not all.

This is why smart techs never use DVD, due to not supported types,

they use USB>.sticks. we boot those. only now. I think your PC supports USB fully.

BRD.JPG

2.5K Posts

January 18th, 2020 14:00

Photos are worth 1000 words, but on any  DVD,  the label there , we cant see it can we, nor be wise. can we.

no MS install disk media told (photos 10x better),  WE need to see the label of the disk or answers will be 99% wrong,l (try to understand 100 install disk 99 are wrong for this PC,so I CAN  NOT GUESS)

same with OFFICE photo posted or you disk, DVD< office.

same with linux no photo of your disk. (or sell selling it URL= their web site selling it. not told)

windows 7 32bit Is my guess you are running now, does it have all 350+ update (hard hard job that)

the Linux DVD is formatted only for booting ONLY, OK>? YOUR LINUX maker explains that,  on there web site.

Boot the DVD< (safe boot must be disabled in BIOS via F2) if present there.(seems not there)

the Office disk , you put into the tray and then click on the DVD in EXPLORER.

here is mine now 2007 Office DVD. (known good and working DVD, not badly burned DVD-r)_

see this , click setup.exe  and that is the installer.

2007.JPG

I am running it on w10-64bit no problem for 5 long years.

you asked  3 or more questions, but this is my weak attempt to answer in the BLIND>.

NO PHOTOS BY YOU, not once. of DISKS

5.6K Posts

January 18th, 2020 16:00

I do not believe that it is as dramatic as that Windows 7 is infected.  I have Windows 7 and it is certainly not infected.

It appears that the PC will boot a Windows 7 DVD but will not boot a Linux DVD so that Linux can be installed.

This leads me back to my original belief that the Linux DVD was not burned correctly and is therefore not bootable.

January 18th, 2020 17:00

What about the MS Office 207 that is not recognized either. works fine on 

As I said, the Linux disk does work on my really old Optiplex, GX620. That is why I thought about switching the dvd drives. 

The Linux disk also installed on an old HP which happens to have the same model of dvd drive as the Optiplex that is not working

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 18th, 2020 18:00

Hi @dorothyroeder,

So Linux and MS Office 2007 work on the GX620, but not the 755.

Is the optical drive in your 755 only a CD-ROM or burner (CD+-RW), or is it a DVD-ROM or burner?

I would still go with @nyc10036's suggestion with making a bootable flash drive with Linux.  I think there was an oops - link given is for Windows.

No Events found!