Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

10 Posts

January 29th, 2023 05:00

Wi-fi upgrade for Optiplex

My Optiplex 7050 is used as a media machine, used for streaming content to my television.  It has a dongle for 2.4 GHz wi-fi, and because our house has 5 GHz wif-available, I'd like to upgrade to that.

Unfortunately, I've bought four different dual-band USB dongles -- all listed as supporting Linux -- but none has been recognized by the Optiplex.

This computer is running fully-updated Siduction Linux, which is based on Debian.  I've had the same issue when I was using SolusOS, which is an independent distribution, so I don't believe the OS has anything to do with this.

Any thoughts on how I could get one of these dual-band dongles to work with the Optiplex would be appreciated.  Thanks!  

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 29th, 2023 06:00

Do you have another pc (desktop or laptop) running Windows 10 you can use to test these dual-band USB dongle?

10 Posts

January 29th, 2023 10:00

No Windows -- we're 100% Linuxu here.  But these dongles are all brand-new, just out of their packages.  It's not very likely that any of them is faulty, much less all four of them

10 Posts

January 29th, 2023 17:00

Yes, I have several other computers, all of them running Linux.  It won't help to try the dongles on a laptop, because they have internal wi-fi radios.  But I have another Optiplex that's currently using a different Linux distro.  It's connected via an Ethernet cable, but I can still see whether it recognizes the dongle.  

Thanks for your reply.  I'll try that this evening.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 30th, 2023 16:00

Re: none has been recognized by the Optiplex.

it sounds like a driver issue.  go inside device manager of Linux if there is such a thing and look for unknown device with a ?

No Events found!