Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2021 15:00

The problem with the BIOS and the launch of the system.

Hello everybody.

I know it's weird to ask a question about 380 in 2021. But I did an upgrade and it worked well as a PC for simple tasks.
My system has a Quad 600 video card. Quadro B9400 processor. and 2 * 2 RAM. It worked well. But. I decided to experiment with installing different BIOS versions. So when I came to Bios A00 my PC won't start. He makes a beep and 1.3. green indicator light. And now I cannot cancel it. I can not start the system to install another BIOS (which has worked in the past).
Please advise what I can do and what the problem might be.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 10th, 2021 07:00

diagnostic led code can often be misleading.

In general bios can be upgraded with small version gaps but not downgraded.  It is risky to update bios version over a large gap.  Not good idea to update from A00 to A07 in one leap.  Not good either to go back from A07 to A00.

If bios is corrupted and motherboard bricked, can try replace CMOs chip. But 380 motherboard itself costs $10-15. why bother repairing when replacing the board is cheap.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2021 06:00

Hello! And thanks for the advice. I was really thinking about buying a motherboard. But fortunately my friend's programmer (CH341A) helped me. It wasn't easy. Because the Dell site gives the BIOS A07 in (.exe). But I was able to find the necessary (.bin) BIOS A07 on the Internet. So now everything works.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 9th, 2021 06:00

No such thing as Quadro B9400  CPU so there is no advice.

Downgrading bios has bricked your board.  It will never boot again.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2021 07:00

Sorry. I wanted to write processor Quad Q9400.
I thought maybe the reason is that the older BIOS version does not support this processor. Or do you think that replacing the processor will not help start the board? So there is no way I can unlock the board?

Thanks for the answer anyway.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 9th, 2021 11:00

380 support lists only bios A07, A04.  Is there a typo when you said A00?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-380/drivers

changing cpu would not help No POST.  try clear CMOs settings by CMOs jumper.

1. Disconnect the external power from the PC.

2. Remove the computer cover.

3. Locate the 2-pin password connector (PSWD) on the system board.

4. Remove the 2-pin jumper plug.

5. Locate the 2-pin CMOS jumper (RTCRST) on the system board.

6. Move the 2-pin jumper plug from the PSWD pins onto the RTCRST pins for approximately 5 secs.

7. Return the 2-pin jumper plug to the PSWD pins.

8. Replace the computer cover.

9. Connect your computer to main power again, and turn it on.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000129583/no-post-no-power-no-video-on-a-dell-desktop-computer#CMOS

4 Posts

January 9th, 2021 13:00

I have used this.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=fc2tf

Thanks for the advice. But I already tried this and battery extraction too.
It is very strange that the light indicators on the case show (the problem RAM). Although these RAM were good even in basic configuration. But the cpu was installed by me in the past after updating the system to A007. So I thought "if install a simple basic cpu, then the old BIOS will work." But if you say no, then it's sad.

Do you think using a pragromator for bios is the only way?

Thank you!

No Events found!