Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 5th, 2020 06:00

Optiplex 3010 MT CASE SWAP ~ POWER OK BUT NO DISPLAY!

Hello guys,

I have recently successfully transferred my optiplex into an ATX Case and it worked absolutely perfectly. My only problem is, everything is plugged in on the MOBO and all the fans spin (even on the GPU) but nothing shows up on the TV via HDMI.

I have the MT version of the 3010 and everything is plugged in and whirring just fine - the HDMI was actually plugged into the GPU.

Did not even get big DELL logo at the boot up.

Thanks,
Henry

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 5th, 2020 11:00

good. either you did not insert ram properly in DIMM 1, or that slot is broken. I do see from time to time people selling used board reporting one or two of DIMM slot not working, but board otherwise POST.  So it is not bad albeit not 100% success. You can still use single 4 gb or 8 gb stick.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2020 06:00

Do a CMOS memory (BIOS) hard reset and see if that helps.

Power off the PC disconnect the AC power cord.  Press the power switch for 10 seconds or so to drain any residual power.  Remove the CR2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard for at least 10 minutes.  Reinstall the battery, reconnect AC power and try.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 5th, 2020 07:00

HELP!

Still no display!

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 5th, 2020 07:00

Hi is there anything else I can do as I have no post whatsoever. Not even into the bios.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 5th, 2020 10:00

What do you exactly mean by “it worked absolutely perfectly“  was it working at one time that you had video, or you never got video?

During no post diagnosis, disconnect everything from motherboard: no discrete gpu, no hdd, no keyboard no mouse, remove all rams, put only one ram back in DIMM 1.  connect monitor to on board iGPU only.  test each one of the 4 ram individually.

if possible borrow a verified working psu from another pc.  if still no joy, test without any ram, does motherboard beep then?  If possible borrow a working ram pulled from another pc.

you have tried CMOs battery method. Have you also tried reset CMOs jumper on motherboard?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

It worked with only 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, if i tried the exact stick or new stick of ram in other DIMM port, it doesn't work.

I have disconnected everything and it only works when only 1 stick of ram is in DIMM2.

Have tried CMOs battery + jumper - Did nothing.

Also when you said: "One of four rams", I only have 2 DIMM slots on this Optiplex 3010 MT motherboard (8GB) (2x4gb DDR3)

Please reply as quick as you can

Thanks, 
Henry

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

When you said it worked, do you mean successful POST w Dell logo showing up on monitor then logo disappearing normally, when you have only 1 ram in DIMM 2?  Does both ram stick reproduce this limited success scenario?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

Ok I will buy a single 8gb stick HOWEVER it worked fine with 2 slots before when it was in the original case so I am confused?!

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

Yes it posted into the dell logo and both ram sticks did reproduce this limited success scenario.

Thanks,
Henry

478 Posts

May 5th, 2020 12:00

This may be a dumb post, but check carefully underneath and top of the board to make sure nothing could be shorting a pin or trace near the memory slots. Like a washer, nut, or seam, ridge, etc. Anything touching a trace or pin .

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 5th, 2020 13:00

memory slots can sometimes take a few trials to seat the memory correctly.  even when it seems right to your eyes, it may not work on first couple of trials.  but if you have tried a dozen times using the best technique you have and it still does not POST, and you have checked for no short as @donm4599x suggested or no foreign material trapped in slot, then the slot is not good any more.

No Events found!