Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

12 Posts

February 5th, 2020 04:00

Optiplex 9020/Intel RST RAID/Windows 10

I have two Optiplex 9020's that successfully ran Intel RST RAID-1 arrays under Windows 7.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have had some issues getting RAID to work properly.  Both are now working but I am stopped at Windows 10 Version 1803 and 1809.  Recent posts indicate that Microsoft does not support RST Version 14.8 (the last OEM version for the 9020) when upgrading to Windows 10, Version 1903.  Is this true??  Does Dell plan to release a newer OEM version for this desktop.  I tried the last generic Intel RST (15.9) but it fails when trying to create the RAID array.  I understand these two systems are out of warranty but Dell has always continued to release updated software for their systems.  That is a major reason to buy Dell as opposed to Acer, HP or Lenovo.

I have an Optiplex 7020 non-RAID as well as a Latitude E6410 that both are running Version 1903 with earlier versions of RST.  Since RAID is not supported on these two systems, it doesn't seem to be as big an issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2020 15:00

@Greg0130 wrote:

Optiplex 9020

1. Windows 7.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10

2. RST Version 14.8 (the last OEM version for the 9020) when upgrading to Windows 10,

1. Upgrades can be tricky. Maybe you should have upgraded the Intel-RST first ? Try a clean/fresh install of Windows.

2. I've never heard of an "OEM version of Intel-RST". Just go over to Intel and get the normal version.

If it doesn't work, maybe your motherboard's Intel-chipset is no longer supported ?

2.5K Posts

February 7th, 2020 08:00

Redux 1, 

you have and array, finally told LATER, ouch if the boot drive, is it?

the MS official page on w10 up grade tells you not to do that and you did, ok now what?

they tell you to backup the array and the do a fresh load, or upgraded to w10 with drivers set to non raid mode.

you do know there is no RST w10 driver right or south bridge chip sets below Series, 100 (h110) as YOURS  is Q87..  fail .

then there is the lame idea (IMO) of using w7 raid drivers,  loading using magic compatiblity mode, tell me how fun that will be  when that fails and you tell others (any) you did that, oops,  sorry you lost data

why do that,?

Just  use MS storage spaces on a normal default, SATA AHCI mode system. THIS IS THE  WAY.

Dont upgrade, it yet, back up that array, in w7 using top grade BACKup  software, to other media..

then install w10 fresh or the upgrade, with BIOS set to ACHI only.

the build the the storage spaces array

and last recover you backup to then new MS array.

end saga.

2.5K Posts

February 7th, 2020 08:00

there is no  RAID driver for W10 . Ok

Dell does not have it, intel does no have it nor is it needed at all if not running an ARRAY .

now I see after many post you are running an ARRAY.

so the MS PnP server, driver, do not work with any ARRAY , MS does not support this chips set either for true Intel RAID,

frankly how could dell or MS support  you lacking w10 drivers from Intel.  (magic?)

if you had installed w10 fresh the SATA ports are supported by MS, in NONE RAID mode.

so do that and build a  MS , Storage Array. using STORAGE SPACES,  using x count of SATA AHCI ports (neat)

that is your  only clean solution, lacking intel support end to end.

2.5K Posts

February 7th, 2020 09:00

do not use the Intel,  RST in w10 ok?  do not. or  you will be sorry for many reasons for sure zero support.

12 Posts

February 11th, 2020 05:00

I have opened a case with Intel and they tell me that I have to use the OEM (Dell version) of Intel RST.  That latest version is 14.8 (available on support.dell.com for the Optiplex 9020) and it is working fine for now.  I tried the latest generic (Intel) version of RST - 15.9 on these systems.  It will install but will not build a RAID array.

I have used Intel RST with my Optiplex (and even older Inspiron) desktops creating RAID-1 arrays for a long, long time.  It gives me entire drive protection (all partitions) as opposed to Microsoft software RAID which only protects the current system drive) and up until I upgraded to Windows 10 has worked flawlessly.  I have had drive fail and the desktop stays running, although degraded, until I replace with the same model where the drive rebuilt and everything was normal again.  All this done without having to acquire new hardware.

It is unfortunate that the Q87 chipset is no longer supported by Intel.  Even Microsoft supports their products for 10 years.  No new features but at least it works.

Yes I know about HBA's and SAS and SATA.  I have earned Dell technician certifications for workstations, laptops, servers, storage frames and network devices. I maintain Dell PowerEdge servers that run onboard RAID and Dell Powervault storage devices that do the same thing.  It is nice to have the same protection in a workstation - especially when it is used by your wife.  I don't need screaming performance.  Just reliable protection against drive failure.

I have looked around for an inexpensive RAID controller for my home Optiplex workstations but haven't found anything I like.  The LSI model you refer to is a bit older and may have issues with Windows 10.

2.5K Posts

February 11th, 2020 08:00

post your complaints to intel they made your south bridge Q87 chip (nobody else did) and they made the matching driver to it and nobody else did,,,, then ended it at below series 100 series Chipsets, sorry, but that is a fact, and well known , vast post everywhere on this tropic, about lost support for RST real RAID array's

it is their problem  .INTEL.com  them and only them.

and the MS w10 UPGRADE web site warns you not to do that,  for sure, go there read and search the word RAID.

bingo dont.

Use MS Storage solutions or  buy a real raid card,  there are only 2 choices or just use 1 SSD and buy a real server to back up to.? 

99% of most posts here not EMC,  are for non RAID based PC, you are in the 1%.

just boot to SSD, and then put data in a MS storage spaces anywhere you want, in this pC or other.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 11th, 2020 08:00

@Greg0130 wrote:

1. I have to use the OEM (Dell version) of Intel RST.  That latest version is 14.8 (available on support.dell.com for the Optiplex 9020) and it is working fine for now. 

2. I tried the latest generic (Intel) version of RST - 15.9 on these systems.  It will install but will not build a RAID array.

3. I have used Intel RST with my Optiplex (and even older Inspiron) desktops creating RAID-1 arrays for a long, long time ... It gives me entire drive protection (all partitions)

1. It is not OEM. Just an old version (possibly inside a Dell-Installer).

2. There was an major architecture change a while back. Old hardware can only upgrade Intel-RST so far. Luckily, it is not required for the machine's proper operation.

3. RAID-1 is not a true backup. It can not survive a virus or ransomware attack ... nor fire/theft.

2.5K Posts

February 11th, 2020 09:00

start from scratch if backed up. (wifes PC)

New SSD boot drive, and say some HDD drives in and array.

set BIOS to ACHI mode, (no raid)

Install w10 fresh. (MS installer while know the RAID features in the chip are off line) and do the right thing for drivers.

so now RST is gone the MS PnP installer will setup non raid SATA ports and be HBA, only mode.

boot the PC on SSD0, no raid needed, and is robust as all SSD are. then put in the array disks on the other SATA ports. 1,2,3,? etc,

then set up the new RAID using Storage Spaces. on ports 1 to max. drives.

I  install apps to the E: ARRAY/apps/

move my documents to E:ARRAY/mydocs

All other data is kept on E:/ARRAY/DATA.

never store anything of importance on the drive C: (makes backups and recover vastly more easy)

even use backup software and backup a C: image to E:/array/BU. (I use TODO backup  but many are good)

I even have this cool program that backs-up  all applications. My K: is not a  boot drive, see?

"K:\Program Files (x86)\EaseUS\EaseUS Todo PCTrans\bin\PCTrans.exe"

I  run that and backup to ARRAY/BU/APPS.

that is one answer only

2nd way is? next.

I have fastest 6TB external HDD on earth now, in USB-C external case. 227MB/s amazing thing from Seagate(DIY case and drive matched by me or max speed)

I backup it all to there,  have 2 of these , other  is 2TB and 10years old it is only turned on for backups.

for 10 years, this works. no lost of data ever. (just this)

most HDD kept tuned off never fail,  only startup count times and hours on really matter,

I also have R710 backup server H700 RAID6, and one for PLEX. here. all backuped up many ways.

My R710 cost me $100, sans drives., really is free, the drives are SAS,  The fans do not scream only dell cards there so it does not scream. alien cards there  all bets off on noise. (huge)

good day and cheers.

2.5K Posts

February 11th, 2020 09:00

and for sure sorry if I'm talking to the Choir.  for sure how to sing.

RAID is one of the most interesting topic on DP.

history and now and future solutions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2020 15:00

RST version for 9020 is much earlier than 15 or 14

Highest you can use is 12.9  11.7 is too old.

2.5K Posts

February 12th, 2020 04:00

that link clearly states.   the correct answer is DO NOT.. use this. 12.9, NO OTHER ...

The system must be running on one of the following
    operating systems (no other Windows OS versions are supported):
    - Microsoft Windows* 8.1
    - Microsoft Windows* 8.1 x64-bit Edition**
    - Microsoft Windows* 8
    - Microsoft Windows* 8 x64-bit Edition** 
    - Microsoft Windows* 7
    - Microsoft Windows* 7 x64-bit Edition** 
    - Microsoft Windows* Server 2008
    - Microsoft Windows* Server 2008 x64-bit Edition**
    - Microsoft Windows* Server 2012 x64-bit Edition**

"no other" miss that fact>?

the newest one you listed, states, NO W7 SUPPORT,

READ the README on each of those links, it is clear.

12 Posts

February 12th, 2020 04:00

Yes RAID is an interesting topic.  As far as buying a PowerEdge R710 or R720 and give it to my wife for her ancestry research - well I think not.  It was a  real feat for me to convince her to upgrade to Window 10 from Windows 7 doing an in-place upgrade so that it looks as much as possible like her old system.  Yes, it is probably better to keep the c: drive small and have all data on a separate data drive but how many home systems have you see that done.  People generally like to leave stuff in documents or desktop which is in your profile on the C: drive.  Changing is a real pain.  Better to come up with a good backup plan (I do full backups weekly to my Synology NAS in addition to RAID).  Intel RST has worked for me up until now.  I guess I just have to find a more robust solution.  Storage spaces might be a solution but I'm not sure I have the energy to figure out how it will work for me in my application.

In the meantime, I will stay on the lookout for a hardware RAID solution that works on Windows 10.  Thanks to all for the help.  It is disappointing that Intel and Dell won't support a 5 year old system.

2.5K Posts

February 12th, 2020 09:00

again DELL does not make your Intel chip nor driver.

Like buying a car the tries and batteries are not made by your car maker. same thing kinda.

Maybe Intel got tired of updates from MS every 6 months,  (super expensive that)

OK< any company on earth can go out of business , or drop support, this is not dells problem all PC,s all OEM PCs are all subject to those rules,

I agree most folks do not want to change where data is stored nor do they use RAID at all.

1%

I guess you don't ,know that vast PC (DIY like ASUS) and HP and all OEM PCs all had your chip set

all did and all fail for that one reason stated, INTEL dropped the ball. happens.

This is not their first time doing that.(intel)

I get it, you can't use the RST CHIP now, so do not want to use real HW raid or learn new software raid.

so yell at intel,  or stop using raid.   if not using RAID stop using the RST driver. use MS driver ONLY.

I really like LSI9211 it runs super fast. on sas,ssd, sata, all 3 work, 1- 4 or 8 drives.

it can do 600MB/s easy.

raid 1 is good, if one drive dies, data is there on 2nd drive , unlike RAID 0

I'm sure that is what you  are doing, I think. RAID 1

one way to do that better is a cheap LSI-9211-4e card, (or the clones from   IBM M1015 are dirt cheap.

Other names, Avago, and Broadcom owns LSI now.

or the Dell H200 perc card. or here is my list if bang for but, and is super fast card.

Clones of 9211 (4 or 8 ports)  to use sata  we need the cable set to do that, and is not expensive ($15?)

• Shows up at MS at a Falcon {pg2}.
  • This card is called IBM M1115 too. (there are for sure better IBM cards)
  • SMC2008
  • SAS2-2008
  • H200 By Dell , and only $30 used now,

I got a 9211 from IBM for $14 bucks,  sniping on feabay

see MSM here for megaraid manager, 

free from mark find MSM and windows 64bit. readme shows LSI SAS 9211

no better deal exists on cheap and fast RAID, card, none.  (tired vast I have)

the support is  strong here, even USA gov likes them (super strong that is)

my guess is intel drops support for 2 reasons

1: endless w10 updates and super radial. (heck MS even killed there own RAID at updates...dang)

2: 1% customer base or less,  tiny, nobody uses this raid chip do they.?

3: Desktops business is super small now, so.... that 1% is even worse now small. see?

and gamers use the cloud,  gee I dont need any stinking raid they say.?

good luck to you and your PC. cheers !

No Events found!