Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

88 Posts

January 2nd, 2022 20:00

Re: a problem with an Optiplex mini tower

The problem is in an Optiplex 9020 mini tower, OS Win 10 Pro 64bit, 8gb of memory and a 1TB HD.

9 x out of 10 when I apply power to the tower all I get is a coded set of flashing lights on the tower's power button (2 flashes space then 1 flash). Most of the time the tower just flashes the power button error code. Once in a blue moon when the power light comes on solid and I press the power button in time. The tower will start up. When the tower does start up, it stays running with no problems.

I have replaced the bios battery, no change. I replaced memory sticks, no change. I tried replacing the HD with a known good one, no change. I am out of ideas as to what to try next.

Steve

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

January 2nd, 2022 22:00

This is a classic tale of failing psu that once in a blue moon was still able to start the system but most of time causing a strange power button behavior. Beware it will fail completely one day soon to come. Time to get a replacement psu.

88 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 03:00

1st off I can't find the service tag number on this mini desktop computer. 2nd where can I buy a replacement PSU?

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 07:00

The service tag info is inside bios if the Dell sticker has gone lost on chassis.

System Information Displays the following information:
  • System Information - Displays BIOS Version, Service Tag, Asset Tag, Ownership Tag, Ownership Date, Manufacture Date, and the Express Service Code

before you buy a replacement do you have a spare working 24/4 pin psu? you can use the spare psu plus a 24 to 8 pin adapter to test 9020 mobo and confirm stock psu is not good.  If you want to jump ahead to get a replacement you have two options: buy genuine Dell psu on eBay, or buy standard form factor psu + the 24 to 8 pin adapter.  Users who chose 2nd option did so because they wanted to upgrade to higher power psu for gpu support.  otoh if you just want to keep the pc vanilla without mod then get the Dell psu (it has proprietary 8 pin white connector).  New psu on eBay or open box on eBay.

Mini-Tower 290 W
No Events found!