Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

December 26th, 2018 12:00

SATA HDD not recognized? Optiplex 790 (solved)

So Im trying to upgrade my old Optiplex 790 with a higher capacity HDD.. I currently have a WD2500YS (250GB) and Im trying to replace it with a Barracuda XT (2TB) drive.. They're both SATA 3.0 so I figure just plugging it into the existing cabling would at least get it to be recognized? Updated BIOS to v22, tried all configs of different cables, boot types, etc. Unplugged everything else (DVD/RW) so the only thing getting power was the HDD. Still nothing. Just stops boot with NO HDD FOUND.. I got into the bios at open up the devices and it's just 0+0+0 I can put the old WD back in and alls fine? The Seagate will spin up as soon as the power button is pushed, but idles down and then I get the error and have to enter BIOS (F12) Once in the BIOS it doesn't see it at all. Is there anything to assume, other then the HDD is DOA?? I got it used off ebay, but from a reputable dealer.. I want to think it's the Optiplex, but keep going back to the fact that I can swap it out with the western digital, which works fine, the BIOS see's fine, etc.? Thanks for a direction.. Mick 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

December 26th, 2018 14:00

@Mickstix wrote:

So Im trying to upgrade my old Optiplex 790 with a higher capacity HDD.. I currently have a WD2500YS (250GB) and Im trying to replace it with a Barracuda XT (2TB) drive.. They're both SATA 3.0 so I figure just plugging it into the existing cabling would at least get it to be recognized? Updated BIOS to v22, tried all configs of different cables, boot types, etc. Unplugged everything else (DVD/RW) so the only thing getting power was the HDD. Still nothing. Just stops boot with NO HDD FOUND.. I got into the bios at open up the devices and it's just 0+0+0 I can put the old WD back in and alls fine? The Seagate will spin up as soon as the power button is pushed, but idles down and then I get the error and have to enter BIOS (F12) Once in the BIOS it doesn't see it at all. Is there anything to assume, other then the HDD is DOA?? I got it used off ebay, but from a reputable dealer.. I want to think it's the Optiplex, but keep going back to the fact that I can swap it out with the western digital, which works fine, the BIOS see's fine, etc.? Thanks for a direction.. Mick 

It is always helpful when buying used to have another PC try the SSD with.

Try using SeaTools for DOS. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005707en

6 Posts

December 26th, 2018 15:00

Thanks for the reply! It's not an SSD, just another SATA with more capacity than the 250GB WD.. But I'll try anything. Also read about making sure the chipset drivers are up to date. I did a scan with Dell System Assist but don't think I let it update anything but the BIOS.. (Having to reinstall the OS after trying to force it to boot in ATA mode) That'll be my last ditch before trying to get a replacement. Just the way it was packed and the vendor, Im having a time believing it's DOA, but we'll see.. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 26th, 2018 16:00

You will either have to SET SATA OPERATION TO ATA

OR

Use F6 mass storage Drivers or no version of windows will SEE the drive.

That includes XP VISTA 7 8 10.

All drives larger than 120 gigs and after 2011 are ADVANCED FORMAT Drives.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln146650/system-image-support-for-advanced-format-hard-drives-on-dell-business-client-notebooks-and-desktops?lang=en

6 Posts

December 27th, 2018 13:00

I would do either of those, which will require a OS reinstall, but I can't even get the BIOS to see the drive. 

As mentioned earlier, it already has a 250GB WD HDD that the system sees fine. Here's a pic of the bios screen, which I currently have the Seagate hooked up to SATA-1 (which is where the DVD/RW usually is) but I've tried it in SATA-0, 1, 2, 3.. Tried different cables, etc. Until I can get the BIOS to recognize there's a drive in the slot, I can't really see reinstalling the OS? 

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/k2mxba.jpg[/IMG]

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2019 18:00

The top listed capacity in the 790 Tech Guide for a 3.5" HDD is 1TB.  This is whether the 790 is an MT, DT, or SFF.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2019 11:00

Turns out the 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS was defective (DOA).. Sent it back and replaced it with a 2TB Western Digital WD2003FYYS RE4 drive and it is working perfectly along side the 250GB WD That was in the system when I got it..  Thanks for the help! 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

January 5th, 2019 13:00

Glad you got it working. :Smile:

No Events found!