Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 29th, 2020 09:00

Optiplex 7020 SFF case shocking me

Hello 

My PC case is shocking me, you can't really feel it all to much on the sides or top, but on the back especially the PCI brackets you can really feel it. Everything works in fact i'm using it to make this.

It also will do this while unplugged with the power chord completely removed you can feel alittle bit of the electricity. I had to tighten the heat sink and I could feel current going into the metal part of my screw driver WHILE ITS UNPLUGGED.

I ordered it from ebay and it appears to have fallen or been hit hard by something as there is a big dent on a part that would take good force to dent. 

As I said before I had to tighten the heat sink because it was going up to 100c when i tested it with HeavyLoad fortunately that fixed the heat problem.

Now. i actually took out the power supply removed it completely let it sit over night. then I reinstalled it and the shocking went away but then it came back. i have asked the eBay seller to send me a new power supply and it looks like he will. Other people online seem to think it could be the motherboard not being mounted properly also. 

If anyone has any idea what is going on your input would be of value

Thanks

2.5K Posts

February 29th, 2020 11:00

too bad photos are so slow to show up on a topic that makes humans in danger,  wow, that is not cool at all.

what in the world is a slot extender,?   (seen vast things me but no that)

if you mean an AC power strip call it that please , there is no AC slots, ok?

power strips are bad,  many are HORRIBLE, with horrid grounds or or fail and get loose !!!! in 6 months if fact some sold from you know 12,000 miles away on lower hemisphere are junk! if you learn to read UL spec,  they even have  classification for (this junk )

temporary,  6 months,  (as seen on old WEBER strips even in 1975 and illegal in many cities then, my point NOT NEW THIS, not at all and if you read dells page,  they tell you step1 get rid of that)

IF WISE and must use those jUNK power strips use them on all thing BUT THE PC< wire it direct to the wall.

First the wall jacks must have good grounds,  or anyone can get shocked with anything failing

like this. (see PC monitor and drink spill )  BTW,  a GFI in line would end all this, GFI wall jack for sure.

the wall grounds must be good or you home is not safe, ok./ it is that simple and if you have drinks hear electronics, a GFI is CALLED FOR , with DOING THAT BAD ACT.

GFI =  ground fault interrupter.  (at wall or in the service panel) buy one cheap ask ways to install. 

MY PC wires direct to A UPS and it to its own wall jack all by itself. and my grounds are perfect.

I even have 2 ground stacks at my  power service entrance for other reasons. I keep them wet too with saltwater. (I can not allow lightning damage me. can not  risk it but am covered with INS)

Buy this,? (not really pro grade at all but better than zero tools) 

finds hard fails, miswired, and open lines all 3,

2.5K Posts

good USA , Ws.

is the wall jacks 3 pin plugs, In the 50s as kid all jack2 pins and endless shocks to me then, some nasty on washing machine and me.  (I ground stacked that beast)

all jacks 3 pins, each port. is it?

is it a modern home or relic of the past. 

next is make sure the service entry of power has ground stake wire the panel,  seen some damaged by those guys that do wild landscaping, and damage the huge copper wire there or the clamp rusts,  do not allow this.

then comes breaker panel fuse box, and your electrician test.

we can also add a GFI to the computer room or in the fuse box,  and SET  RISK to ZERO

2.5K Posts

what country is this?, and is the wall jacks there with 3 wires, 3 prong plugs and jacks only, test the ground on the 3 lug, USA is the bottom U shaped pin  (test this fully now)

A USA home has a ground stake and goes to the breaker box then all jacks in home with 3rd safety ground.

in many beach houses I have rented in last 15 years (in South AMer),  they have bad power there, and NO GROUND at all. that is correct, and very dangerous, for any non plastic appliance like any metal PC.

and every thing there shocks me, and well everyone there. ( every place I find I CURE)

if  you put (install)   GFI wall jack in the wall then the shocks end, buy one and do that, and plug the PC into it with 3 wire cable form DELL,

then if you have power shorts in other paths it lands on the PC ground and the GFI trips telling you this home is FULLY UNSAFE,  next call and electrician to the home and he will see that in 5 min flat, then in 30 minute  or so tell YOU THE REAL BAD DEVICE in the home or PC,

bad printer, for sure water spills.

bad Monitor. same water deal.

any thing that has AC power connected to the PC is SUSPECTED. (yes PSU too.)

please be careful and know that this short you have in power can get worse and be even lethal, 

infact at the beach house here,  253v PEAK can be present , and for sure you house not grounded, as iT MUST BE.

please be-careful. 

why not post a photo of your POWER cord end.  so we can talk to you and be 10x more accurate.

#1 but your WALL for sure has BAD GROUND feeds, for SURE. (using only your facts stated)

there are 2 things wrong in fact, above bad house  wiring or even damage dell power cord or some(BAD GUY)

cut the 3rd pin on then of cord or some lame bad power strip , no wire PC to the wall power direct.

error #2 is what, you have  a shorted device connected to this PC, and the above #1error allows you to  be shocked. (in USA the pain is 1/2 of out side USA< 120v not 240vac.

USA Wisconsin. I will try hooking it up on a different area of the house as the PC in my room does not do this.

2.5K Posts

in most cases,  and shocks , first blame the room , when that is fixed then bad gear (peripherals) you have will smoke (steam?) and or blow a breaker if the BAD device say got wet, or just shorted inside, and big danger.

blame the room means the wall jacks or cables to it bad, aLL AC power wiring can fail, check them carefully for  damage cuts, dog bites,or  bent pins , cut off pins and the like, even get a new PC power cord,  easy. it is a standard cable.

and no power strips some are very very poor grade., (not all )just the cheap ones are.

so one room passes so now you have a bad room, please fix that soon, so other scan not get shocked.

February 29th, 2020 10:00

I can't believe it, setting it up in my room seems to have made it stop, though it had stopped before and come back. I thought for sure it was a power supply thing.Here was the setup.

Black power chord from wall to goes to hook up yellow slot extender, then orange cable goes to hook up another smaller white slot extender. In that white slot extender was where my PC and Monitor were plugged. Sorry if the photos are not in the right order or upside down I have no idea why they look like that.

4.jpg4

1.jpg1

2.jpg2

3.jpg3

February 29th, 2020 11:00

Thanks for taking the time to help me, it means alot.

2.5K Posts

February 29th, 2020 12:00

photos are now active (eeeeeekkkkkkssss)

and I'm running far from you scared  and will not return (gee man that is a mess) why do that ? why?

at least put the PC wired to its own wall outlet , WHY NOT DO THAT , at least.

2.5K Posts

February 29th, 2020 12:00

buy power trips that are not the most cheap.

showing UL listed or IEC listed. (and shows listing number) this is because knockoffs use no number at all (lies)

now called RTP, (relocatable) (old name TEMPORARY)

"shall not serve as fixed wiring of a structure or of fixed furnishings!  "

“relocatable power taps” in the UL book,

"They are intended to be directly connected to a permanently installed branch-circuit receptacle outlet only, and not intended to be series connected (daisy chained) to other relocatable power taps or to extension cords."

The top brands are best, never $8 strips if any kind for sure weak flimsy ground pins that go bad fast.

The cheap brands use cheap soft brass socket pins that bend, and fail,.

No Events found!