Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2014 07:00

Plans for OEM 12c Plug-In for VPLEX?

A customer has a situation in which it would be advantageous to have an OEM 12c plug-in for VPLEX. We presently have such plugins for VMAX and VNX. Anyone know of a plan for a similar plugin for VPLEX?

20 Posts

February 24th, 2014 05:00

Got it Troy. Thanks for the info. I can't promise any time-frames but we understand VPLEX coverage is important for more and more customers.

Thanks again all,

Tom

28 Posts

February 20th, 2014 13:00

Jeff,

Very good question.

bg

20 Posts

February 21st, 2014 06:00

Hi Jeff,

This question has come up before and we are looking at additional platforms but we haven't nailed down a roadmap for them at this point. Since the VPLEX is a bit of a special beast - multiple layers that could each have their own performance stats of interest - more information on what kinds of metrics the customer would like would always be helpful.

Are they looking for just VPLEX stats or do they want the back-end array metrics as well? Do they do straight pass-through of volumes from the back-end array or do they carve them up? Do they create volumes from multiple arrays?

Thanks,

Tom

256 Posts

February 21st, 2014 06:00

Tom:

All of our OEM plug-ins are monitoring only at this point. See the VNX or VMAX links I sent above for more information. We would be looking at simply monitoring and performance stats. Plus discovery of course. The issue arose because the customer is having trouble mapping the Oracle tablespaces to ASM diskgroups to LUNs on the VPLEX.

Regards,

Jeff

256 Posts

February 21st, 2014 07:00

Tom:

Sorry if I was being pedantic. I have pulled the field resource into the conversation. He should update you with the specifics.

Regards,

Jeff

20 Posts

February 21st, 2014 07:00

Jeff,

I'm aware of the current plug-ins - I helped develop them. What I was asking was for more detail on what kinds of performance stats the customer was looking for in relation to how the VPLEX was deployed. Since the VPLEX adds a layer of abstraction above the back-end array, there are therefore separate performance metrics for each of those layers. Maybe they only care about the performance at the VPLEX layer. Maybe they want to see that *as well as* the performance of the constituent volumes of the back-end VMAX or VNX (or both?) providing the actual storage.

Just looking to get a clearer picture of how deep they would want to go.

Tom

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2014 23:00

Hi Tom,

At the moment, my customer has a Production and DR site running VPLEX Local + Recoverpoint with a single VNX5600 per site. This specific combination of EMC products is one of my favourite as I know the competitors will find it tough when we are competing on functions and features. I figure having a VPLEX plugin will be great as it will be applicable for all storage virtualized under VPLEX and we will have an additional value-add to provide our customers when we virtualize 3-rd party storage array.

My customer has not really gone in-depth into saying the specific metrics that they wish to see but  I will think that even when we have multiple arrays virtualized under VPLEX, most customers will want to keep the volumes mapped to their Oracle DB confined to a single array to ensure performance consistency ( in VPLEX local implementation) and being able to the see the backend array's stats with straight through volume mapped through VPLEX will be a good start.

Thanks and Regards,

Troy Aw

No Events found!