Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

4 Posts

July 6th, 2020 03:00

Optiple 7040 Micro BIOS recovery

So I was updating the BIOS and power was cut. Now when I boot I get the "BIOS Recovery Menu". I've created a FAT32 formatted USB key and renamed the OptiPlex_7040_1.17.0.exe to BIOS_IMG.rcv and copied it to the key.

I've inserted it into the Optiplex and booted to the recovery screen (it automatically goes to this anyway). I select 'Recover BIOS' and click continue. I get the warning screen and click 'confirm'.

Staright away, I get "Firmware update failed, rebooting your system".

Things I've tried:

Clearing the RTC with the jumper on the motherboard on RCTRST.
Reset BIOS settings to default and rebooting and trying the recover BIOS again
Another FAT32 formatted USB key
Holding CTRL + ESC on boot (goes to the same Bios recovery menu)

I am not sure what else I can try at this point. Any help would be appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 6th, 2020 03:00

BIOS recovery is not supported on all models.  Below is link to Dell BIOS recovery procedure for those that are. If not covered you are looking at replacing the motherboard.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln300716/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet?lang=en

4 Posts

July 6th, 2020 13:00

The optiplex 7040 is covered under BIOS recovery 1

4 Posts

July 7th, 2020 03:00

Would it b worthwhile downloading the dell image recovery and applying it to the SSD? Does the UEFI contain a recovery image of the BIOS?

Surely, if I'm seeing the BIOS recovery, there's some hope of resurrecting this?

GezBurga_0-1594118920430.png

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 7th, 2020 04:00

The BIOS is not in the Dell recovery image.

If option 1 is applicable and doesn't work its likely bricked.

4 Posts

July 12th, 2020 13:00

Does anyone have experience flashing the BIOS directly using a CH341a usb bios programmer?

No Events found!