Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 08:00

If some technology gave you 20% of your day back, what would you use that time for?

From the work that we did on standardization and virtualization, I now find I am spending much less time being reactive.  This has opened up the ability to be more proactive in my daily work.  With this time I have focuced the majority of my time on two things.  The first is automation.  I have begun to automate as much as possible.  While this effort will yield to significant time savings within IT, more importantly it provides a much more consistent method.  With automated database and application tier startup scripts, the application will always startup exactly the same way.  This has yielded many more successful startups and has removed the variables of how the app was started, when diagnosing problems.

The other this I find I am focusing on is learning.  Now that I am not doing all of my learning under fire, I am discovering new capabilities and better ways of doing things with the technology I have and with technologies I do not have.  One of these was the discovery of the GuestAppMonitor SDK, released with vSphere 5.0 and discussed in this thread : Is anyone using VMware GuestAppMonitor SDK?

So if you majically had 20% of your day now available to focus on being proactive, what would you focus on?

40 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 07:00

One of OracleVM's 'selling points' has been that it is application aware. Although I haven't played with that functionality (I've been spending my extra 20% of time managing more projects!), I think VMware's GuestAppMonitor should help get VMware functionality on this issue to at least match OracleVMs.

As far as that 20% - like you I've made thing much more automated and repeatable, but at the same time I've add numerous systems to what I typically touch and manage - so I just managing more of the same essentially

256 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 12:00

I would spend more time hugging and kissing my wife and kids.

No Events found!