Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2020 15:00

Gigabyte motherboard in an Optiplex 7010 SFF ?

I'm thinking of putting Gigabyte A5201 AC mini-ITX motherboard in old 7010 SFF. I can handle making my own mount points but do not know which connections are proprietary and which ones will work. I believe PSU will be fine as chosen mobo, cpu, cooler and gpu are estimated at 168W. @speedstep I was looking at your answer to https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Dell-optiplex-7010-sff-motherboard-dimensions-HELP/td-p/7376256 and hoping you may share some knowledge. Other than Pocation 5pin to 4pin connector and screw set what might I need ? If I can make this work I can have a decent work station for $400.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2020 17:00

Dell does not provide pinouts ever.  You would not save anything by trying to use proprietary Dell Case and Power supply.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

September 19th, 2020 15:00

It sounds like your already somewhat familiar with Dell being quite proprietary.  Rear MB panel is proprietary, and so is fan wiring, and front panel wiring, which is undocumented for the public.  You wouldn't want to use Dell fans on another brand MB.  It' may not be completely impossible to use a Gigabyte MB in a Dell SFF case, but one really has to be an expert at it.

Your best bet is to use an aftermarket case; and it won't cost $400.

478 Posts

Just buy a good case for the gigabyte MoBo. It's just not worth all the work to try to get a dell case adapted.

10 Posts

It is just a way of trying to get by with no more money to budget. $400 was MB, 3rd gen Ryzen processor, 16GB DDR4-4000 and graphics card. I was trying to avoid a case, power supply, storage and surely something I'm forgetting. The 7010 still works, it is just no good for compiling with 8 hour build times for an Android ROM. It has i5-3470 and I haven't found any upgrade that looked worth trying. The i7's that are compatible with this socket and motherboard don't appear any more impressive than the i5.

No Events found!