Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 13:00

Dell Optiplex 780 USFF No Display Error Code 2-3-4

Hello, I've have a Dell Optiplex 780 USFF for over a year, and it always worked fine, but I recently upgraded some components in it and it stopped booting/displaying image on my monitor after I tested it.

I believe this is an issue with the motherboard, since other people have claimed a swap has fixed the system for them. I have already tried to replace the PSU, and nothing changed at all. I have memory that is 1600MHz, but I believe the system should just slow the memory down as it did when I put the exact same sticks in my 790 SFF.

Does anybody know what this could possibly be?

Thanks for any help.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 17:00

1600MHz RAM has not been working in 780's.  Though Crucial sells 1600MHz RAM on their website for 780's, this has been incorrect.

Twice this year, I sent Crucial a link to the Optiplex 780 Tech Guide plus a screengrab of the RAM page.  Nothing changed.

This is the 4th time in recent history a 780 user had trouble while trying to use 1600MHz RAM.  The 780 can take either 1066MHz or 1333MHz RAM.

I'm still pasting what's in Dell Diagnostic Indicators :

234 USB USB subsystem configuration activity or failure
  • Remove all external peripherals and any internal CRUs.
  • If LEDs change, add parts back one at a time until the fault re-occurs, and the contact technical support.
  • If the fault remains the same with the parts removed, contact technical support.

I still think it's more likely the RAM due to the experiences other users had.  I'd go there first, especially if your USB devices and other internal devices were working fine before.

Screengrab is for the 780:

Optiplex 780 Memory Chart.png

If by chance this doesn't solve it, we'll need to know what all components that were upgraded and their specifics; like if the CPU was upgraded and what CPU.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 18:00

It took me a second to remember that the 780 USFF came in the next generation case.  Did you get 2,3,4 with blue or amber power light?

Capture+_2020-08-03-20-06-36.png

Capture+_2020-08-03-20-06-19.png

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 6th, 2020 14:00

No.  The pc needs to be in running order.  Corrupt or missing BIOS can mean a bricked MB.

Remember how you said you did upgrades, then got that error?  I would put previous components back first from when it was running, one by one, starting with RAM, and see if it runs again.  If it does, then you'd be able to make sure it has the latest BIOS for the 780.  Always a good idea to have the latest BIOS before doing hardware upgrades.

Whatever components you upgraded to should not affect BIOS, other than BIOS detecting it.

If you still get that error with previous components put back, then you might be looking at an MB swap.

Did you upgrade the CPU?

Hi, the power button light is amber. Is there a way I can flash the new BIOS to this computer?

I did upgrade the memory, and sold the old memory. Big mistake on my part, I didn't even think to boot it up before purchasing upgrades. I even tried to change the hard drive, cpu, and power supply, and it still doesn't boot. At this point, I've given up on the system, and won't swap the motherboard. Thanks for the help, anyways.

No Events found!