Highlighted
mystudio
Bronze

Dell PowerEdge 830 compatible processors?

Jump to solution

I have a PowerEdge 830 with a Pentium 4 @ 2,8 Ghxz processor in it. If I am not mistaken, the server could also be configured with a Pentium D processor @ 3 GHz. But, I am not sure about this. Reason of asking; I'd like to upgrade the processor with a Pentium D 930 processor. That is a dual core 3 GHz processor with the 775 socket.

Anyone who knows this for sure?

Thanks in advance!

Marco

0 Kudos
12 Replies
at5147
Gold

Re: Dell PowerEdge 830 compatible processors?

Jump to solution

If I am not mistaken, that system will support the Pentium D 830 or 840, which are the Smithfield procs. Those are dual core too. Don't think it will support the 930, which is one of the Presler procs.

0 Kudos
mystudio
Bronze

Jump to solution

Hm, when I do a search with Google, I get several results talking about a PowerEdge 830 with a Pentium D @ 3Ghz. That can only be the 930 processor, I thought......

I cannot find a site where al possible processors for the PowerEdge 830 are listed......

0 Kudos
veltech
Silver

Jump to solution

I think the 930 Processor has 4M cache and is not supported. My guess is that the highest processor that is supported is the smithfield Pentium D 3.2/2M/800

One of the stepcodes you can search for is sl88r

0 Kudos
at5147
Gold

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
veltech
Silver

Jump to solution

I just confirmed the smithfield Pentium D 3.2/2M/800 SL88R does work in the poweredge 830 that I have.

0 Kudos
mystudio
Bronze

Jump to solution

The Smithfield you name is the D 840, isn't it?

0 Kudos
veltech
Silver

Jump to solution

Yes, it is the intel D 840

0 Kudos
mystudio
Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, talked to technical services of Dell and according to them the Intel D 930 proc is a supported upgrade for the PE830.........unfortunatelly I wasn't smart enough to ask which other processors also could be uses as an upgrade. I mean, the 940 or 950 could also be an upgrade....but, I dont know for those ones......

Probably I'm gonna search for a 930 and try it. Should work.........

0 Kudos
mystudio
Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, for the record and Google, I can confirm the Intel Pentium D930 does work in the Poweredge 830. So, VT is now enabled and HyperV can run on the PE830 with this upgrade.

Regards, Marco