Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

April 2nd, 2008 11:00

PE 2400 wont boot after bios update

Hello,

I have a PE 2400  and it worked just fine, but i recently i have made an bios upgrade from A04 to A09. After this upgrade i have some problems:

After power on  i receive the message "Firmware out of date...."; the sistem recognize my procesors, detects my SCSI controlers (with HDD's and CD-ROM) and after  theat  it stops. It's not booting, it's not entering bios... Hitting the NumLock key still makes the light on the keyboard turn on and off, but pressing F2 or F10 do nothing. If I have a bootable cd in the CD-ROM it's detects theat is bootable cd but it dosent boot from the cd.

After reading on this forum i tryed the following things with no succes:

- re arange the cables --  same problem

- remove all aditional cards and start again -- same problem

- I've tried jumping the ISA_CLR jumper and I've also removed the CMOS battery -- same problem

- power on with backplane  disconnected -- same problem

- power on with just one procesor --  same problem, no beep

- power on without RAM - lots of beeps

pls any help

P.S. pls dont tell me to change my MB 

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 21:00

Ok, but how can i do theat if i cant boot ?

1.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2008 21:00

I'm guessing you'd probably need to update other system firmware such as the BMC, Raid controller etc...

Either that, or backflash the bios to A04 again and be done with it.

1.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 03:00

Thats a mighty fine question. So it won't boot off any bootable device, whether its the hard drives or a CD/Floppy? If you can't boot to anything at all, I dare say you're out of luck and may need to look at replacing the motherboard.

By the looks of it, it's having problems with a firmware mismatch. Meaning the BIOS isn't compatible with the BMC (most likely). As this is a component of the motherboard, you can't actually remove it to prevent the mismatch occuring. I can only conclude the MB may need replacing.

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 11:00

- replacing the motherboard is the last thing i want to do :(

- when i am jumping the ISA_CLR jumper a message showld appear; i reciving no message....

- on the official site for downloads ther are no mentions about a non compatibleti betwen A09 BIOS and the old firmware

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 12:00

"on the official site for downloads ther are no mentions about a non compatible"

Very sweet of Dell, like this has not happened before... you can't be the only one. 

Is this the mobo?

Ebay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-System-Board-PE-2400-p3-09JJH_W0QQitemZ120181493757QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1244QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 12:00

yes 

but i can't just buy it from Ebay, i am from romania and ther are some problems with delivery from ebay to romania :(

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 19:00

Bummer.. if you were over here, like everyone else is, getting stuff from Ebay would be easy :smileyhappy: 

1.2K Posts

April 4th, 2008 00:00

The incompatibility may not have occured in A09, but a version between A03 and A09. This would then (most likely) effect all versions of BIOS from when this incompatibility occured. This may or may not be listed on the support site though.

6 Posts

April 4th, 2008 08:00

so...the only way is to change my MB ? or ia a nather way to flsh the bios ?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 4th, 2008 20:00

Dumb question, did you try to get into the bios with just a keyboard (swapped) and video attached, nothing else connected ? Seen similar issues when a floppy, Cdrom or hardrive interface dies.

6 Posts

April 5th, 2008 13:00

i have tryed theat to, no results. And  MB_ACT_LED is off and System alert indicator is blinking.

April 18th, 2008 18:00

BIOS (and other firmware) should not be stepped more than 2 versions at a time.  You should have gone from A04 to A06 to A08 to A09.  This way you would not be skipping more than one bios version.  Back flash the BIOS back to A04, and then step it to A06 then A08 then A09.  After bios is up to date, update ESM the same way, remember not to skip more than one revision at a time.

Good luck.

No Events found!