Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 29th, 2018 15:00

Optiplex 755, Windows 10, updates and questions

Grandma has inherited an old but working Optiplex 755. Like most home users, she is going to use it for web browsing, email, and Microsoft Office. She has asked me to see if it needs any updates or improvements.

Here is the situation:

• Optiplex 755 with Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU, Processor ID 10676
  • 4x 1GB RAM
  • Western Digital Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
  • Currently has BIOS A10 dated 4-30-2008 microcode 60B
  • Microsoft Office 2010 installed

I can see from the Product ID Tag that it originally had MS Windows Vista Business OEMAct.

Another family member converted that to Windows 10 version 1703 32-bit.

It seems to me that two items are worth doing, if possible

1. Update to the more recent BIOS...
    Can we go right to BIOS A22, skipping A19...
    or is it necessary to update once to A19, and THEN to A22?
    Is there a more recent BIOS?
    There is no floppy disk drive, so can I do this using a USB thumb drive?

2. Since this box has a 64-bit processor,
    is it possible to convert the installed 32-bit version of Win 10 Home to a 64-bit version?
    If this is possible, I would appreciate a link to that procedure.
    I found a program (ProduKey) to tell me the Product ID and the Product Key.

3. Assuming that we can accomplish #1 and #2, will we need to update drivers?
    The Dell website does not seem offer anything for Windows 10 on this machine.

Thank you very much for these answers and any additional advice. 

Hopefully we will get a few more years of service from this PC.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 29th, 2018 16:00

duplicate post

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

It's a 10 yr old computer and if it is running windows 10 ok, consider yourself lucky and use that if it is activated properly. Don't upgrade anything. 64 bits is for computers with over 4gb of ram and requires a clean install which means losing all her programs and files. The windows 10 built in drivers will probably work ok. The bios update is not a good idea either and could cause problems. Just check for windows 10 activation, scan for malware and viruses and run the Dell diagnostics. If windows is not activated, the product codes will not help. You'd have to buy a $100 license. If that is the case, buy her a new budget model computer instead. It is not worth spending any money on a XP computer. XP is the last OS supported by Dell for that model.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

There is no point.

Bios update may fail on windows 10 rendering the unit dead.

64 bit os does not benefit from 3.5 gigs of ram.  The system steals 512 megs from the onboard ram and you never get this back.

THERE IS NO UPGRADE FROM ANY VERSION OF WINDOWS from 32 to 64 or the other way round.

You must completely install from scratch.

Although 10 is not supported on this model it works fine.

Most of the drivers are Vista or 7 drivers.

There are no 10 specific drivers and never will be.

Chipset, Audio, and INTEL AMT HECI SOL drivers, and INTEL Graphics if you are using the integrated video are required.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/optiplex-755.html

VersionSupported OSDownload
 AMT HECI   3.2.20.1049 PVWindows Vista 32-bit
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows XP
Windows Vista 64-bit
Windows XP x64
CHIPSET 8.3.0.1013Windows Vista 64-bit
Windows Vista 32-bit
Windows XP
Windows XP x64

DescriptionSupported OSDownload
 ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio
More details
Windows Vista 64-bit
Windows Vista 32-bit

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2018 12:00

@AlphaCwrote:

When a new PC is available, will I have to buy a new copy of Office, or is there a way to move the Office Professional Plus 2010 (Activated) version 14.0.7190.5000 (32-bit) FROM this old PC to the new one.  She has no need for a newer version of Office.

If it's a Dell OEM copy, not sure how legit it will be, but yes ... Office 2010 Pro Plus will run fine on Windows-10. And yes, it should re-Activate. With Access 2010, you paid hundreds of dollars for it.

If you have the CoA Key Card, use it. If not, see:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/software/how-to-find-your-windows-or-office-product-key.html

If you know it to be "Pro Plus" that sounds like maybe a Student/Business "Home Use Program" License, which means there is no problem moving it.

There is always: 

https://fossbytes.com/best-alternatives-microsoft-office/

If you want a "locally installed" program ... LibreOffice is fine for most uses.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/openoffice-is-dead-long-live-libreoffice/

7 Posts

May 8th, 2018 12:00

Thank you both for the sage advice.

So I guess this machine will stay relatively 'frozen' until Grandma gets a new computer - perhaps at Christmas time.

It does seem to be working OK.   I found instructions from Susan Bradley at AskWoody.com to disable the Windows Update Service, so that it should not allow Microsoft to automaticall push and install Windows 10 version 1803.  It seems to me that updating windows 10 could be risky.

Am I correct in thinking that the only updates on this machine for the rest of the year will be to the Firefox browser and its add-ons?

When a new PC is available, will I have to buy a new copy of Office, or is there a way to move the Office Professional Plus 2010 (Activated) version 14.0.7190.5000 (32-bit) FROM this old PC to the new one.  She has no need for a newer version of Office.

Perhaps this could become a Linux learning PC next year.

Thank you for responding!

7 Posts

May 8th, 2018 16:00

Yes, I found three product ID and three product Keys on this machine...

Internet Explorer (has an OEM Product ID)
Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Office Professional 2010

I like the idea of learning to use Libre Office along with Linux as projects for the coming winter 2018-19!

Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 9th, 2018 04:00

Windows 10 1803 is fine.   I recommend a wired installation.  I also recommend downloading and 1803 ISO and burning it to a DVD so that you can reinstall starting there instead of the endless update route.  There are no issues in general other than those which are common to all users.  Especially the ones that force off when it says updating do not turn off. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 9th, 2018 04:00

Windows 10 1803 is fine.   I recommend downloading and burning an 1803 ISO so that you can reinstall starting there.

Other than the OEM specific Drivers 10 works fine on all newer Optiplexes from the GX620 /745/755/760/780/960/980 etc.

The AMT and Audio and Video and chipset drivers are the only things required.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2018 10:00

@AlphaCwrote:

Windows 10 Home

If that is legit, someone recently paid about $100 for that also. I suggest you find the real box, Disc, and serial key-card.

December 2nd, 2022 07:00

Well yes most of this is true. But multiple people including myself, have installed it on the PC. It runs perfectly fine with 4 GB of ram. If the hard drive is too full to install windows 10, Defragment using a tool can give space to the hard drive or system partition. me myself, have had windows 7 on it. then i updated to 8.1 then 10. The OS's work perfectly on 64 bit based PC's. NOT 32 bit [VERY SLOW BUT WORKS] make sure you have a reasonable amounts of ram. That's all. Then you got a full operating windows 10 machine.

December 2nd, 2022 07:00

Flashing bios to the system via usb flash drive will work.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 09:00

concur. My client also told me the 755 sff I refurbished for him held out well for his business over the last couple of years without issue running Win 10.  The only upgrade he likes to have is from 4 gb to 8 gb which helps some browser applications.  He is using hdd not ssd.

No Events found!