Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

16 Posts

November 27th, 2018 10:00

Optiplex 990 - Windows 10 Supported?

Will Windows 10 install on a Optiplex 990 (I5 processor)? I see conflicting info if it will or not. I realize that the processor is not officially supported for Win 10 but that could just mean it that the processor was too old for MS to even bother testing against it...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 27th, 2018 10:00

Although Its not supported it works fine with windows 10 1803 and 1809.

Latest Bios is recommended to be installed BEFORE you upgrade to 10.

DescriptionVersionReleasedDownload
Dell OptiPlex 990 System BIOS
This package contains the Dell system BIOS update and is supported on Dell OptiPlex 990 that runs Windows and DOS operating systems. BIOS is a firmware that is embedded on a small memory chip on the computer's system board. It controls the keyboard, monitor, disk drives and other devices. The package contains update for CPU microcode to address Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00115 (CVE-2018-3639 and CVE-2018-3640).More details
A248/21/2018

You clean install 10 telling it you do not have a key if it asks for one.

Then download 7zip and install.

Link Type Windows Description

Download.exe32-bit x867-Zip for 32-bit Windows
Download.exe64-bit x647-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64 (Intel 64 or AMD64)

Then download the Cab file and move to the Documents folder.

Then Right click the cab file with 7 zip and say extract here.

Then go into device manager and install drivers for audio and video and sound by saying update driver and get the driver from my machine aka not from the internet.

Windows 7 System CAB for 990

http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/990-win7-a02-r311400.html

http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/990-win7-A02-R311400.CAB

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 8th, 2020 13:00

Hi,

Has thread been updated please?

Am about to clean-install Windows 10 on my SFF Optiplex 990

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 9th, 2020 14:00

Refurb 990's regularly come with Win10.  Remember to update BIOS first like speedstep said.

If you use Dell Support Assist (google it) it will scan your PC for the drivers you need.  It's a little comprehensive and may take a while, but it's worth it.  I've used it on my 755 and 790.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 20th, 2020 15:00

Sorry Brad, I did not get a post alert.

Pretty sure the Dell Support Assist will have timed out on the pc years ago.

These are my specs - now have a brand new Windows 10 disc with W10 usb key - ready to go - but am wary to proceed because the Optiplex is a 7 beast.

Dell Inc. OptiPlex 990 01

3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board: Dell Inc. 0VNP2H A00
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A05 05/28/2011

Am running 16GB Ram, have a new SSD ready to install.

Please advise further.

Many thanks.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 20th, 2020 17:00

Dell Support Assist is still relevant.

Remember to update BIOS first.  https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c10t9 

There's the possibility you might not be able to go straight to A24 BIOS.  You might have to download in a couple of steps.  For example, I had to download A11 & A19 BIOS before getting to A22 on my 755.  If this is the case with your 990, the system (website) should have you download in the appropriate order.  This is more common on older Dell's.  Remember Dell Support Assist scans your PC and recommends relevent downloads.

Also while your Win7 drive is still installed, format the new SSD.  HDD's and SSD's don't take anything without being formatted.  In case needed:  https://www.google.com/search?q=format+new+ssd&oq=format+new+ssd&aqs=chrome..69i57.14601j0j4&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8  Win7 and Win10 both have the same path for formatting drives.

No need to be wary.  If you want, check out Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.com and you'll find used and refurb 990's sold with Win10.  Walmart.com and Amazon  have refurbs only.  My 790 is also sold with Win10.  Did I mention? - Even 14 yr. old GX620's can run Win10.

Being a little nervous when upgrading a PC is normal and part of the excitement.  That little bit of nervousness also gives us the right amount of caution.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 20th, 2020 17:00

Also, no need to worry about an I5 not running Win10.  I3's run it and plenty of CPU's older than it.

Post alerts via email have been hit or miss.  Sometimes I get alerts for posts I didn't respond to from months earlier.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 21st, 2020 10:00

Thanks, think I just need to bite the bullet, get that SSD in & plug the Windows 10 usb key to the 990 with fingers crossed.

Dell Support Assistant downloaded but could not update the old BIOS, it 'failed' to do so. Anyway, I can re-download it when I have 10 up & running on the 990.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 21st, 2020 11:00

Did you try the link I gave or did it just eventually lead to Support Assist?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 21st, 2020 11:00

990 is not supported model for support assist.  This model is over 12 years old now.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 21st, 2020 15:00

No, I googled Dell Support Assistant then downloaded it onto the 990, it worked but it couldn't update the BIOS, but I'll repeat this when I load the new SSD to the 990. 

Am not accessing Dell Forums & links through the Optiplex 990, this pc is a Dell Inspiron. The 990 is more or less moth-balled till I get it up & running again, I only run it for diagnostics and so forth at the moment.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 00:00

Success! Followed the link, using the 990. Now running BIOS A23.

Have the complete Win10 system on usb key.

Do I need to download anything on a spare usb key, ahead of the upgrade from 7 to 10 please, & in what order? The top posts for this thread suggest I do.

Please advise further.

Thanks.

2.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 08:00

no PC told,  990 comes in many cases and mobo. 

windows 32bit or 64bit, you did not say? why? ILL go 64bit. answers.

it is 100% free to try, why fear free?

My answers are for fresh installed, you did not say that but is best. upgrades can be a horror.

your PC is Intel Gen2 Sandy Bridge Core i3, i5, i7

and is chip set, Q67

gen 2 is no. (not sure no means dead now, or soon< IDK I cant rule MS)

my guess you didn't read googles first hit here.

that means intel gave the driver to windows.

what dell supports I don't know. but is  on your support page,

no I looked for you and no w10 support for 990,  but may load and some dell things fail, why not learn to try first.

many times the OS loads and 1 thing in device manager fails.

we replace the device, example sound, dead, buy a sound card or dongle new, end fear. for $4

some the iGPU is no good. cure is one used $10 GPU card ask.

that is what any tech does, try it first and if something is dead, FIX IT.  easy as eating apple pie.

you can even put in a spare good hdd and test it for nada...… zero cost. with used old HDD, or SSD

I use 128GB, used $20 drive, to test,  free really,  if you ever paid labor $20 is free. for sure.

first off many refurbs come with working w10 64bit, 990MT  seem on ebay, amazon, and even Newegg.

so you know it runs.  (that leaves 1 thing HOW)

I looked that the complainers on other sites, and they have a  bad HDD,

(step on on all old PCs is run full smart tests on old HDD,  or better 10x better a new SSD( yah think?)

or then loaded wrong drivers to the PC (w7) and it failed. (many w7 drivers are no good for w10 , 1/2?)

learn to fix what don't work easy, one is a good GPU card and even sound dongle or PCe-sound card.

and yah the newest BIOS update using F12 key.

well guess why do this wrong.

load it and tell me what fails in device manager or at install time and we fix that, end the fear.

IN macro a list.

1. newest bios version loaded.
  2. connect ethernet port to your router. (so PnP can do its JOB, do not skip this step !!!!!)
  3. run smart test in that relic , HDD< using ePSA long. (or crystaldiskinfo,.exe or the like)
  4. oops bad hdd, dah?  get one that does not fail smart test.  ok? A SSD is so better now, do it.
  5. get w10 64bit on USB stick  v1909 up not less ever, build it now with MS USB builder only. (toDAYS)
  6. boot the USB using F12, BIOS must be in legacy mode, and USB turned on IN BIOS)
  7. USB boots and loads w10 INSTALLER FRESH. I THEN DELETE ALL partitions old I see there.
  8. then let the installer do all formatting in AUTO mode, just click ok and next and no for all spy questions.
  9. after phase 2, boot,  the os runs.  if not  ok now, tell us what you saw wrong. exactly in any step.
  10. last go to device manager, and look for things wrong , fix them ask how.  it's not hard,so  ask.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 10:00

@savvy2,

The first post by @kr236rk02 said "SFF 990."

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 12:00

Formatting the hard drive.

Which format should I use please? - haven't done this in a while.

And presumably I can only format the drive after it is loaded to the 990?

Many thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 12:00

"Chris DELL above begs and you ignore".

That's a bit abrupt isn't it?

I'm not ignoring anyone, just proceeding with extreme caution.

Yes, this is a clean-install of Windows 10 on a new SSD.

No Events found!