Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2011 10:00

PCIe Trining Error: Embedded NIC 3

Greetings,

The server R710 had a prolonged power outage. When the power came back on the system booted and was then halted for a

"PCIe Training Error: Embedded NIC 3"

I read other posts on this  but they all involved PCI BUS and Cards and their solutions did not pertain because the error involves an embedded component.

I cannot get in to the BIOS because of the System Halt. Is the anyway I can bypass this error or disable the Training Error reporting altogether?

Thank you for any response.

Keith

• 

8.8K Posts

October 14th, 2011 11:00

Keith,

The PCIe Training Error: Embedded NIC 3 error is generally referring to the motherboard being damaged.

Would you take the server to a Minimum to Post  configuration, that is removing everything but the following devices;

System board

Risers

Processor (CPU1) with Heatsink

Power Supply

One stick of memory in DIMM slot A1

Control Panel w/cable

After that then we need to clear the NVRam. You do this by finding the jumper between the dimm bank and the power supplies and moving the jumper to the other pin and then power up the server. After that then power down and restore the jumper. Then power the server to see if it will complete post.

If the server fails to complete post under that configuration then it is likely the board is damaged.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2011 13:00

I did all that you asked and the same error came up.

I noticed on boot that NIC 3 and NIC 4 were disabled. They are not needed for my server. Is there a method of bypassing the error "Those LAN ports are not required" or do I need to replace the entire motherboard?

Thanks for the quick response

Keith

• 

8.8K Posts

October 14th, 2011 14:00

Keith,

If you can't access the BIOS then you can't disable the ports, if you could reach the BIOS then you can go to Integrated Devices - Then disable NIC port 3 and 4.

Without being able to access the BIOS you will need to replace the motherboard for the server.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2014 19:00

I have the same issue and followed your instructions. I was able to get to the BIOS after I cleared the NVRAM and then disabled NIC 2. When I rebooted, it still gives me the error even though NIC 2 is now disabled. Does this mean the motherboard is FRIED?

1 Message

June 30th, 2015 16:00

The way I fixed this error on the R710 was to follow the N_VRAM clearing method. But here is the tricky part....

You need to have the server panel cracked open and have a keyboard and monitor connected. Boot up with the N_VRAM pins engaged, you will get a message that says"N_VRAM pins are enabled, enter SETUP". Boot into F2 "SystemSetup" and go to "Integrated Devices". The default should have everything enabled. Before disabling the NIC 3 and NIC4 remove the N_VRAM jumper and move it to its default location. Disable the NICS, Save the settings an reboot. The boot up screen will say "NIC = OS Disabled, NIC Managment = Disabled" The system will now boot up without the HALT Training PCIe error.

13 Posts

July 16th, 2016 20:00

I experienced then same 'PCIe training error - Embedded NIC 1, system halted', but the end result is a different and serious issue.  Once I got this error and powered off and unplugged the AC power from one power supply and plugged it into the other one (this server has dual power supplies), nothing happened when I attempted to power on, no display on control panel LED.

I got another control panel assembly and this time the power switch worked, but I got the same 'PCIe training error...' as before and once again after powering off, the control panel assembly was non-functional again as before (this time I simply powered off and nothing else).  Power switch does nothing, no display on LED.  Even attempting to reinstall the old control panel assembly is useless.

If this motherboard is bad, can it be cause a control panel assembly to get fried and fail after the first try?!

No Events found!