Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 02:00

Optiplex 390 - Windows 7 ISO install

Hello.
I wanted to install Windows 7, on my Optiplex 390, I downloaded the ISO file from the Dell Recovery Image website link. Then I used dd to copy to the pendrive, according to the instruction link. Unfortunately, the PC does not boot from USB. This happens only with Windows, any other system (Linux) running on USB runs without a problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2018 06:00

Dell Recovery tool does not allow copying of the USB media.  The link in your post is for LINUX.

The device must be either 16 gig or 32 gig usb flash drive AND you must put it in the rear ports and those ports MUST BE USB 2.0 for windows 7 installation.

The 390 does not have AHCI only ATA for sata operation.

The Dell tool requires DOTNET 4 installed and windows 7 or higher.

If you actually own a 390 you can use the key from the windows 7 COA to install windows 10 1803.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 6th, 2018 18:00

Assuming you are doing a clean install, have you tried the Microsoft Media Creation tool for Windows 7?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

6 Posts

December 7th, 2018 03:00

At the moment I have only linux installed. I still have an old laptop (lenovo;)) with WindowsXP 32bit and the Microsoft tool does not work on it. just like the Dell tool. I tried with unetbootin - it does not work. I will check with Rufus as soon as I have access to the computer.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 7th, 2018 10:00

The Dell OptiPlex 390 Boots from the Dell Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit Skylake ISO without a problem when setup with Rufus using the GPT Partition Scheme. However avoid using the front USB ports for the Bootable USB or mouse/keyboard. Also since you are using direct download links for a relatively large file, check that your ISO Checksums match the following before making the Bootable USB:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-dell-skylake-windows-7/

No Events found!