Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

10 Posts

April 9th, 2023 10:00

Dell Optiplex 7020 Power supply upgrade

Hello!

I know there are similar threads to this already, but I've read most and they don't match up in a way to help my situation:

I'm upgrading a Dell optiplex 7020 mini tower. Works well with the OG power supply ~270W. 
When I tried two different power supplies to up the wattage neither work: the computer shows no signs of life or power draw.

The tried ATX psus:
AresGame 500W Bronze 80+
ThermalTake SMART 700W White 80+ 

I am using an adapter to convert the 24-pin to 8-pin.

I am happy to provide any other details!

Thanks,
Kevin

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 12th, 2023 14:00

Re: Do you think that given the last picture with the ThermalTake Smart 700W (same one that failed for me) that the problem might be my adapter?

it could be.  if another reputable psu fails to power up too that would be two against one making you doubt the adapter is good. you can ask amazon for a replacement.

do you mean R9 270?  there is no RX for 200 series.  RX starts at 400 series

For R9 270, a 450w-500w suffices

Load Wattage:373 W
Recommended PSU Wattage:423 W

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2023 10:00

Hey all
@redxps630 @bradthetechnut @CBIVTI22 
Wanted to update you:
NEW PSU: corsair CX-M 650W new from bestbuy
we have a quick fan spin on the cpu cooler (no other fans) but then nothing.
we tried with the new GPU r9 270 and theres a blue light, fans shift a bit, than nothing. 

OLD PSU: still works

I'm thinking the next move has to be the adapter. Does anyone think there could be a short somewhere?

Thanks all,

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

April 23rd, 2023 11:00

It's possible there could be a short, but can't tell. I'm currently trying(and testing) the 365W Dell PSU in my 9020. It has an RX 580, which pulls 150W. Everything is working, so far. In fact, I'm typing this message on said PC. If everything works well, you could do that as a last resort.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2023 15:00

I think we mentioned the adapter quite a bit and they're not that expensive.  I'd try a different one.

EDIT:  I do think redxps is on to something in the following post.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 23rd, 2023 16:00

this Amazon adapter is probably defective.  not necessarily a short.  this type of adapter includes a 5V SB to 12V SB DC to DC active converter.  If the converter had failed then the adapter would not work.  

in case the adapter was made incorrectly, double check the Amazon adapter cable wire color pinout.  It should follow standard: ATX pin 8.9.10.11.16.17.18.19

8 pin

+12V (yellow) +12v (yellow) Gnd (black) PS_ON (green)
+12V SB (purple) Gnd (black) Gnd (black) PWR_OK (gray)

24pin ATX24pin ATX

redxps630_0-1682292724738.jpeg

May 4th, 2023 15:00

I just received my Thermaltake supply and had the same thing happen. I see this question is a couple weeks old now so maybe it's been resolved. The solution in my case was to also plug in one of the CPU power (+12/Ground) plugs near the CPU socket. Smacked myself upside the head for forgetting that one, it's important!

10 Posts

May 5th, 2023 09:00

@redxps630 @RandomUser6942 @bradthetechnut @CBIVTI22 

WELL LADS!
As of this morning, my buddy has told me that the PC is powering on and stable with everything (new GPU). He didn't have a monitor attached, so I'm still holding my breath. But: turns out with this Corsair, he forgot to plug in the 4-pin when he first got it. This obviously explains why we had no life. After he saw @RandomUser6942, he did a midnight test with it plugged in. We laughed about it. I cried about.

NOW: rest assured we did have the 4 pin plugged in for the thermaltake (we were on a video call for that).

TLDR: It works with the the corsair 650mx! no replacement adapter needed. User error caused the initial test with that PSU to have problems. 

Thanks all. I'm gonna mark this as the solution because it seems that the PSU quality was directly contributing to the problem and I chose the working PSU from this list provided. I wish I could mark everyone as a solution lol 
It's been a journey, and I don't think I would've stayed sane or in good financial standing without you guys lol

10 Posts

May 5th, 2023 09:00

thanks for posting! In a long story short: It's looking like that was part of the problem. Longer: my buddy who actually has the physical PC and is doing the handiwork while I advise from afar just let me know today that he forgot about that 4 pin plug (there was some miscommunication between us). While we had already done that with the Thermaltake we had and it didn't work, it DID work with the Corsair replacement we bought. SO: you're not wrong, and not the only one who'd miss that!! 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 5th, 2023 11:00

Glad it's working!!  : )

No Events found!