Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

September 24th, 2019 18:00

Convert from RAID Bios Setting to AHCI Bios setting without breaking windows 10

Actually a Dell Precision T1650 Desktop, but closest match I could find.

======================================

Start with an apology, as I don't know where else to post this, or find previous solution.

Reference old posting here, that was closest to my problem, but did not provide a solution:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/383343-switch-from-raid-to-non-raid?page=1  

I just picked up a Dell Precision T1650, Windows 10 Pro, Single Hard Drive machine off eBay.

I want to add a 2nd drive for the user data, but system won't recognize it, (Shows up in Bios, but not in Disk Manager).  (Also shows up in Intel Rapid Storage Technology setup)

Turns out the OS was installed with the BIOS set to RAID.  However, RAID was never set up on this Drive.  When I go into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology setup, it shows both old and new drives, and shows both as Non-RAID Disk.  There is no Raid Volume to delete or reset to non-raid.

However, if I switch the bios to AHCI or ATA the system won't boot.  I tried using my Acronis backup image, to restore after changing the bios from RAID to AHCI, but the OS still failed at bootup.

Can anyone point me to the solution for changing the bios from RAID to AHCI?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 17th, 2022 06:00

I was not fast enough to edit my previous post Here below is the complete one I wanted to post.

@JOcean, thank you a lot for your links to effective solutions! The one from SuperUser still works.

Just to mention that I used to apply the following and simpler solution in the past but for changing from Legacy (PATA) compatibility mode to AHCI mode. It should work for any change between RAID, AHCI and PATA/IDE Compatibility modes provided the value data are set correctly in the registry.

Solution for Windows 7: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-from-raid-to-ahci/4c94f678-6bd1-48a6-b871-8872c841023a

Based on the Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

With the following registry keys to be changed for Windows 10:
 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci (instead of msahci that does not exist anymore in Windows 10)

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 17th, 2022 06:00

@JOceanthank you a lot for your links to operational solution ! The one from SuperUser still works!

2 Posts

June 27th, 2022 23:00

Dear Peter,

if changing the values of these registers won't break the windows?

Highly appreciated your support.

Regards,

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 2nd, 2023 05:00

Hello Pharonic,

Sorry I just saw your post today, almost one year later. Just in case you are still looking for an answer, this answer is the following: changing these registry values to some not matching your hardware and/or BIOS/UEFI specifications WILL BREAK Windows at least temporarily.

Windows won't boot till you fix the issue. But such a wrong registry edit won't damage or corrupt any system file or data. It will just prevent Windows to boot because the system won't be able to find a drive to load the OS from..

Have a look at those brief Microsoft articles to understand how the ControlSet registry keys are related to system drivers, hard drive in particular:

Hope it still helps!

No Events found!