Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ST

February 7th, 2012 03:00

R310 Power settings 'Active Power Controller' vs 'System DBPM'

Hi,

Can someone tell me the difference between 'Active Power Controller' and 'System DBPM' ?

And what is the best option for Windows 2008 R2 and RHEL 5/6 ?

Stephan

180 Posts

February 10th, 2012 11:00

Hi Stephan,

Please refer to this DellTechCenter wiki article: en.community.dell.com/.../best-practices-in-power-management.aspx

Active Power Controller enables Dell System DBPM but BIOS will not make all P states available to OS. The memory frequency will be set to maximum performance and the fan algorithm will be set to  minimum power.

DBPM is demand based power management profile that set the power configuration for the system.

As for your 2nd question, it depends on your application - performance requirements vs power consumption? There is a max performance setting that would enable maximum performance at the maximum power consumption.

Regards,

KongY

130 Posts

February 16th, 2012 01:00

I already saw this wiki page, but I'm still wondering what (if) there is any difference in real live between 'OS Control' and 'Active Power Controller'

180 Posts

February 20th, 2012 08:00

Stephan,

There could be differences & overlap because in OS Control mode, all the possible P states are exposed by BIOS to the OS so the OS can change P states based on its settings while in Active Power Controller, BIOS does not make all P states available to the OS so the OS won't have the full range of P states to change to. So the difference will be in those instances where the algorithm can not change P state in Active Power Controller to the non-exposed P states that OS Control mode could.

63 Posts

February 21st, 2012 23:00

so, 'OS Control' is a better choice for whom need to balance power saving and performance?

63 Posts

February 26th, 2012 01:00

so, 'OS Control' is a better choice for whom need to balance power saving and performance?

63 Posts

February 27th, 2012 06:00

If my OS is Windows Server 2008 R2, which mode is better, OS Contorl or Active Power Controller?

180 Posts

March 27th, 2012 12:00

Hi AW,

It depends on your application, Quality-of-Service (QoS) & power consumption requirements. OS Control will expose all P states which gives the OS more opportunity to higher your P states to meet performance spikes or lower your P states during periods of idle. OS Control will have more P-states available to the OS versus Active Power Controller, which depends on which P-states the BIOS engineer decided not to expose to the OS so APC will have less P-state compensation for peaks and valleys vs OS Control.

Regards,

Kong

63 Posts

April 4th, 2012 07:00

Thanks.

No Events found!