Start a Conversation

Unsolved

309 Posts

August 10th, 2022 09:00

SDSSnapshotProcess triggers errors with VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service

I just bought two new Optiplex 7000 Towers and one new Precision 3660 Tower from Dell, all three with Win 10 Pro 64-bit and a number of Dell's add-on programs.

In Event Viewer on all three machines, about twice per day (and NOT at startup), there are pairs of Errors about VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service.  These seem to be triggered instantly by SDSSnapshotProcess, which might be one of those Dell add-on features (not sure).

Now, these VSS Errors occur only some of the time when SDSSnapshotProcess starts, not all of the time.  But the VSS Errors do occur about twice per day and seem always to be triggered by SDSSnapshotProcess.   (FYI - On the other occasions when SDSSnapshotProcess starts (no VSS Error), there is a following Information line that "The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.” )

The full Event Viewer entry for the VSS Errors is the following:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        VSS
Date:          8/7/2022 2:48:48 PM
Event ID:      8194
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-[Deleted]
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
   Gathering Writer Data

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Writer Name: System Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {37cb45f3-0117-4abf-a32e-1ee6a1574338}
Event Xml:
http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x80000000000000

Application
    DESKTOP-Deleted]

The full Event Viewer Information item for the SDSSnapshotProcess process is the following:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SDSSnapshotProcess
Date:          8/7/2022 5:24:07 PM
Event ID:      278
Task Category: (6)
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DESKTOP-[Deleted]
Description:
The description for Event ID 278 from source SDSSnapshotProcess cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Event Xml:
http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> [schemas.microsoft.com]

0x80000000000000

Application
    DESKTOP-[Deleted]

What do you think about the VSS Errors?  How can I fix?

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 11th, 2022 08:00

@glnz 

Your windows came from an enterprise where users don't have full permissions.

error 0x80070005

Either do clean install with local accounts or Admin Subacl Fix.

To correct the problem, you can try the steps below.

1.       Download and install  subinacl from the Microsoft

subinacl.msi

2.       Open Notepad (Click Start, type Notepad, and then press Enter)

3.       Copy and paste the following text into Notepad

Set OSBIT=32

IF exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" set OSBIT=64

set RUNNINGDIR=%ProgramFiles%

IF %OSBIT% == 64 set RUNNINGDIR=%ProgramFiles(x86)%

subinacl /subkeyreg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" /grant="nt service\trustedinstaller"=f

4.       Close Notepad, and make sure you save it.  When you save the text, make sure that you set
Save as Type to “All Files (*.*)”.  Very important!  The file name needs end with .CMD.  For example:  fix.cmd.  Lastly, when you save the file, make sure you save it at a location where it will be easy for you to find.

5.       Right click on the file that you just saved in step #4, and select “Run as Adminstrator”

309 Posts

August 11th, 2022 09:00

speedstep - thanks. 

1. Unfortunately your link for SUBINACL no longer works. What would be the correct link?
  2. Do I still need to install SUBINACL on a new Win 10 Pro 64-bit v 21H2 machine?  (Or is it already there?)
  3. Does your script open up other stuff on these machines to wider access that might be unsafe?
  4. FYI FYI - I bought these PCs myself from Dell, so there is no enterprise that dictated restrictions ... as far as I know.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 11th, 2022 13:00

@glnz 

The link works fine for me.

subinacl.msi

This is one of the things there is support for but its not free from microsoft or Dell.

I'm not going to explain it or support it.  Its not a sound byte. Training and documentation for Domain Access is not simple or free.  SubInACL is not an inbuilt windows tool, we need to download it .

subinacl WIKI

sysinternals-suite

By Mark Russinovich
Updated: July 19, 2022

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p7knl5rwt25

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 11th, 2022 13:00

@glnz 

The link works fine for me.

subinacl.msi

This is one of the things there is support for but its not free from microsoft or Dell.

I'm not going to explain it or support it.  Its not a sound byte. Training and documentation for Domain Access is not simple or free.  SubInACL is not an inbuilt windows tool, we need to download it .

subinacl WIKI

sysinternals-suite

By Mark Russinovich
Updated: July 19, 2022

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p7knl5rwt25

SubInACL is no longer supported in Windows

To change the permission of a folder, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + E on the desktop screen.

2. Right-click on the documents folder.

3. Click on Security tab, then click on Edit to change the permissions.

4. Click the box to allow Home Users full control.

5. Click OK 

309 Posts

August 15th, 2022 08:00

UPDATE FROM OP --

I have tried two things that have NOT worked for this problem:

1)  I have run Macrium Reflect's "Fix VSS Problems" and rebooted.

2)  I have gone to this article: https://www.yourdigitalmind.com/tutorials/how-to-fix-volume-shadow-copy-service-error-unexpected-error-querying-for-the-ivsswritercallback-interface/    and run its Solution 1 only.

No help.  Still getting the VSS Errors triggered by SDSSnapshotProcess 

Now, please go that article and look at its proposed Solution 2.  I am wary about it because it changes access or something at a high level, and NOT two levels down in a particular DCOM component. 

What do you think about that article's Solution 2?

Thanks.

309 Posts

August 16th, 2022 06:00

Dell Support -- and we paid for three years of on-site help for these three new high-end PCs -- has advised that this issue is outside their support obligations. 

Even though I last emailed them that "The VSS Errors are triggered immediately – and only -- by a process called SDSSnapshotProcess, which Dell might have purchased from a third-party vendor called SoftThinks SAS.  No idea what it does.  But could Dell reach out to them to find a solution?"

My question is still whether Solution 2 in the article at https://www.yourdigitalmind.com/tutorials/how-to-fix-volume-shadow-copy-service-error-unexpected-error-querying-for-the-ivsswritercallback-interface/    is safe.

What do you think?

309 Posts

August 31st, 2022 10:00

This is still an issue.  It is happening at least twice a day on three new Dell PCs - two Optiplex 7000s and one Precision 3660.

I will not be trying the above Solution 2 because it comes from a tiny tech article from a writer who has no followers.  Also, I emailed him and he did not respond.

Dell Support has washed its hands and says this type of issue is not covered by them.  Yet I think it is triggered by one of Dell's own added apps/services.

Does anyone else see this in Event Viewer?

2 Posts

June 17th, 2023 07:00

Yes

Bell98_0-1687013826156.png

No Events found!