Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2012 19:00

Adding Global Hot Spare to Current Raid5 setup in T710

Hello,

I have a T710 setup with 4 SAS HDD's in a RAID5 configuration.  They occuppy slots 0,1,2 and 3.  I would like to add(introduce) another HDD as a global hot spare for this array.  I have added another identical HDD in slot 4.  How can I make this a global hot spare?  Can I do this through OSMA or do I have to due this in the BIOS?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 15th, 2012 20:00

"Foreign Configuration Operations......" then Clear.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2012 23:00

It can be done in the BIOS (CTRL-R BIOS utility for the PERC controllers):  Highlight controller, F2, Assign Hot Spare.

It can also be done from the dropdown menus in OMSA:  Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks or Storage, PERC, Backplane/Connector, Physical Disks.

52 Posts

January 14th, 2012 03:00

Hello Flash - thank you for youe reply.  I went into the OSMA and the disc shows foreign - the only options from the drop down menu are blink and unblink.....I just want to be careful I do it right so as not to screw up the raid array.......

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2012 15:00

Any time a drive has a configuration on it from another controller/array, its configuration on the disk will be flagged as foreign and wait for you to do something with it.  Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration (link at top of the page), Foreign/Clear from the dropdown menu; you don't want to Import it.  Once cleared, then you can add it as a HS.

52 Posts

January 14th, 2012 17:00

From within OSMA I select storage and then the information/configuration at the top, then I get a global proerties with the only selection on the drop down menu to set hot spare protection policy.....when i drill down to the newly inserted disk, the only choices I have are blink and unblink......

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 15th, 2012 12:00

In OMSA, go to Storage, then PERC, then Information/Configuration ... you want the dropdown menu of available tasks for the controller itself.

52 Posts

January 15th, 2012 13:00

Ok - followed that and the available choices on the dropdown menu for Controller Tasks are:

Create Virtual Disk........

Reset Configuration......

Export Log........

Set Patrol Read Mode.......

Change Configuration Properties.......

Foreign Configuration Operations......

52 Posts

January 16th, 2012 01:00

Got it  - thank you for your patience :)

No Events found!