Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2013 09:00

"Attempting PXE boot" - make it stop!

Everytime I reboot, the system shows "Attempting PXE boot" in upper right of screen after the progress bar fully loads. Any ideas?

Specs:
PowerEdge R610
one add in Quad port Intel ET NIC
Bios Version             = 6.2.3
iDRAC Version            = 1.90
USC Version              = 1.5.5.27

Tried:
Reset idrac: "racadm racreset"
Reset to defaults idrac: "racadm racresetcfg"
Reset to defaults system: "syscfg --loaddefaults"
Disabled all NICs in boot order and made sure disk was on top
Messed with PXE bootonce settings. They look fine.
Forced same version install of idrac, Lifecycle controller and BIOS
Looked at relaese notes of newer FW to see if something was fixed. I didnt see anything.
Flea power drain.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

April 12th, 2013 11:00

there is an alternate nvram location used to store boot sequence settings, it supposed to be for single use, but sometimes the bit doesnt get cleared. The clear NVram option will not clear it, so wipeclean must be used.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Boot to the BIOS Setup, Integrated Devices, and set NIC's to Enabled or Enabled without PXE rather than Enabled with PXE ... or something similar.  Or you can try to disable NIC's in the Boot Sequence list.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

Here is what  your settings should look like:

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

April 12th, 2013 10:00

download this file from the support site, this is the NON-Packaged (DOS based) bios update. R610-060300C.exe.  boot to a bootable USB key or floppy disc that boots to DOS, then run the file like this: R610-060300c.exe /wipeclean. That should resolve the issue.

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

April 12th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the quick replies.

I forgot to add that to the Tried section. I already tried to set the embedded nics to "Enabled" and disabled the Intel PXE capability on the Intel ET card at the same time.

I also just tried to set the embedded nics to disabled in the BIOS setup and it still tried to PXE boot.

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

April 12th, 2013 11:00

What does the /wipeclean option do?

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

April 12th, 2013 12:00

I had two of them in the same state. I hit the nail on the head with the special sequence of events. I fixed one somehow.

Trying the LCC repair package soon.

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

Good info.

Is this stored on the MASER? If so, would a Lifecycle Controller repair package also do the clear?

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

As far as I know, its not on the maser, but if you would like to try the repair first, please do so, it would be interesting to know if that resolved it. You’re the second case I have ever seen of a system in this state.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

April 15th, 2013 07:00

Do you recall the steps that put the systems into this state, that would also be good info for our teams here.

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

April 16th, 2013 15:00

I went the route of clearing the NVRAM with the motherboard jumper. The PXE booting is gone. Thanks for your help.

Both systems were rebuilt so there are many different settings which could have done this.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2013 10:00

I'm not the only one!

I don't think Dell has a CLUE as to how ANNOYING this is!!!

What rocket scientist thought hiding these setting would be good idea? Top dollar for sloppy finish...shame on Dell. 

No Events found!