Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

September 12th, 2019 06:00

Low CPU Frequency (800MHz)

Hello,

I have an OptiPlex 7050 Micro (Core i5-6500T) which will only run at 790MHz. Way off from its designed speed. It is running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 x64. All drivers and BIOS updates have been applied and are at their latest versions. Intel SpeedStep has been disabled in the BIOS. Reverting the BIOS back to factory configuration has done nothing as well. This unit is one of several identical machines in service, but the only one with this problem. Is there anything else I can try, or is this a warranty issue?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 12th, 2019 06:00

SpeedStep has been disabled SETS the cpu to LOW MODE ALWAYS with no turbo boost.  6500T represents a LOW power version of the 6500 (35W) vs the

CPU will not run in turbo mode unless only 1 core is being used.

The Intel power gadget will show you what its doing.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget/

Neither DELL nor Intel support 3rd party software or guarantee a particular mhz for any given cpu.

and other software like HWmonitor routinely gets that number wrong and its not supported by Microsoft or Intel or Dell.

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) is a power and thermal management technology developed by Intel. EIST was introduced as a means of enabling high performance while meeting the energy star power-saving needs of a computer system.

Maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency varies depending on workload, hardware, software, and overall system configuration.

Due to varying power characteristics, processors with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology will not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

478 Posts

September 12th, 2019 14:00

Jason, first try rebooting, and then switching to gigantic text size, and use many different colors.

This is the only way your settings will ever work properly.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2019 14:00

I have re-enabled that setting in the BIOS but it did not change anything. The CPU is only using 10% of its rated capacity.

Thanks for the suggestions

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 12th, 2019 18:00

The low frequency could mean heatsink is clogged and or thermal paste needs to be re done.

8 Posts

October 11th, 2019 16:00

It's due to problem with your AC adapter.

This is kinda "bonus" feature from Dell. Called "the system will adjust the performance to match the power available". For example, if you're using non-genuine adapter. BIOS will decrease the CPU mulitplier to 8x with FSB 100 Mhz and get stuck on this value. Is build-in to many Dell's products including laptops - you can easily find threads of XPS laptop users faced to same problems.

Thus 3 variants are possible:

1. Problem with AC adapter (center pin wire is broken, or pin was simply bent inside the jack), or dead Dallas 2501/2502 identify IC inside the adapter (common situation after charging HP laptop using Dell's charger - HP systems pulls 19V to that pin);

2. Problem with DC jack on the motherboard (loosened, unsoldered etc.);

3. Incompatible adapter. I'm not talking about genuine/not here. Even genuine Dell's adapter can lead to such issue. I've tried to use slim LA90PM130 90W adapter from my XPS laptop instead of OptiPlex's 7050 65W 0MGJN9. It came with 7.4->4.5 adapter and both are perfectly working on Vostro 14 5459. While giving me same issue you've described above on 7050 micro system. I made 90W of power available for system instead of 65W out-of-the-box and OptiPlex returned me insane 800 Mhz of power as reply to this. LOL.

To verify the reason, simply go to BIOS, the "System Logs"->"BIOS Events" tab. There you can find "the AC power adapter type cannot be determined...blah blah" event.

The fun fact about all this situation is that Dell allows you to disable that message forever on 1st event occuring at the boot screen, just hitting the F3 key (can be re-enabled in bios later). But doesn't allow your PC to run higher than 800 Mhz speed with this message hidden. Ha-ha!

1 Message

June 4th, 2020 11:00

Thank you for this tip.. It was the adapter for me.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 08:00

Thanks for the information.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2022 12:00

If the CPU temperature rises, it will throttle down to protect itself. See my post above!

4 Posts

January 7th, 2022 12:00

I know this was an old question, but my answer could be helpful to people searching for a similar issue. The OP didn't mention whether the CPU always runs at 790 MHz (.79 GHz) or only when it warms up.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3275 AIO machine, and while trying to use it with Zoom conferencing, the whole system started to lag, freeze, stutter like mad. (The machine became very unresponsive, with windows flashing and hard to control. There were even messages reporting low resources but looking at the CPU activity it was low at 50% and RAM was also at only 50%!)

This was very perplexing at first, but upon further testing I was able to determine that the culprit was the CPU dropping down from the rated 1.5 GHz (and normally peaking at 2.0 GHz) to a measly 0.79 GHz! By using a hardware monitor (Open Hardware Monitor in this case) I found that while the CPU is normally running at a temperature of around 47 C, as the CPU is utilized at close to 100%, such as while playing video at 1080 resolution on say, YouTube, the temperature starts to slowly rise, and after a few minutes it reaches 57 C, at which point the CPU speed is immediately reduced to 0.79 GHz at which time the video starts to freeze and lag severely so it can't be viewed. If the video is stopped, the temperature slowly decreases and eventually the CPU will return to the 1.5 to 1.8 GHz operation range.

While the other reply here discusses using a non-genuine Dell adapter, this might be the case in some situations, but obviously this temperature issue is another reason why the CPU might throttle down to half speed. I think the solution would be to either apply a new thermal compound (or thermal pad) to the CPU or improve cooling in some way.

I don't know if this was some manufacturing defect. There is no fan in this machine and no thermal pipes either. It's an AMD E2 7th Gen machine with 4 GB RAM and a 1TB HDD.

Hope this helps somebody!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 7th, 2022 14:00

You will have to hack holes in the case and add fans.

The power gadget can help you see whats going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtaowuKAhk

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html

AIO FANS.png

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 23:00

Thank you your post gave me a hint and realized I was using the charger for my other PC. Thanks!

Can't do Kudos to the post, but I hope somebody else who can Kudos this for me.

1 Message

August 30th, 2022 00:00

Wow thanks for the great info! I have re-enabled the warning and found out that the power plug was not all the way in. After pushing it further in, and after rebooting my i5-9500T now operates around 3600MHz instead of 798MHz. 

So people: easiest fix is to verify your power plug is all the way in the desktop case!

1 Message

July 10th, 2023 09:00

I was having this issue after purchasing a refurbished Optiplex 7070 micro-pc unit.  My first thought was the PSU was bad (error telling me the 90w PSU was not the recommended 130w unit), so I grabbed another PSU that I had - it was 180w, and after I powered on the machine, it operated at the expected 3Ghz.  In addition, after powering down the machine, and plugging in the original PSU (that wasn't strong enough), I no longer received the error message - so it was strong enough, but the system was still "seeing" some previously used PSU or something...

No Events found!