Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 18th, 2018 12:00

Unable to upgrade Dell R710 BIOS due to lack of contiguous memory

I have a Dell R710 out-of-warranty and I'm trying to upgrade the BIOS on the server from 1.1.4 to 6.4.0, however I keep getting the following error message:

Device: BIOS
    Application: BIOS
    Enough contiguous physical memory is not available to perform teh BIOS update running under this Operating System. Reboot and try again.

I'm on 5 reboots with no change and my server has a total of 18 1Gb RAM modules. I'm unable to find a physical RAM requirement for upgrading to the latest BIOS version. Is there something I'm missing or a minimum amount of RAM needed to get this to work? I'm applying the entire upgrade via bootable USB drive with some trivial mounting issues at the beginning of the upgrade process.

• 

6.2K Posts

January 18th, 2018 15:00

Hello

If the operating system is unable to allocate the requested amount of contiguous memory for the application then I suggest using another update method. You can use the unpackaged version of the update and boot from DOS bootable media to run it. You can also use the Windows 32-bit DUP from the update and rollback section of the iDRAC web interface.

Thanks

No Events found!