Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

December 28th, 2018 12:00

speed up Optiplex 3040

Hi, i have a 3040 Windows 8.1 which has a basic Samsung CM871 SSD that i would like to speed up. I thought of replacing the SSD & would like opinions on 2 possible solutions. 1) Replace with better Samsung 860EVO. I assume this would be a straight swap, but would i see much speed increase? 2) Is there a way to use a NVme instead? How can it be fitted and would it be compatible with the system? Thoughts appreciated. John

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 28th, 2018 15:00

Any SSD you buy in the 2.5" configuration is going to run at the same speed as your current drive. That is a SATA limitation. You could add an M.2 PCIe adapter but I am not sure the drive would be bootable.

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

December 28th, 2018 19:00

How do you guys prefer people to show their Specs here?  Is it okay to provide a Service Tag?

I would like to know more about this pc if performance is the question.  I can only assume that it has a good processor and at least 4GB of RAM but more is better for this conversation.  Would you provide the specs please, either via "System Info" or something like Speccy.  With Speccy you can post the Link or just save to .txt and copy the things you want to share and post them. 

I'm no Pro, but I can see the Samsung 860EVO has faster Write Speeds, but this won't light the world on fire in most situations.  Sure it is a gain, but is it really worth it to you?  A new drive combined with a New Install maybe just enough to make you happy again, you'll need to weigh the scales on that.

Personally I am okay with a CPU that is 3.40Ghz or higher, and Two Cores seem to do fine for me also.  If you really want to pile on, you could do the EVO and a new processor with a higher clock speed, depending on what you have now of course.  Just some ideas.  

December 29th, 2018 02:00

Thanks for reply. The PC is fine, just would like a bit more speed generally. It has 8GB RAM with i5 650 at 3.2. I don't want the hassle or expense of new chip but wondered if £50 on a 860EVO would provide a real world benefit over the existing Samsung CM871. On paper the EVO has much better specs, but is this really noticeable in real world ? Thanks John

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

December 29th, 2018 06:00

Now that we have more info I would say definitely no!  That is quite old Intel hardware.  That MB almost certainly only supports SATA-II, and that is already a bottleneck to the SSD you have now.  IMO It is always good to provide a Service Tag or at least the exact pc Model.  That way folks can see all your components right away and give you better info.   

You can download and install Speccy and run it from time to time to make sure things are all running cool, and create a Link or .txt file to keep all your specs handy on a USB Flash Drive.  Using Speccy

The better upgrade would be the cpu.  These should work: Core i5-660, Core i5-661 or Maybe Core i5-680.  Those all have higher core speeds and can be had for about 50.00 on Ebay.

No Events found!