Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 23rd, 2017 12:00

intel x520 and PE R620

hello i was reviewing technical guide for the PER620 and it say the Intel X520 SFP+ CNA is not supported as iSCSI HBA can you tell me what exactly this means?

i currently have the card in my server and updated with latest drivers..

This card was purchased to connect VMware host to iSCSI SAN. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 14:00

Hello.

Please provide the part number of this card to enable us look up more compatibility information.

Thank you.

192 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 14:00

Intel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Server Adapter,Full Height,CusKit

DELL - 540-BBDR

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 15:00

The device in question is a Network Adapter which is supported in the R620 server. It is not iSCSI adapter also known as iSCSI HBA. See link: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=540-bbdr#Overview. iSCSI HBA provides SAN connectivity over TCP/IP and Ethernet network which in turn offloads the iSCSI and TCP/IP processing to the adapter to speed up performance. This feature is not available in this card and thus not a supported feature as per your reference.

9.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 20:00

To add/clarify Robert's statement; you can use the card just fine for iSCSI, but it will need to be software iSCSI connectivity (very commonly used for VMware ESXi, Windows Server and Linux distros).

You just won't be able to boot to an iSCSI disk (and shouldn't use an iSCSI disk as a swap file location for the OS running on the physical server (if you're running virtual machines that get their storage from the hypervisor, they could use the iSCSI disk for swap file location just fine).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 24th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Dev Mgr for additional information!

No Events found!