Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2019 22:00

Optiplex 7050 nvme and display port

I have OptiPlex 7050 SFF, latest BIOS-Version 1.12.1, 09.05.2019.

I have added an nvme drive to m.2 slot however is only seen in the BIOS & OS if the monitor is plugged into HDMI.

Plug in the monitor to display port, either port, results on the nvme drive not being seen at the BIOS and subsequent the OS. I have tried 2 different manufacturers of nvme and the result is the same.

This on the surface seems like a BIOS related bug, has anyone else run into this issue?

Using only the HDMI port is not useful for my setup.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2020 02:00

The issues turns out to be the pin 20 issue with the DP cable. Changing the DP cable resolve the issue with the NVMe drive.

Thanks

• 

25.1K Posts

December 31st, 2019 23:00

Hi @bigal_au, welcome to the community.

Do you get any display on Display Port when the NVMe drive removed? Do you have any other hard drive installed along with this drive?

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with the version of Windows installed.

-Akshatha

4 Posts

January 1st, 2020 00:00

Yes the Display Port works fine with or without the nvme drive installed.

The nvme drive is only visible when the display port is not connected.

I have removed all other drive connections.

• 

25.1K Posts

January 1st, 2020 01:00

Hi @bigal_au, thank you for the details. Does the system complete POST when the NVMe drive is connected? Is this NVMe drive purchased from Dell?

Please private message us the system service tag.

-Akshatha

4 Posts

January 1st, 2020 20:00

POST is shows no errors in any configuration.

I have used two different nvme drives , One is Crucial  CT1000P1SSD8 the other a slightly older Intel 600p series. Both listed as compatible but not Dell devices

Both give the same results , only visible to the BIOS when HDMI is connected and not Display Port.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2020 14:00

@bigal_au wrote:

The issues turns out to be the pin 20 issue with the DP cable 

Changing the DP cable resolve the issue with the nvme drive.

Good trouble-shooting .

Never heard of this. But yeah ... in-correctly-wired cables can do all sorts of bad things to machines. From that URL:

- Incorrectly made DisplayPort cables can cause boot issues on PCs.
- For DisplayPort cables manufactured to the VESA specification, Pin 20 is NOT connected 

No Events found!