Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 14:00

Dell Power Edge T300 Booting to CD ROM Issues.

I am new to Server setups. I have so far figured out how setup my raid controller. But now I want to install the OS (Server 2003). The problem is when I select in the boot options to boot from the CD ROM, nothing happens. Just sits there. I know the CD ROM works, I pulled it put into another machine and tested it. I then put it back into the Server and insured all connections were securely ceded. Tried again, but no avail, it simply will not boot to the CD ROM. In the BIOS I can see the CD ROM and when I first power up the server the CD ROM spins up, but when I tell it to boot to the CD ROM nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I search these forums and so far found nothing to help me. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 13th, 2014 16:00

Zasd.

Have you verified that the CD-ROM is visable in the BIOS? Is it also listed in the Boot Menu F11? If not then the port may need to be enabled that the CD-ROM is connected to.

Let us know what you see.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2014 08:00

Is it possible to post pictures? I have taken pictures of all the BIOS screens and RAID controller screens. I have ensured the CD ROM is visible in the BIOS and is enabled (SATA Port A). In the BOOT menu it says optical device or drive, but says optical something, though it does not name the device as it does in the BIOS. Not sure why this is not working, seems like I'm missing a step somewhere.

3 Posts

January 15th, 2014 14:00

I got it to work finally. Here is what I had to do. It's sort of dumb. So I restart the server and get into to boot menu. I then had to open the CD ROM tray, select optical drive, close the tray and hit enter. Jacked up process. Stupid puter.
No Events found!