Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

June 4th, 2020 20:00

Amount of time that Dell Power Edge R730xd server with H730P controller card in RAID 6 config will take to integrate 4 new hard

I have a Dell Power Edge R730xd server with an H730P RAID controller card that has eight 1 TB hard drives in a RAID 6 configuration. This server currently has Server 2019 installed. I will be receiving 4 more 1 TB hard drives of the same make and model next week. How long will it take this Dell Power Edge R730xd server with H730P controller card to integrate the 4 new hard drives? I'm hoping that this won't take too long and that I won't have to reload the Server 2019 operating system.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

June 5th, 2020 01:00

The four 1 TB hard drives will be added to the existing RAID 6 array.

Currently, I'm only using 100 GB for the Server OS within the RAID 6 array.

• 

3.1K Posts

June 5th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

Are you using the new 4 1TB drives to expand the capacity of your existing RAID6 VD or you're creating a seperate virtual disk for the system to access? 

Anyways, either both ways, you won't have to reload your OS.

There is no definite answer on the duration of rebuilding/reconstruction of existing disk array, it will be depending on the total space usage. I assume you are using almost all the space available on the RAID6 VD, that's probably the reason you're expanding with another 4. So reconstructing 6TB of data, would probably take some time. 

But if you're creating just a new VD as a seperate virtual drive for the OS, then it's instant. 

• 

3.1K Posts

June 5th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

Then, you would use the Reconfigure disk to add the drives into your existing array. Then use Online Capacity Expansion to expand the array size. Be sure to do full data backup. 

• 

8.4K Posts

June 5th, 2020 09:00

You could from OpenManage Enterprise or OpenManage Server Administrator, but I am fairly certain it requires a reboot to see the storage.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

June 5th, 2020 09:00

What utility do I need to load so I can do this within Windows without rebooting the server?

No Events found!