Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

April 13th, 2020 18:00

PSU doesn't show any lights

Hi, 

I have an old R710 server with an A870-00 PSU and a N870P-S0 PSU. The server has been off for a little while, but functioned perfectly fine the last time is was on. Now, I can't seem to get it to turn on. The PSU indicator lights don't light up at all, and I'm positive the outlets they're plugged in to are functioning.

I can't seem to find a BIST button on either PSU. 

What can I do to make them work?

• 

3.1K Posts

April 13th, 2020 23:00

Hi,

If the PSU LED does not lid, it might be having issue. To confirm, before you plug in to the outlet, just try connecting to monitor power. Then remove the PSU. Connect the power cable and the power outlet. If the LED lights up, then either the main board or the PDB of the server is faulty.

Try removing all components except the below and check if you're able to turn on.

•System board 
•Risers
•Processor (CPU1) with Heatsink
•1 Power Supply
•One stick of memory in dual in-line memory module (DIMM) slot A1
•Control Panel with cable

2 Posts

April 14th, 2020 19:00

I'm not sure I entirely understand the first part of your suggestion. But I connected a monitor to the server with the PSUs removed, then reconnected them and attempted to turn the server on, but nothing seemed to happen.

I also removed everything except for the parts you suggested I keep, but it still didn't turn on or show any indication of power or anything.

Do you have any other suggestions? Is there somewhere I can take the server so somebody can look at it?

Thank you

• 

3.1K Posts

April 14th, 2020 22:00

Hi, 

What I meant was to remove both PSU out from the server. Attach the power cable to the PSU (just the PSU) to check if the power LED lights up. This is to check if the PSU is receiving power and providing power to the server. 

With the current lockdown, I am unsure if there is any resellers are available, but if you're comfortable bring it down for someone, you can try locating any local reseller search here: https://dell.to/2VtUGrl

No Events found!