Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 21st, 2018 05:00

Optiplex 3020 - Graphics Card Upgrade Issue

Hi there,

Okay, so I had an old Optiplex 3020 sat around in the office and I wanted to use it in our meeting room for a very graphic intensive presentation live rendering from a BIM application.

Now, the BIM application and graphic presentation software work fine, accept the presentation software runs at about 5fps, given that it is running off a GTX 610, this come as no surprise.

So this is what I did: I bought a GTX 770, a new 550w power supply and a proprietary power cable that allows me to convert the 24 pin connector for the Mobo power to an 8 pin proprietary Mobo power connector (¬¬ Thanks Dell).

The video card does not output anything, the fans spin fine, all lights light up on the card, all power connections from the PSU to the card are connected and still nothing. The system doesn't even detect that it's even there.

The GTX 770 has been tested in other machines and works fine

So to Summarise, I have done the following:

- New Graphics Card,

- New PSU for the Graphics Card,

- New Cable to Convert standard Mobo power Connector to Dell's Proprietary One,

- Updated all drivers and Bios.

- GTX is confirmed as working in other PC's

Am I missing something that is specific to this Dell that i'm not aware of?

Thanks,

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 26th, 2018 16:00

While Nvidia card are usually immune ... this problem is usually caused by a mis-match between the machine and the video card, in regards to Legacy/EFI/UEFI. Some AMD cards use to have a non-UEFI/UEFI switch.

To combat this ... when upgrading Dells and HPs ... it's usually better to stick to old parts of the same vintage. It's not like these motherboards are fully capable like retail-aftermarket boards.

Also, new machines are cheap now-days, and even if it works ... you still just have an old machine (that has been upgraded) that you just dumped and bunch of money and effort into . Instead, add a bit more money, and you can get a new one, with current OS, a warranty, and a life of 3-5 years.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2018 16:00

Hi, I had similar issue on 9020 and GTX 770 finally have given up and later noticed that my other 7010 with gtx 770 loses video output  when Legacy ROM is disabled. Same might apply to your 3020. Lukasz

No Events found!